The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Revell Beaufighter TF X conversion

Well Ralph, this will be back on the bench after the new year festivities have ended.

Time to knit an end to it (Dutch phrase).

Cees

I've seen that Revell has reboxed the Beaufighter so I'm going to pick one up at the hobby shop and do another build with current skill set!

What colors did you use for the underside? I want to do the Typhoon is the two grays but can't figure the bottom?  I use Tamiya paints??

Well, the good news fort this thread in the new year is that progress has been made. using the kit prop blades and Jerry Rutman resin prop hubs I managed to cobble together two accurate looking props. The bad news is that I still cannot post pics using photobucket on my IPad since the terrible update and correction upgrades.

So no pics this time.

Cees

• 1 month later...

Thanks, but this is a pic uploaded from my iPad filmrol as an attachment. I don't think it!s the way to do it. . Why it came out upside down I dont know. Still working on the photoposting problem. The Beau is almost finished bar the observers canopy which needs to be crashmoulded.

Cees

Here's an overview of the recent progress on the Beau:

I tried to represent the inner structure of the canopy using brass rod that was superglued to the inside. After masking this was painted interior green, the outside was painted green as well to represent the strips on the inside. After that I cut small strips of aluminium tape to represent the strips on the outside and later painted the exterior colour. The tape can be slightly sanded to represent wear and the metal colour to shine through. Very effective, and the ragged edges of green on the inside was on purpose as this shows the aluminium as well on the inside and represent interior wear and tear. This tape has a lot of uses.

20150112_210858_zpsf1549680.jpg

20150114_190620_zpsc8807bf3.jpg

20150114_192007_zpscbb4b232.jpg

20150114_193130_zps14efce14.jpg

20150116_193256_zpseafe70a8.jpg

20150116_193424_zps12a741a6.jpg

20150126_195055_zpsa2b94a81.jpg

The propellers were made using Jerry Rutmans resin hamilton standard prop hubs and some drastic surgery to the kit prop blades. Now they better represent the slender DH propblades.

20150110_204524_zps8e1f2fef.jpg

The MDC rockets, I could only use four out of eight as some were badly warped and even hot water couldn not get them into shape

20150120_194746_zps6c64d7c3.jpg

So glad this photo posting problem has been solved. Now I can post that Whirwind book review at last.

Hope you like the progress on the Beau so far. A lot of it was re- and scratchbuilt, but a great journey. Only thing left to do is to crashform the observers canopy.

Until next time

Cees

• Like 2

A few more:

The nose intake

20150202_200341_zpsb502c47b.jpg

Rockets in situ, I am not so happy with those, as they are quite crude. Haven't decided yet what to do.

20150204_200704_zps0ad8de6a.jpg

And the pigtail connectors in situ, the rocketfairings I scratchbuilt. The red represents a fabric covering strip.

20150205_195407_zpsf12c4d3d.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Today found New inspiration to get this long project finished after two years. The observer canopy from the Lodela kit was prepared for fitting as were the profimodeller rockets. I hope to finish it this week or the Next. Pics to follow.

Cees