The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:4 Messerschmitt Bf 110 Instrument Panel

• Administrators

For my GB entry, and because my time is seriously limited, I thought I'd throw this one into the pot.

14001_zps1664279a.jpg

I've had this for a while, so looking forward to getting it built. 

I might even do something this weekend, workload prevailing.  :2guns:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Whilst I'm waiting for the Pfalz to seal, I thought I'd take a look at this one. All the parts are now removed from the sprues, and bagged into stages, ready for paint and installation.

One thing I did notice when test fitting was that one of the instruments had its locating pins in the opposite corners to the holes in the IP base. I must've missed it, nbut I never saw anyone else mention this when they did a build. I extrapolated the positions of the current holes out to the opposite corners in the recess, then drilled out. 

Et Voila!

DSC01184_zps6a67f724.jpg

DSC01185_zps2b1f3eaf.jpg

DSC01186_zps2b9d2855.jpg

• Administrators

These images are a little grainy, but never mind.

The panel was sprayed with Gunze RLM66, then lightened and darkened mixes were blasted over areas where bezels would be, and plates are fastened. the whole lot is then over-sprayed with thinned base coat to blend it in.

DSC01187_zpsce94d5bb.jpg

DSC01188_zpsaeb1e4e3.jpg

• Like 2

Nice Jim. Are you weathering yours?  I'm not sure what I'll do with mine - I really want to have them (the 109 IP too) framed to hang on the wall of my office so can't decide; weathered or pristine????? don't know.

• Administrators

The shading looks like crap on that image, yet in proper light, it looks real neat. Now painted the black parts on the main panel part too, so tomorrow I'll add the instrument faces :)

• Administrators

Hi Jamme,

Yes, mine was flat, although the Bf 109 panel has a couple of what look like splits in it, but they're moulding marks, and very fine. I only realised when I put paint over, but I wasn't too bothered.

Be careful about sanding too much material from the face, as those lenses only just fit in between the panel and bezels....literally.

• Like 1

Those IP (Bf 109 en Me 110) are beautiful.

and not too expensive by the way!

Cheers,

Jamme

Definitely NOT expensive at certain favourite on-line model stores .....   ;)   ;)