Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1:32 Tamiya Spirfire Mk.XVIe No. 601 (County of London) Squadron RAuxF, 1949

rieser

• 4 weeks later...

One of those "WTF!" moments...

16A_zpsgkhjm77q.jpg

The top engine cowl just didn't want to play - no explanation why it would be 1.5mm too short.  Operator error of some sort.

15A_zpsd3iv9za8.jpg

The repair won't stand up under silver paint - not sure where this one will go from here.

No idea Repeater, as the other three panels all fit lengthwise.  Rechecked teh instructions to make sure I used the correct upper part - apparently so.  Will see how the side panel fit goes - may have to find a different scheme.

Perhaps the engine bearers are not completely pushed home? I had the same problem on my IX. Pushing it a bit further solved the problem. Without breaking it of course. Fitting tolerances are very tight on Tamiya kits.

Cees

• Like 2

High Ralph, don't you hate those WTF moments ! Shouldn't be to hard to blend in though.( assuming you've glued the shim to the forward  cowl part ) If you make the gap/ natural panel line at the back of the shim you can blend the forward part of the shim with the rest of the cowl using a small piece of fine grade sand paper wrapped around a pointed tooth pick. Work slowly and gently around the raised fasteners or protect them with small piece of Tamiya tape.

Keep on with a metal scheme it's going to look fantastic once finished,

Cheers,

Peter.

Hello rieser,

Cockpit is very cool. Shades are spot-on. Inspiring. Will follow.

Ordered my spit XVI a couple of days ago. Your fault... :)

In case it could be a bonus to you (or we, eager to start building the Mk XVI) : 

http://www.museeairespace.fr/votre-visite/collections/1939-1945/supermarine-spitfire-lf-mk-xvi/cockpit-360/

Cheers,

Laurent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Model painted with Floquil Old Silver after the ill-fitting upper engine cowl was removed and replaced with the spare Mk.VIII/IX part in the kit.  A small blister on the VIII/IX part was removed as it did not appear on the XVI part.  

15S_zpsdst5mynm.jpg

16S_zpseijt6gzi.jpg

17S_zpsdyl6ydhd.jpg

For no clear reason, the fit of the replacement part was much better.

18S_zps1pridd4b.jpg

19S_zpsuha3vjkv.jpg

20S_zpsyb24ocxy.jpg

21S_zpsreaxxpzm.jpg

22S_zpsei9ckpxp.jpg

23S_zps9yarec8f.jpg

24S_zps2qykm6yt.jpg

23S_zps9yarec8f.jpg

26S_zpsbcgsyclv.jpg

The Old Silver looks a little too "NMF" to me at this stage.  No idea yet how to convey a painted RAF High Speed Silver look.  Perhaps adding some grey to the silver, or using Humbrol silver (H11) might have been closer to the mark.  Although not a HSS scheme, David Parker achieved a very interesting result on his Tamiya P-51D a while back - but I can't recall seeing a description of what he did.

Thanks for looking.  Cheers, Ralph.

• Like 4

Super neat.  Very sharp.  Gotta be happy with that. 

About the HSS.. I'm not sure.. maybe as simple as Tamiya X-19 smoke over the top !? Or even Mr Color silver (8) ?? I've seen that on a similar build, with good result. 

Tim. 

• Like 1

Ralph, I forgot to mention in our email conversations that you might need to de-tack the masking material over a silver finish. It shouldn't be a problem straight on to the silver, but paint can lift if it is painted over a silver/NMF. It might be worth doing a test piece, which as been treated the same as the model?

This looks very nice, a nice smooth silver finish (high speed silver); a dark grey or medium grey wash might just be all that it needs? Not in the same league as your model of course but this is the Airfix Spitfire Mk 22 finished with Humbrol silver (11) and with a medium-dark grey wash, which dirtied up the airframe just about right. Honestly the photo doesn't do it justice! ;)

1325Spitfire002.jpg

I am also embarrassed that I used decals on this! ATBMPM :D

• Like 3

Many thanks for the feedback Gents.  Will let the silver cure for a few days, then clear it with Tamiya's X-22 acrylic gloss in preparation for marking painting using Mal's masks. The Kagero artwork shows the aircraft codes in red.  Freightdog Models shows them in black on their 72nd scale decal sheet.  No clue which one may be more correct.  Cheers, Ralph.

Very nice Ralph,

I never quite liked the Merlin engined low back spits but in all over Silver it looks very sleek.

For high speed Silver I use aluminium with a clear coat, after a wash it looks very effective.

Cheers

Cees

• Like 1