Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

SWS 1/32 Horten Ho229

I dated Frank Whittle's granddaughter back in the early 70s. Imagine my amazement when, on our first date, I mentioned to her that a man named Whittle had invented the jet engine, and she replied, "he was my grandpa, Frank". Imagine my even greater amazement when she turned out to be a jet engine of another kind.

I'm not making this up....but it does make me wish I could time travel.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

• Like 3

I can't resist...

Imagine my even greater amazement when she turned out to be a jet engine of another kind.

Does that mean she was like the the 1970's Revell Phantom... you could look though the intake and see right out the exhaust?

S

• Like 1

Well here it goes.  I will build my Horten as an open and exposed wing.   I have read Ho229 Consept Notes and the Instruction Manual by Zoukei-mura, both are a visual and informative delight.  I started with the engine display stand, just to brake the ice.  Next the engines, one will be open and exposed and the other detailing all of its exterior sub assemblies.  Among the "Super Wing Options" Combustion Chamber parts was one that was warped.   I was able to replace the damaged section of the part with a kit section.  That saved me alot of trouble.  A benefit of only having one engine open is that I can practise painting its interior parts.  If I realy make a mess of it I have another.  I beleave that is true about life, at least mine.  

2016-01-15%2006.51.43_zpse5fqhwqm.jpg

• Like 1

As this is my first 1/32 model, I have nothing of this size to compare it to.  I can only say that Zoukei-Mura Inc. has produced one fantastic kit.  For this Ho229 to be built the parts must come together perfectly and they do.  I desire only the skill to do it justice.

2016-01-19%2000.50.18_zpsmr15aa4c.jpg

2016-01-19%2000.50.18_zpsmr15aa4c.jpg

• Like 1

As you can see I opened one of the Komo engines.  It should fit in with the exposed infrastructure of the rest of the wing.  When I build a model I try to think of the setting in which it will be displayed.  Right now I see it in a repair facility.

2016-01-19%2000.50.39_zpswo9todkb.jpg

• Like 2

The plan is to have it exposed and displayed in a display case dipicting a simple work enviornment, a floar with a couple of mechanics.  This model will be about 24" from wing tip, to wing tip so it will take up space on a table or shelf.  My last model was a 1/8 scale Sopwith Camel.  Even with the wings clipped it took up all of the allowable display area in the living room.  So when the Horten is finished the camel must go. I painted the frame with something resembling the color of olives, not good, so I ordered some new paint of a lighter color.  Meanwhile there is pleanty to do.

2016-01-21%2020.40.44_zpsk9rforqa.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After expermimenting with the instriment panel and ejection seat I decided to go with the photoetch parts.  The belts didn't come out perfect but it was a lot better than my attempt at painting.  The +400 reading glasses from the dollar store were a great help and made the effects of caffene obvious. Maby it is time to go back to tea.  I am haveing a great time with this 1/32 "large scale" modeling and with the space that I am saving I'll be good for years.  

2016-01-29%2002.05.28_zpsoskoyrwg.jpg

2016-01-31%2006.02.48_zpsqgbl2k4g.jpg

2016-01-29%2002.05.28_zpsoskoyrwg.jpg

• Like 1

Good idea Jerone, I have some never used Micro-Glaze that just might do the trick. I was going to install the gage pannel tomorrow but instead, I will take some pictures of the frame while the glaze dries.  The construction of this wing is a thing to behold, both the Horten Bros. original design and the out of the box SWS model is amazing.   I built a 1932 Ford, retro-conversion, Roadster in 1/8 scale.  The brakes, clutch and engine were all controled with levers and rods, even the Houdaile shock absorber utilized a big lever to connect the axel and frame.  So I wonder, if in 1944 the Horten Bros. used off the shelf technology instead of hydraulics which would have required machining and engineering design.

P1030228_zps3wxft5yz.jpg

P1030193_zpsjvvgruvz.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It took some fancy tweezer work but the center section is assembled.  I am not sure if it will be needed but I added some BBs for added weight to the Nose wheel.  I added some Micro-Glaze to the Instrument Panel gauges and it does make them stand out more. Thanks for the suggestion Jeroen. There are so many interconnections to the framing that nothing can be rushed.I will finish the panel install when my brain settles down.

2016-02-13%2000.24.06_zpsjdaezbgt.jpg

2016-02-13%2000.31.46_zpszz0soxwk.jpg

2016-02-13%2000.33.54_zpspaki562t.jpg

2016-02-13%2000.36.57_zpsgnlsktof.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I down't know what is going on but it is takeing the superglue forever to dry, no matter what brand I use, room temp OK, humidity OK.  I know that my mood and work has been slow of late. Maby the glue is a reflection of that reality.  I sent for some Zip Kicker and expect this to make a change in the process.

2016-02-28%2001.58.14_zps95ydcwpc.jpg

2016-02-28%2001.59.29_zpsccgqwmen.jpg

• Like 1

I have been using superglue for many years and it never acted this way before.  The Zip Kicker works, maby too well.  It activates the glue with just fumes.  I am not so sure that I want to breath this stuff.  Another thing I noticed, with just a drop of SG at the tip of the piano wire applicator.  The glue will jump from the tip to the plastic, like a positive to negitive charge, room temp 68deg, humidity 50% and spooky at 100%.

2016-02-28%2023.24.32_zpsdbziii8j.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Horton is finished.  My first venture into 1/32 scale and I like it.  The spooky superglue problem has returned  to normal so it is on to the next project.  This was a great build with incredible detail and I enjoyed every minute of it.  I have chosen the HPH Ohka Model-11 for my next project. There are less parts so there is no reason to skimp on detail or subject matter.  See you later.  

2016-02-13%2000.34.45_zpsn11nectx.jpg

2016-02-13%2000.36.57_zpsg9tfjfrv.jpg2016-03-15%2000.38.36_zpst8ixpuep.jpg2016-03-15%2000.35.04_zpsdfsomqkb.jpg

2016-03-15%2000.36.58_zpssbmfszag.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...