The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Airfix 1/24 'Car Door' Hawker Typhoon test shot...

Something wicked, this way comes...

Box%20art_zps5ijonwjr.jpg

A sneak peak at this stage.

I had hoped, after nailing the bubble top test shot together in 2014, to have a crack at the car door, which was so plainly evidenced though the parts breakdown, when finally released.

Happily in the wake of that, the boss (Chris Clifford) decided to entrust Airfix's latest big Tiffie test shot to my tender mercies and the car door project was executed over another somewhat frenetic ten week build schedule.

Finished the Saturday before last, I confess I was very, very happy to have had the chance to navigate this mighty kit a second time. Here's an informal shot on the bench via the iPhone. I'll post 'official' tasters later in the week.

I've always felt that one of the coolest things you can do with a car door Tiffie is wind down one of the windows some 2/3rds, so the starboard door was so treated and winder handles added to the doors (Airfix don't provide them). Mk.1 Productions brass flaps and exposed cannon and recoil springs, the full Airscale cockpit decals suite, Eduard brass throughout the office, HGW belts, Xtradecal markings, Radu Brinzan brass rad mesh and Barracuda resin carb intake rounded out the project. 

IMG_1972_zpsmf6jllux.jpg

As before, I had the benefit of direct dialogue with Chris Thomas (who Airfix name as one of the key contributors on the car door release) in settling certain details relating to the markings choice.

I felt the North African scheme would contrast well with the European camo on the bubble top (on display in the Airfix Visitor Centre) and I'm doubly happy that Airfix have confirmed DN323 will also go on show with my earlier Typhoon - a great privilege.

The build will be included in the late summer special issue of Airfix Model World (132 pages!), due out next Thursday August 4.

Happy days :-)

Steve

• Like 7

Fantastic build, even judging by only just one pic :)

That cardoor has that look of not being sure what to be, a prewar aircraft or a fully grown WWII classic.

But it has lots and lots of character.

Thanks for sharing.
Cees

Something wicked, this way comes...

Box%20art_zps5ijonwjr.jpg

A sneak peak at this stage.

I had hoped, after nailing the bubble top test shot together in 2014, to have a crack at the car door, which was so plainly evidenced though the parts breakdown, when finally released.

Happily in the wake of that, the boss (Chris Clifford) decided to entrust Airfix's latest big Tiffie test shot to my tender mercies and the car door project was executed over another somewhat frenetic ten week build schedule.

Finished the Saturday before last, I confess I was very, very happy to have had the chance to navigate this mighty kit a second time. Here's an informal shot on the bench via the iPhone. I'll post 'official' tasters later in the week.

I've always felt that one of the coolest things you can do with a car door Tiffie is wind down one of the windows some 2/3rds, so the starboard door was so treated and winder handles added to the doors (Airfix don't provide them). Mk.1 Productions brass flaps and exposed cannon and recoil springs, the full Airscale cockpit decals suite, Eduard brass throughout the office, HGW belts, Xtradecal markings, Radu Brinzan brass rad mesh and Barracuda resin carb intake rounded out the project. 

IMG_1972_zpsmf6jllux.jpg

As before, I had the benefit of direct dialogue with Chris Thomas (who Airfix name as one of the key contributors on the car door release) in settling certain details relating to the markings choice.

I felt the North African scheme would contrast well with the European camo on the bubble top (on display in the Airfix Visitor Centre) and I'm doubly happy that Airfix have confirmed DN323 will also go on show with my earlier Typhoon - a great privilege.

The build will be included in the late summer special issue of Airfix Model World (132 pages!), due out next Thursday August 4.

Happy days :-)

Steve

There she is!!

That looks amazing.

Thank you for sharing this here!

Hi Jeroen - thanks for that. The car door's my favourite I have to say, quirky and quintessentially British and with a door flung wide you get to see the whole cockpit... 

Holy damn Steve!

Loving that scheme too. I have one on order from Airfix for review and build. That really has got me excited. 

Cheers Jim - I look forward to seeing your car door on the flight line; it'll be another cracker for sure. :-)

I'm doing both days of SMW this year - you going?

:unworthy: :unworthy: :unworthy:

Cheers Mike - but truly; I'm not worthy...

Fantastic build, even judging by only just one pic :)

That cardoor has that look of not being sure what to be, a prewar aircraft or a fully grown WWII classic.

But it has lots and lots of character.

Thanks for sharing.

Cees

Hi Cees - much appreciated.

That looks amazing, didnt even know they were in desert camo.

Cheers Bevan.

Hi Bevan. Thanks for the nod. Yes, three went to North Africa to trial sand filtration with 451 Squadron RAAF...but not the three originally selected! Chris Thomas emptied out his image archive for DN323 for me. I believe his accompanying article covers off all this.

TTFN

Steve 

• Like 1