The Great LSP Twins Group Build Starts Jan 24, 2024 - End July 3, 2024 ×

Fw 190F-8, Luftflotte 4, "Black 11" (1/32 Hasegawa)

• Members

Well the IPMS Nationals in Phoenix are getting dangerously close so I figured time to get off my arse and possibly complete something to take to the show. I'm going to do "Black 11" a Fw 190F-8 of an unknown unit of Luftflotte 4. I'll be using the Hasegawa 1/32 kit since I know it well and the fit is superb. I've got the cockpit and engine done, OOB with the exception of some HGW seatbelts and Airscale data placards. So far so good!

7e165783-b63c-4be6-812d-d4b04d761947.png

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Almost ready for the fun part! Had a little more trouble than usual blending in the inboard cannon covers, wish Hasegawa would have engineered this differently. Since the kit only comes with smooth tread wheels which weren't that common on the F-8's I went with the Eduard Brassin wheels which are really nicely detailed. Since the set comes with a separate tail wheel I decided to cut out the molded in wheel on the kit part which should look much better when finished. Just need to finish up the dashboard , glue the windscreen in and it will be ready for the first coat of primer and the HGW rivet set.

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

• Like 1

• Members
18 hours ago, JeroenPeters said:

Cool.. You use the black marker to check panel lines?

Jeroen, yes helps immensely.  The Mr. Surfacer 1500 will be the final quality control check but the Sharpie marker really helps bring any flaws out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The HGW rivet set has been applied.  I'm reserving final judgment on these until it's done.  First off they're time consuming.  Their ad reads "rivet a whole plane in 3 hours", well maybe if you're a meth-head but not me.  I probably have 7-8 hours in these from start to finish.  On the plus side they're fairly easy to apply and look good so far.  You really have to be meticulous about cleaning up the film though, I had several spots where small areas with film residue that I had to go back and clean up.  The white is Tamiya Fine Primer from a rattle can.  This stuff is dee shizzle!  I thought I'd have to hit it with some 8000 grit to make a smooth surface for the HGW rivets but this stuff goes down like glass.  The black is my standard Mr. Surfacer 1500 primer.

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

• Like 3

MIke

Very nice progress on the Hasegawa 190. Front office and the big radial do look mighty good and knowing you went the extra mile is all that counts.

The 190 looks mighty good in primer and and I'm glad I caught up to watch the color coats and markings going on. I've never tried the HGW rivets as there seemed to be a mixed reaction of plus and minus to how they worked.  I've switched over to MR Surfacer 1200, thinned out with Mr Color Leveling Thinner - awesome primer and shoots smooth as silk

Keep 'em comin

:popcorn:

Peter

• Members
12 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

MIke

Very nice progress on the Hasegawa 190. Front office and the big radial do look mighty good and knowing you went the extra mile is all that counts.

The 190 looks mighty good in primer and and I'm glad I caught up to watch the color coats and markings going on. I've never tried the HGW rivets as there seemed to be a mixed reaction of plus and minus to how they worked.  I've switched over to MR Surfacer 1200, thinned out with Mr Color Leveling Thinner - awesome primer and shoots smooth as silk

Keep 'em comin

:popcorn:

Peter

Thanks, Peter!  I'm a huge fan of Mr. Surfacer!

• Like 1

• Members

Paint is on!  My usual, Mr. Color, God's gift modelers! :lol: Gloss coat is Future.  All I had to work with was the starboard color profile included in the instructions, which I don't like.  Lot of guesswork but pretty happy with the result.

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

• Like 7

looking good Mike.

riveting decals?  you crazy guy.  I'm riveting my Fw190C and I have put in hours and still not done.  yep, me crazy too.   I'll be posting pics soon.

cannot wait to see your finished build.

• Like 3