The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Spares Spitfire XIV

So, after a long absence from posting any pics due to Photob...ugger I finally got motivated again to start a topic.

I have always been a huge fan of the Griffon powered Spitfires with that perennial favorite of mine, the Mk 21. Combining the power of the high back XIV with the twenties series wingplanform it has always appealed to me. Having attempted to kitbash the Matchbox 22/24 with the PCM Spit XIV some years ago, it was a failure as the wings could not be matched to the fuselage.

Howeve the idea of the big brutish Griffon Spit has haunted me ever since and the itch returned. Which means I have to scratch. Recently I posted a request for the PCM XIV which is hard to find. Luckily Martinnfb responded that he had some of the parts available but not a complete kit. Fine by me as the sparesbox would supply the missing bits from varous kits. Thanks very much Martin.

At very short notice the parts arrived and although at first the Mk 21 plans were rekindled, I thought a Mk XIV was a better option. A Duch 322 Squadron aircraft would do nicely.

First problem though is that the resin parts were missing so the wheelwells had to be sourced. These came from a discarded Revell Mk II. Some surgery soon found the new parts fitting the wings very well. The winghalves were quickly joined. A good start.

Cheers

Cees

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

Thanks Carl,

The best option would be to convert the PCM-kit. The work to convert the wings is relatively easy, apart from the rescribing and the different wheel wells.

But all wing detail would have to be sanded off and later adding al the bumps. The Matchbox/Revell 22/24 can be used for parts. I testfitted the 22/24 outer wings to the PCM wings and the fit was reasonable. Pity I did not keep those parts in the sparesbox. Oh well.

If this XIV is finished I might do the MK 21 anyway.

Cheers

Cees

• Like 1