The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Slight upgrade which only took about 90 minutes to complete.  Had to take the nose off however.  Overall, it took longer to take the nose off and put it back on than to replace the fog lights and do the horn install.

Replaced the stock fog lights with Diode Dynamics Elite fog lights.  Also added Hella Supertone Horns, but you can't hear those! 

The Diode Dynamics Elite lights are in place.  Used the two screws from the original fog lights and they sit perfectly.  Yes, a Jeff Gordon blanket...

image.jpeg.b9eaad759dc6dc5858e2f15df2a7d246.jpeg

Horns are basically invisible once the nose is back on.  However, hit the horn button and everyone knows they are there.  Not too bad for a six year old car!  Pretty clean!

image.thumb.jpeg.28390d66d26a6a542009b7f66fdf1445.jpeg

Who knew the windshield washer reservoir would be under the headlight?  Plus, its HUGE.

image.jpeg.c8af82203368a8f7c34b50ff7c359cb5.jpeg

Buttoned back up, and everything worked.  Yes, they are bright!!

image.jpeg.e897b7c0106fdb0747aeb744489c1133.jpeg

Low beams

image.thumb.jpeg.c56e2bae1a15a75c582d4d9f9b103420.jpeg

Fog lights

image.thumb.jpeg.ff5fffde6a6a31f892d5b5ddd2bfb7bb.jpeg

The hard line at the top of the fog lights is a blue line.  These lights have a wider beam than the stock fog lights and are as bright as the headlights.  I can actually see both ahead and aside very clearly.  Super easy to install using the stock wiring harness.

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I installed the Diode Dynamics yellow fogs on my 2015 Mustang GT.  What a difference!  Much brighter and the yellow light really cuts through the rain and fog and also makes deer more visible on the side of the road. I almost bought the “Too bright for highway use” but glad I didn’t. Mine are fine as is.  Would have been blinding oncoming drivers. 

EDIT:  My absent minded wife smacked a steel pole in a gas station parking lot last month.  I’m going to order a prepainted bumper and install it myself.  I’ll probably get her a set of the yellow diode dynamics for her Pilot if they make them.  Since I have to swap the bumper, might as well do that too.  

• Like 4

Scott,

We get some fog here, but not a lot.  I do a fair amount of night and country driving so I prefer driving lights with a bit more range.  The big bonus was the expansion of light to both sides.  Definitely a huge bonus to really see the side of the road up ahead.

So far nobody had flashed me and looking at where the beams hit cars in front of me, they don't seem to come up high enough to get into glass.  

How long have you had yours?  They do seem to be pretty well built.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Scott,

We get some fog here, but not a lot.  I do a fair amount of night and country driving so I prefer driving lights with a bit more range.  The big bonus was the expansion of light to both sides.  Definitely a huge bonus to really see the side of the road up ahead.

So far nobody had flashed me and looking at where the beams hit cars in front of me, they don't seem to come up high enough to get into glass.  

How long have you had yours?  They do seem to be pretty well built.

I think it was late fall of 2021 I installed them. Living on the lake we get some strange weather patterns.  We’ll get fog so thick some mornings you can’t even see the end of our driveway that’s about 200’ long.  Once winter set in the fog went away.  I retired in the spring of last year so I didn’t get a whole lot of actual “fog” use out of them.   But man, what a difference they made. If it was really bad I’d just turn my headlights off and run the fogs only.  
Agree on the expansion of width. Unreal.  We have so many deer in this area just grazing in neighbors yards, you can spot them much sooner and be prepared for them to run out in front of you. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Well ... when the GF finally arrives in Perth she'll be happy!

The Her new car finally arrived at the dealership at the end of last month ... I had to wait until finance settled on the home loans before getting finance across the line for the new car. I must admit - it's pretty plush ... not as laid back as the ute but certainly not wanting for bells and whistles!

IMG_9118.thumb.jpeg.098fb8a7c99af52cc9c4cff4c74cdb14.jpeg

IMG_9120.thumb.jpeg.9a9097af5741c5180d2943e6be660ce3.jpeg

IMG_9111.thumb.jpeg.0001858978cc4e51de51b8573c0d118c.jpeg

IMG_9109.thumb.jpeg.c0fd6c45437fd02f691128066b25b60b.jpeg

IMG_9110.thumb.jpeg.e403335bfc053c4791b09ef64592f486.jpeg

Rog :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Despite being made in the UK the 1st Gen wasn't wildly liked , unlike the Squashy which sold over a million and is still going strong . Bit too rad with the styling , not an exciting drive and the name/image didn't help according to pundits.

They're sold quite cheap here as there is a lot of other competition in that price arena , but I'm not sure we got any high HP versions 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Rog, that's the new Juke? They don't sell them in Canada any more. We only got the first generation of them and even then, we didn't get the Juke-R.  

Yes ... This the new one designed and built in the UK and it's the top of the range model here in Aus (Ti) - with alcantara and leather everywhere ... this new generation is MUCH better than the last one ... much more interior room especially in the back, better spec etc ... though it's still the baby SUV ... but considering I have to wait 18 months for the Toyota HR-V and it's $5-10K more expensive to boot?? ... Jane will be MORE than happy with this thing ... she says its cute :) ... Only annoyance for me is I can't get a manual - only available in the UK ... Nismo could do some serious stuff with this car - a slightly larger and more powerful engine, AWD and manual ... and you'd have a performance SUV winner! As it is its got some gumption.

3 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Wow! A Nissan Joke, er, Juke.  Already dead here in the states too.  I guess it was just too small for some and too big for others. Replaced with a smaller SUV, the Kick. 

We don't have the Kick here in Aus. Previous model might have been a joke ... this is anything but!

• Like 3

The first gen Juke had a couple hotter versions. North America got the the Nismo version which was around 220 HP.  Manual was FWD only or if you picked the CVT, you could get AWD.  I'm not sure if this was available in Europe or not. 

The second was a limited production variant built in the UK called the Juke-R. It had the entire drivetrain from the R35 GTR dropped into it. So AWD,  manumatic, and 600+ HP.  And a paint job that Darth Vader would have loved. 

• Like 1

Rog, if the Juke has the infamous Nissan CVT, make sure you go above and beyond fluid changes.  Here in the states, Nissan has a terrible reputation for their CVT.  My daughter had an Altima during college.  At 104,000 miles the trans started acting up and throwing the car in service mode and her speed would drop to 25-40 MPH on the interstate.  

Took it to a dealership and service manager told us it needed a new transmission at a cost of $5000.  Nope!  He said if you had done the the trans fluid change every 20,000 miles it would still be working.  OK, every 20,000 miles is a bit excessive and tells me they have a bad design. 
These days you almost cannot sell a used Nissan with the CVT to an informed buyer.  And sadly it’s making people shy away from Honda and others that seem to have gotten it right. 

• Like 3

Must admit I had a Nissan Terrano for a few years , it was as tough as old boots , the 2.7 Turbo Diesel engine was a firm favourite in Black cabs for a while . It was ok for gentle off-roading as well with a separate lower box, and took us to the Ardennes and back in 40 degree summer , not back for an 18 year old truck .

IMG-7973.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Rog, if the Juke has the infamous Nissan CVT, make sure you go above and beyond fluid changes.  Here in the states, Nissan has a terrible reputation for their CVT.  My daughter had an Altima during college.  At 104,000 miles the trans started acting up and throwing the car in service mode and her speed would drop to 25-40 MPH on the interstate.  

Took it to a dealership and service manager told us it needed a new transmission at a cost of $5000.  Nope!  He said if you had done the the trans fluid change every 20,000 miles it would still be working.  OK, every 20,000 miles is a bit excessive and tells me they have a bad design. 
These days you almost cannot sell a used Nissan with the CVT to an informed buyer.  And sadly it’s making people shy away from Honda and others that seem to have gotten it right. 

So true. My sis  and her husband went and looked at the new Pathfinder last year. The first thing the sales guy said to her when she told him they were interested in it was that the transmission was no longer a CVT. They had replaced it with a traditional transmission. 

Mercedes used a CVT on their first gen B200 subcompact hatchbacks here in Canada. Same thing, they were fragile and when they broke, the car became scrap as they were too expensive to fix. 

• Like 3

On 4/12/2023 at 7:39 PM, ScottsGT said:

Thanks for the heads up ... I will ask the Nissan service team about cost when I take it in for the one month check up (I'm not going anywhere near 1000km's inside a month ... even if I'm on leave at present) ... I'll try to dig up the transmission specs before I go also - see my last comment below!

On 4/12/2023 at 8:27 PM, PanzerWomble said:

Must admit I had a Nissan Terrano for a few years , it was as tough as old boots , the 2.7 Turbo Diesel engine was a firm favourite in Black cabs for a while . It was ok for gentle off-roading as well with a separate lower box, and took us to the Ardennes and back in 40 degree summer , not back for an 18 year old truck .

IMG-7973.jpg

Is that a Nissan King Tiger with the high performance 88mm cannon and premium camouflage paint option??

On 4/13/2023 at 6:50 AM, BlrwestSiR said:

So true. My sis  and her husband went and looked at the new Pathfinder last year. The first thing the sales guy said to her when she told him they were interested in it was that the transmission was no longer a CVT. They had replaced it with a traditional transmission. 

Mercedes used a CVT on their first gen B200 subcompact hatchbacks here in Canada. Same thing, they were fragile and when they broke, the car became scrap as they were too expensive to fix. 

Ahhh ... then this might be so ... it does have 7 "gears" and steering wheel paddles (I mean seriously?? - It isn't a freaking Maserati!!) - I'll check up on the spec ... It does have a chronic lack between releasing the brake pedal - accelerator - and initial movement! ... though once it's going it's reasonably responsive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 gears and paddle shifter is not a CVT.  Sounds like a regular automatic trans.  
Ahh, the old gas pedal lag…. My wife’s Honda has it really bad and it’s almost gotten me in trouble a few time in heavy traffic.  
I really hate her 2021 Honda Pilot. Pedal lag, lane warning alarms constantly going off, cruise control slamming on the brakes at 80 mph if a car changes lanes in front of me.  If all new cars are mandated to have these “safety features “ I’ll be spending lots of money on old cars. 
Can’t wait to see the public’s reactions when the mandated breathalyzer you have to blow to start the car hit the market in a few years.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My mom's two Honda have the lazy gas pedal too. One is a 2018 Civic hatch and the other is a 2021 CR-V. The CR-V also has all the driving nannies on it too. You can turn most off but then I'd have to turn them all back on for my mom as she doesn't mind them. She's got a lead foot too. 

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

7 gears and paddle shifter is not a CVT.  Sounds like a regular automatic trans.  
Ahh, the old gas pedal lag…. My wife’s Honda has it really bad and it’s almost gotten me in trouble a few time in heavy traffic.  
I really hate her 2021 Honda Pilot. Pedal lag, lane warning alarms constantly going off, cruise control slamming on the brakes at 80 mph if a car changes lanes in front of me.  If all new cars are mandated to have these “safety features “ I’ll be spending lots of money on old cars. 
Can’t wait to see the public’s reactions when the mandated breathalyzer you have to blow to start the car hit the market in a few years.  

I seriously think these added "safety" features are going to end up causing traffic accidents!! ... The real annoyance for me is the auto headlights. My unit is located in a set of 6 ... 3 on either side of a small access driveway ... I usually turn of the headlights when I enter the driveway and let the day time LEDs provide the little illumination I need because the neighbours lounge room is 5m away from the front of my car as I'm reversing into my garage. The auto engine off as soon as the car stops is also particularly aggravating ...

Rest assured this is the GF's car ... Once the house is built I'll be buying something more aligned with my motoring values ... and as analogue as I can get!!

• Like 1

What I am finding amazing is the dealership's approach, fancy bow and welcoming message. Such a kind gesture. In Canada, you transfer the funds, get the keys and you're on your own. No class whatsoever. Good for you Rog, that's a pretty sweet ride. Congrats.👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

What I am finding amazing is the dealership's approach, fancy bow and welcoming message. Such a kind gesture. In Canada, you transfer the funds, get the keys and you're on your own. No class whatsoever. Good for you Rog, that's a pretty sweet ride. Congrats.👍

Some dealerships have customer service figured out but sadly most don't. There's a reason folks refer to them as stealerships. 

The closet I've come to that is when I got a call that the delivery truck was downstairs with the car I'd bought and if I could come down to meet them. Like getting a pizza delivered. 

• Like 1