The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

HVAR Rockets

Clunkmeister

Hi Ernie, great question. I got these from Aires for my Tamiya Mossie, but am not sure if I use them. Three different heads are included in the set.
Like you I will convert my B-25 to PBJ and so I'm interested in opinions about the rockets and the starting racks as well.

P1140529.thumb.JPG.7ece58216cdb2c3580720027213bd55f.JPG

P1140532.thumb.JPG.a5c136d5cfaabbe9f01de337f421d7e0.JPG

I'm sure you know about the Profi Modeller conversion set for the PBJ. It contains parts necessary for converting the cockpit area, the radar pod and some decals., but no rockets are included. The decals don't look too promising, so for me it will be masks.

P1140531.thumb.JPG.b558e6882cb0130b581cb13e192e1e62.JPG 

Sorry for the bad -on the fly- photo quality. If you start your PBJ, I will be following for sure.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Ok, dug a bit more into this after looking at the pics I posted above. The Profimodeller rockets won't work as they're 3" rockets and the B-25 used 5" ones under the wings. 

Here's the Tamiya 5" rockets compared to the Profimodeller one:

IMG_20181027_195543-L.jpg

MK1 Design makes a 5" rocket but they don't come with  pylons.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MA-32002

Carl

• Like 2

• Administrators
16 hours ago, DocRob said:

Hi Ernie, great question. I got these from Aires for my Tamiya Mossie, but am not sure if I use them. Three different heads are included in the set.
Like you I will convert my B-25 to PBJ and so I'm interested in opinions about the rockets and the starting racks as well.

P1140529.thumb.JPG.7ece58216cdb2c3580720027213bd55f.JPG

P1140532.thumb.JPG.a5c136d5cfaabbe9f01de337f421d7e0.JPG

I'm sure you know about the Profi Modeller conversion set for the PBJ. It contains parts necessary for converting the cockpit area, the radar pod and some decals., but no rockets are included. The decals don't look too promising, so for me it will be masks.

P1140531.thumb.JPG.b558e6882cb0130b581cb13e192e1e62.JPG 

Sorry for the bad -on the fly- photo quality. If you start your PBJ, I will be following for sure.

Cheers Rob

Yup. I have the set.

They totally missed on 8 Ball, numbering it 11 and all. Duhhhhhhhhh....

they did a good job on the cockpit, but I’m a bit mystified by the “Hose to Nowhere” that they give you.  I assume it’s for a forced air vent for the main gun.

There is absolutely ZERO information out there on the jump seat for the Marine Birds. Mine’s done with single controls and a steel bucket jumpseat up on the bulkhead for the loader. I guess I have a 50% chance of being correct. 

No top turret, no waist glass but as yet undecided on the package guns. I will make and install the unit manufactured air deflectors for the waist gunners.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Here's the Tamiya 5" rockets compared to the Profimodeller one:

Thanx Carl for showing us the right direction with the HVAR's. My Mossie gets a bigger chance of being rocket equipped now ;). I'm about to buy a 1D, but for other reasons then to salvage the missiles :D, so I think I will purchase a dedicated B-25 set from PM.

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

There is absolutely ZERO information out there on the jump seat for the Marine Birds. Mine’s done with single controls and a steel bucket jumpseat up on the bulkhead for the loader. I guess I have a 50% chance of being correct.

Ernie, there is only the small picture in the upper left corner of the PM-manual showing the one column arrangement in the PBJ, but nothing about the seats. I'm not deep enough into the PBJ project to decide about the seat problem.

Cheers Rob

• Administrators

Yep,

All I know is that NA built the H with no right seat and only one set of controls.  I’ve read that many AAF Birds were retrofitted in the field, but not much is known about the South Pacific Marine ships.

They pulled out the top turrets and ditched the package guns to save weight, so adding a bunch back in a second control column and seat seems counter productive

7 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

So I need to buy the -1D kit to get the rockets?  And the launchers and mounts are there too?

Yesz they're only in the -1D kit.Maybe try ordering just the sprue from Tamiya America? The launchers are moulded onto the rockets along with the fins so you would need two copies of the sprue in the pic. I'll try to get you the part number when I'm back home.

Carl

10 hours ago, DocRob said:

Thanx Carl for showing us the right direction with the HVAR's. My Mossie gets a bigger chance of being rocket equipped now ;). I'm about to buy a 1D, but for other reasons then to salvage the missiles :D, so I think I will purchase a dedicated B-25 set from PM.

Cheers Rob

Rob, 

Either the Aires or Profimodeller rockets will work on a Mossie. The problem there is a question of launch rails. If you're doing a Mossie with 4 rails per wing, the Aires MkI launch rails are usable. Later on, they switched to the MkIII rail which was lighter. If you're looking to do a Coastal Command Mossie with the duplex setup, then it gets a bit more complicated as no one makes a complete setup in 1/32. MDC make the pylons only in resin but no hangers. Aviaeology is/was supposed to come out with a MkIII hanger set which also includes the guard rails for the drop tanks but it's been stuck in development purgatory for a couple years now. The set is supposed to also includes the pylons but they'll be PE so would require fleshing out to get the appropriate shape.

Which is how I ended up starting work on a TseTse Mossie conversion as it doesn't carry rockets. 

Carl

• Like 2