Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

I went to Tankride

GazzaS

Hi everyone,

Today my club had our monthly meeting at Tankride in beautiful Tamborine Queensland.  They have quite a few runners including Centurion Tanks, armored cars, and APCs as well as some great display stuff like a BMW with a sidecar.  But I only took a few pictures.  I got somebody to take one of me so that you all won't think I look like Dr. Strangelove:

QvkbiX.jpg

I1GgBA.jpg

aJbAeD.jpg

5n9rOl.jpg

C7GIIm.jpg

bYw2et.jpg

This tank was damaged in combat in Vietnam and deemed not repairable.  So, they took of the remains of the upper bits and turned it into a training vehicle.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Jackster said:

Having read Ken Tout's memoirs of a Sherman crew in WW2 after D-Day, I would love to clamber around inside one, get an actual feel for the confines.

Cheers

Kev

Kev,

If you're over 5'8" you'd find it hard going.  At 6'3" there was no place I could stand up, and the driver's compartment was totally too small for me.

Gaz

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

So cool, wish we had stuff like that around here......

Jeff,

I didn't know that it was near me until 5 weeks ago.  It was only 25 minutes drive.  When I lived in the US, the only military gear I got to climb on was the Sherman tank outside the Grayling Michigan VFW Hall.

JxJ0AL.png

Gaz

• Like 4

Gaz, I bet you were gobsmacked to find it so close to you............... what a find ! I'm afraid if we had anything lie that close to us, I'd be hanging around there like a bad smell........... ................how much fun can a guy have eh?? That would be a blast..................... no pun intended....

• Like 3