The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

wow......... gas $$$

Jeff

11 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Before-and-after-having-wife-and-kids.jp

Is the 'station wagon' electric......................... hhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm  no ROAR..................:rofl:and again it bags the question............ what would an electric car sound like doing a burn out?  IF the engine doesn't roar....................... how are the cops going to know there is a burnout happening??:wacko::D

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

The one and only burnout I have ever done was on my wedding day. I know so redneck, but why not? My wife wanted limo, but limo doesn't come with a roll cage . Safety first ladies :)  

I've only done one good one too, back in the day with my '79 Z 28, lit them up pretty good, THEN I got smart...............can't afford the new rubber..... I'm rather proud I have NEVER spun the wheel on my Corvettes EVER, or on my old IROC Camaro Z 28 either.......B)

• Like 3

On 4/27/2019 at 9:30 AM, Jeff said:

You guys......................... I am SO GLAD, I'm NOT the only one who sees this...........it's really too bad I can't get up on my soap box and lament how I feel about today's politicians............ Vancouver BC has mandated 0 emission new cars to be the only ones for sale by 2030..............so with everyone NOT wanting to build dams here ( we have LOTS of water) we aren't allowed to use coal, although we have mountains of it, and we sure as Hell will NEVER have nukes........ they keep TELLING us to SAVE electricity ( I can't get that through my thick skull as it is just WATER going down a pen-stock turning a turbine........................ how do you 'save' that? anyway............) so as WUMM says , we don't have the infrastructure to make this work efficiently and God Help you if you live rurally like I do.................. what are we to do...............plug the car into a 'currant bush"????:wacko:

So I can safely say the good old days of a BIG BLOCK 427 /435 horse L-71 tri-power days are gone? :(

71DRKWsHDcL._SL1000_.jpg

67-black-blue-004.jpg

Here's my 2017 485hp/475ftlbs of torque hemi Challenger T/A 392. Chrysler also has the 740hp hellcat and 840hp demon. Big hp cars are still alive.

20170717_145409.jpg

• Like 4

All electric cars would be great, BUT the amount of coal, water power or nuclear power or what ever to make enough electricity to power them would pollute more then the gasoline cars they are trying to replace. Also how long would it take the government to put up enough charging stations across the US that would compare to gas stations that exist today. So your electric car would be sitting in your garage waiting for them to be built so you could take a trip from say Michigan to Florida to vist your parents. I'll stick with my gas guselling beast and let my grand kids worry about electric vehicles. :stirthepot::poo::D

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

All electric cars would be great, BUT the amount of coal, water power or nuclear power or what ever to make enough electricity to power them would pollute more then the gasoline cars they are trying to replace. Also how long would it take the government to put up enough charging stations across the US that would compare to gas stations that exist today. So your electric car would be sitting in your garage waiting for them to be built so you could take a trip from say Michigan to Florida to vist your parents. I'll stick with my gas guselling beast and let my grand kids worry about electric vehicles. :stirthepot::poo::D

ME TOO................... I figure, IF everyone gets hod winked into buying electric cars, gas prices are sure to come down for us 'Global Warmer' guys and our 'gas guzzling' ( I effing hate that term by the way ) cars, SUV's and Trucks will be in heaven.... and what few of us are left to burn the fossil fuel won't matter enough to worry about the warming of the planet.................. I think most of this is hog wash anyway, if one really does the research, this is a cyclic event, and we just happen to be on the cycle...... it has happened before a couple times........ was THAT because Thor used fire to cook his food??  What was the cause of the change a couple millennia ago, we sure as Hell didn't have the SUV's etc back then.........so I will stick to my 'gas guzzler' (:angry:, there is that term again !)

• Like 2

The problem should be address at the root of the biggest polluters. Which leads us down to poverty and overpopulation, but those are hot trigger words that nobody likes to talk about. Especially out politicians.

• Like 3

On 4/27/2019 at 9:45 PM, Martinnfb said:

Before-and-after-having-wife-and-kids.jp

I had a minivan once. Bought a new '97 Caravan back in the day. Didn't have kids or a wife at the time but did have a bunch of mountain bikes which were worth more than the van was (priorities and all) and friends who mountain biked. 

• Like 3

On 4/28/2019 at 11:55 AM, CrankyCrafstman said:

All electric cars would be great, BUT the amount of coal, water power or nuclear power or what ever to make enough electricity to power them would pollute more then the gasoline cars they are trying to replace. 

Thorium salt reactors are extremely clean, difficult to weaponize, and don't melt down.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Thorium salt reactors are extremely clean, difficult to weaponize, and don't melt down.

And how long would it take to actually have a working one that is proven and passes all the regulations? And it is still a nuclear reactor.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

And how long would it take to actually have a working one that is proven and passes all the regulations? And it is still a nuclear reactor.

These have been in operation in one form or another since the 1960's, but never to the degree traditional uranium reactors were because of the need to generate by-products for use in the production of nuclear weapons. Reactors were burdened with many regulations to begin due to the public fear/ignorance of nuclear power, and the few accidents over the years tightened regulations, added more, and reduced funding for new reactors, at least in the U.S. All of this contributed to slowing work on these projects and so they haven't attained the economy of scale uranium has. But, they are not as complex to build and thus cheaper and operable in a shorter time frame.

With the renewed emphasis on green tech and reducing fossil fuels, interest in thorium has risen again and several countries are looking into it, such as India and China. Both countries have rapidly growing energy demands and we can hardly afford for them to begin dumping even more crap in the atmosphere. Now, the crazy lady in NYC wants to ban nuclear along with fossil, but I am hard-pressed to see how she thinks the States can run on solar panels and windmills.

And I don't understand your emphasis on it still being a nuclear reactor; so is the sun. What is your concern exactly?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jeff said:

I like that.............  " I had a mini van ONCE".................................. I guess that was enough eh Carl?? :stirthepot:

:rolleyes: Maybe...but there's an outside chance there'll be another one in our future. My in-laws are in their 80s now and my father in law in particular is concerned about how much longer he'll be comfortable driving. So for family outings, it may become a need. My wife oddly would prefer one over an SUV if we do go that route. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

These have been in operation in one form or another since the 1960's, but never to the degree traditional uranium reactors were because of the need to generate by-products for use in the production of nuclear weapons. Reactors were burdened with many regulations to begin due to the public fear/ignorance of nuclear power, and the few accidents over the years tightened regulations, added more, and reduced funding for new reactors, at least in the U.S. All of this contributed to slowing work on these projects and so they haven't attained the economy of scale uranium has. But, they are not as complex to build and thus cheaper and operable in a shorter time frame.

With the renewed emphasis on green tech and reducing fossil fuels, interest in thorium has risen again and several countries are looking into it, such as India and China. Both countries have rapidly growing energy demands and we can hardly afford for them to begin dumping even more crap in the atmosphere. Now, the crazy lady in NYC wants to ban nuclear along with fossil, but I am hard-pressed to see how she thinks the States can run on solar panels and windmills.

And I don't understand your emphasis on it still being a nuclear reactor; so is the sun. What is your concern exactly?

Some very good and valuable points here. Nuclear power has become a major boogie man for the mainstream media. And thorium option was as a result heavily neglected. I guess the real issue would be the waste disposal.

59 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

:rolleyes: Maybe...but there's an outside chance there'll be another one in our future. My in-laws are in their 80s now and my father in law in particular is concerned about how much longer he'll be comfortable driving. So for family outings, it may become a need. My wife oddly would prefer one over an SUV if we do go that route. 

Minivans are absolutely fantastic. Probably the most practical vehicle i have ever owned. I love it to bits, more than my Mustangs. 

• Like 2