The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya's 1/32 P-51D Mustang

Started this one back in March, what an amazing piece of kit!  After building Tamiya's 1/32 A6M5 and Spitfire Mk.VIII, I knew this one would be very good too. 

Beginning with the cockpit, I followed the directions (mostly) and added a few details I thought would be noticeable.  Side panels are as provided in the kit, even added the Tamiya placard decals.  I purchased the Barracudacals set for the cockpit, but in the end I opted not to use it.  I do not like decalling much, and the thought of adding over a hundred to the cockpit alone gave me chills!  I took some white oil paint and tried to replicate the face detail on a few gauges around the cockpit, as well as some basic stenciling to spice it up a bit.  The floor was painted with Tamiya buff, then oil paints were used to replicate the woodgrain of the floor.  The black was sprayed over a layer of hairspray, and damaged with a brush and toothpick.

002.jpg

003.jpg

I used the hairspray technique to "beat up" the seat, and added some seatbelts with PE hardware from the HGW set.  I used their belts on the Spitfire and they worked flawlessly, but the ones in this set (US WWII generic belts) were not very good.  The thin "plastic" on the top of the "fabric" belts kept separating from the bottom layer, and frayed badly along the edges.  In the end, I used strips cut from the edges of a $1 bill as that paper has a fabric feel to it.  I painted the bottom belts, and in hindsight I wish I had left them alone as the paint did not turn out as I had wished.  My fault!  I also left the seat pack off as I did not care for it's shape, and figured this aircraft would not spend much time over water.  I figure the ground crew took it out at the pilot's request!

004.jpg

006.jpg

• Like 4

On the back of the armor plate, I found period photos showing a small canvas pouch instead of the hardware provided by Tamiya (the kit parts represent part of the IFF system I believe, not fitted to this aircraft).  I replicated this with a folded up piece of Tamiya tape.

005.jpg

I also flipped the radio around, as it is backwards in the kit.  I simply cut off the mounting lugs on the bottom, and flipped it 180 degrees.  I also cut off the blob of plastic Tamiya would have you paint white (it is an overflow bottle for the battery) and fashioned a small clear "bottle" out of kit sprue, with a punched disk lid.  I think it looks much better!  I also plumbed the radio and battery.

The rudder pedals also received the hairspray treatment.  After installing the decal for the IP gauges, they looked a bit translucent so I painted a layer of black paint on top of them to make the detail pop.

007.jpg

Now that the cockpit is nearly done, I can move on to the next hurdle- the gear bay.  I found over 30 ejector pin marks on the main body and rear spar alone!  I opted to sand and fill them, and this took many nights of tedious filling and sanding to eliminate.  If only Tamiya had molded these parts 180 degrees on the sprue, the pin marks would be on the inside of the parts (and not visible).  Why did they do it this way?  The marks would be easier to fill too if they were raised instead of recessed, and located away from the delicate rivet detail.

001-1.jpg

More to come!

• Like 3

I finished up the radiator assembly today, and installed it into the fuselage.  Now, with that ready, I was able to close up the two halves.  With minimal fuss, everything lined up perfectly (pretty much expected from this kit).

002-1.jpg

In the radiator exhaust area, there were a couple of ejector pin marks which needed to be filled and sanded as these would be visible on the finished model.

003-1.jpg

Some of the sub assemblies in the radiator area use sandwiches of plastic parts, PE inserts, and small linkages with metal pins.  They look a bit complicated in the manual, but if you take your time they go together with minimal fuss.  I annealed the PE parts before attempting to bend them to fit the slightly curved plastic bits, and this helped them to conform.  I also gave them a good sanding to roughen up the surface to better accept the Alclad paint.  In the end, they look like one piece.

005-1.jpg

I also masked and painted the armored glass in front of the gunsight.  This was a bit tedious, and I wish Tamiya had provided a mask for it on their printed masking sheet.  The framework is very delicate, and masking entailed thin strips of Tamiya tape and punched out disks of tape for the radius ed corners.  I also tried something different with the gunsight, instead of simply painting it it's final metallic black finish, I first cleaned it up and then masked off the lens.  I then gave it a coat of Alclad aluminum, and then the black.  This was followed up with a drybrushing of silver and raw umber, and then the lens mask was removed.  Done this way, if you look down through the lens it looks like a metallic box with reflective properties inside.  I think it turned out well, though the effect is difficult to capture with the camera.

004-1.jpg

• Like 2

Moving on to the main gear bays, I dry fit all of the gear bay ribs into place.  Each of these ribs has multiple ejector pin marks on them, so all of these were sanded out.  MUCH better!

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

I plan to try something a bit different with this build.  I am going to model the aircraft with the clam shell doors closed.  I cut the provided main gear bay insert for displaying the aircraft in flight on it's stand into three pieces, saving the center piece as this will be glued into position instead of the separate part assemblies.  The wall dividing the gear bays will be fabricated from a piece of styrene sheet, as it will be mostly invisible.  I will save the kit provided one for future builds in case I need them as spare parts.  Next up is a bit of wiring, then painting the gear bays.  On this build, I am going them natural aluminum, with a yellow chromate rear spar.  Stay tuned for more updates!

008-2.jpg

• Like 1

Frank! Glad you have found us!

Your Mustang is looking fantastic!

Cheers Dave, thanks for the warm welcome!  Glad to see the forums up and running here.

Woo-hoo!  Frank's back!  Excellent work so far my friend.

Thanks Mike, good to see you again!  I really gotta get that big 109 out for the GB, perhaps next weekend when I get back from vacation.

• Like 1

Superb work! Keep those pics coming, that is just the right amount of inspiration. Great work!

Cheers Jeroen, much appreciated!

That is a fantastic looking cockpit daywalker

Thank you so much!  Just got back from vacation today, and really looking forward to getting back to work on this one.

• 1 month later...

Any updates for us Frank?

Cheers Dave, thanks for asking!

I have indeed been busy on this one, in fact- I have had so much fun building her thus far that I keep forgetting to stop and take progress pics.  Sorry for the tardiness, here is how she looks right now.  The majority of the build is complete, and I have begun the masking process.  The front canopy is attached and masked, and I just finished removing the seam on the main canopy.  Once that is attached, I can finish masking the gear bays and a few other small items then off to the paint shop.  I admit to being a bit scared, this is my first ever NMF paint job!  I have done smaller things like metal prop blades and detail parts, but never an entire airframe.  Keep your fingers crossed for me, I am going to need it!

005-5.jpg

004-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-4.jpg

• Like 1

OoooH! Thats looking Awesome Frank! Your making me want to pull out one of my Mustangs now!

What are you going to use for the BMF and scheme?

Thanks Dave, glad you like it!  I have been planning on using Alclad, but have read great things about Tamiya's AS-12 silver as well.  Hoping to play around with the Tamiya stuff this weekend, may end up using both of them here.  This one is going to finished as "SCAT VII" flown by Robin Olds.

Well, look what the cat drug in!  Excellent work as always, Frank!

Haha, thanks Mike!  I appreciate you stopping in to have a look!

Thanks Dave, glad you like it!  I have been planning on using Alclad, but have read great things about Tamiya's AS-12 silver as well.  Hoping to play around with the Tamiya stuff this weekend, may end up using both of them here.  This one is going to finished as "SCAT VII" flown by Robin Olds.

Tamiya AS-12 is good... I used to decant it into my airbrush and it sprayed beautifully... You can add a couple drops of white and black to tint it too. Just make sure you use the can stuff if you do! Nice scheme too!

• Like 1

Tamiya AS-12 is good... I used to decant it into my airbrush and it sprayed beautifully... You can add a couple drops of white and black to tint it too. Just make sure you use the can stuff if you do! Nice scheme too!

Thanks for the tips Dave!  When tinting the paint, do you use acrylics or enamels?  Perhaps lacquers?  Curious as to which would work best for this stuff.

great progress on this and apologizes for dropping in so late.  I am watching with great interest.  I can see my stash bucking!

Thanks for looking in Rick!  This really is an amazing kit, I was stunned by how tightly the cowl panels fit, even better than the Spitfire's.  I opted to leave most of the engine out, and seal up the cowl.  In retrospect, I think adding the engine parts and magnets for the removable panels would have worked well, and made the painting a bit easier.  Oh, well... the next one will get that treatment!

Thanks for the tips Dave!  When tinting the paint, do you use acrylics or enamels?  Perhaps lacquers?  Curious as to which would work best for this stuff.

You would need Lacquer. I have only tinted the mixture by using the Tamiya Rattle can stuff.

Thanks for the clarification Dave, good to know!  Finished the assemblies today, need to mask up the gear bays and such before painting begins.  Soon, very soon!  Looking forward to finishing this one up soon so I am ready to start the Tamiya Corsair when it lands here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...