Jump to content
“LET’S GET WET!” GROUP BUILD STARTS JAN 1, 2023 ×

My Ki-84 is now undergoing a restoration.


1to1scale
 Share

Recommended Posts

My previously finished model is now a work-in-progress again. 

This was my favorite model that I finished, I was most proud of the paint & weathering job on this one. But I was never 100% happy with it, and when I moved across country a year ago, one of the landing gear ended up snapped, in the process of repairing it, I managed to break the other gear leg and antenna wire. In addition, the Eduard panel in the cockpit just never matched the rest of the dirty cockpit, I never did the plug wires on the engine, and the gearbox detached itself from the cylinders inside the cowl. 

I decided that it was time to make this pretty good model into one I am absolutely proud of. Its going to undergo a restoration and improvement.

 

Today...

D4F69503-D4AB-40BB-944B-C8B3E82AA905.jpeg

 

One year ago

FDF24C4E-6468-4638-8E2D-4FEF3AA7D680.jpeg

ECAE3108-4E09-45BA-8E77-98E5722C45C5.jpeg

DE117A5C-04B3-4150-BF06-65D45469AD92.jpeg

FD1A29A0-9580-4EF5-9609-6F35DB99BE06.jpeg

13EEC827-4CCD-4BFF-B869-D28B04FA477F.jpeg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Step one, fix landing gear.

 

I drilled out the legs and the wing with a .4mm pilot hole, then opened it up with a 1.1mm bit. I had some plastruct steel core plastic rod, this was 1mm, but it runs a little oversized. You definitely want to use hardened cutters to cut this stuff!

 

F2CBF597-94E6-40ED-8EB1-E9234606E1D6.jpeg

A37FB034-BDBA-4570-B7FB-F2C91F2D38AD.jpeg

B4D3BA90-915F-409E-AE60-41149F0B6343.jpeg

47016801-CC0C-43F3-AB52-25B55DB131CD.jpeg

6D39DC27-07C8-4472-A347-B0F56D162CD3.jpeg

 

Pressed into place, not glued until it leaves for Chattanooga. I will also be adding brake lines too.

A71DB9DC-6C99-4933-9720-16795BDE100D.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got this sucker wired up, and added a few oil lines. Looking at this lad photos, these things were pretty simple for wiring on the front. I still have to paint the plug wires and oil lines.

E180484A-3EBC-4C8F-A347-8CDBFEBE1655.jpeg

76462126-6C7A-4CB4-BDE6-142EF9E31520.jpeg

 

Not a lot can be seen past the smallish opening.

EB5CB1E2-8140-493A-8330-49D69629A3EE.jpeg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Nice my one started as a green over sky but I didn't get the finish you did so it was stripped back and had a nmf I'll see if I can find some pics. Like you I also wired thd engine 

My green was actually a mistake, I meant to paint it a lighter more olive green, but picked up the wrong bottle of paint, then found that it actually was a better color match (I was making a very specific aircraft). The bottom color was Tamiya IJA light gray.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Mark, not to be picking nits, but if you have the front off, IS that a molding line on the box (governor or mags?) sitting on top of the gearbox?

NOTHING wrong with your peepers, Ernie ............. good catch, I sure didn't see that, I had to go back and look.......................... sigh............................

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Final version, I finished the engine wiring, closed up the cowl, fixed the broken pitot, re-attached broken antenna wire, added brake lines, repaired broken landing gear, and added some dirt to the Eduard IP. 

Not perfect, but for a 30 day quickie build, I’m happy! It’s going to Chattanooga...

 

 

5A8700D2-DA77-4733-89B6-078073EC5F39.jpeg

656A8F26-1108-40E2-A2B9-ACF0385D386A.jpeg

AD437C43-6817-4496-BBDF-882CF032CABB.jpeg

CAF21117-A8E8-475B-A9E1-54D2873FAB3A.jpeg

43814A99-A8DF-4B88-811E-5F11FAB7AEE8.jpeg

D291228C-AD73-45C0-86C9-07D7D08BBE30.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the compliment, but I’m really just hoping not to embarrass myself.

looking at the pictures, I could have done better with the brake lines, I planned to add pe brackets to hold the line to the gear, but could not find them, later after I finished, I found them. I also goofed and attached one of them to the backside of the gear, I later pried it off and reglued it to the front. I also could have used something to represent the fittings, but wasn’t sure what. Next time I’ll do better.

23750F4C-7EFE-40B0-A018-F435F844632A.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...