The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Spitfire Mk I B/W belly question. Wheel wells undercart colour?

I'm not an expert, but I believe that early schemes, Silver and silver/black/white schemes had silver wells, and later with green/brown camo had sky undersides and wells. I think later gray/green planes had interior green. I believe the gear was always silver. Maybe someone here is a bit more of a spitfire expert.

• Like 2

Found this in my archives from the late Edgar Brooks.

From what I've discovered, you're spoilt for choice. On several un rebuilt airframes, I've found green wells, from Mk.I to 22, which leads me to believe that that was how they started, however it's entirely possible (and likely) that, during repaints (whether due to overhaul or camouflage change,) with the aircraft standing on its u/c., the sprayer wouldn't have worried about the wells, since there was nothing there that could be harmed by paint, so the whole lot got a coat. It's unlikely, though, that the leg wells would have had the same treatment, since there were pipes, unions, etc., to be looked after, so those areas should have been masked off. There is an instructional film on servicing procedures on a Mk.I Spitfire, and it's possible to see that the legs, doors (and, presumably the wheel wells) are also black/white. One item that I've only just discovered (been told); the white aileron on black wing, and black on white, was a safety measure, since, in the dark (and blackout conditions prevailed, when doors opened) it was easy for someone to walk into a totally black wing, thereby risking injury.
When made, door insides were painted silver, but, as it was entirely likely that they were removed for a repaint, and hung up in the spray booth, both sides could be (and were) painted. U/c legs were also painted silver, but needed regular servicing, part of which involved a wash in paraffin, to remove any trace of oil, grease, hydraulic fluid, etc. The paintwork would, naturally, have suffered, and the erk would have used whatever colour he could lay his hands on. Wheel hubs might well have needed the same "touch-up" procedure, after being worked on.
Edgar

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I learned today that the boy for whom I am building this model has taken to watching YouTube Spitfire builds. His younger sister told me earlier today. Apparently he has become very excited about model aeroplanes. How cool is that!

When I give him this I will give him one of my kits with paints glue and some tools. I will give him my Hasegawa 1/32 Hellcat. Now that I have the 1/24 Airfix kit I won't need it.

:thumbsup2::D

TUpaDr.jpg

• Like 2