Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

109 wing bulges

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

I have a buddy in the middle of a Hasegawa 109 project and he needs to install the large wing bulges.

Should the wing be cut and these installed flush with the skin, and the join seams removed, or should they be applied over the existing wing? 

I’m no 109 expert, so I don’t have the foggiest idea....

• Like 3

It's an applique piece that sits over and above the wing surface, with a noticeable lip around the perimeter.

detail_bf109g10_15.jpg

(Photo from IPMS Stockholm site, used for limited research purposes.)

*Edit: Also note, the Hasegawa wing has a prominent depression that runs out to the wingtip along the line of the wing spar that is moulded on the reverse side of the wing parts. Many Modellers fill this depression; but you can leave it there if you choose. As this photo clearly shows, this depression is correctly reproduced by Hasegawa; you can see it in the oblique light as it runs out from the bulge and through the Balkenkreuz.

S

• Like 3

• Administrators

Thanks Wumm!   This is exactly what I needed and why y’all are awesome.  Even Smutty with his lame attempt a youmah.

I was about to tell him to cut it and blend it in, upon which, after him seeing your comment, would have caused him to probably skin me alive. 

• Like 3