The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Revell Bristol Beaufighter build

Looking good Ron, you might try Autodesk Fusion, as I believe the licence is free for “hobbyists” . I  use architectural parametric modelling software predominantly, which can be adapted just a scale in the end of the day........

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/8/2020 at 1:10 PM, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey all

Ok I think I have the rear floor figured out, I still have to cutout the observer/gunner's escape hatch. Right now I'm in the process of getting the side wall ribbbing figured out and put in. I have pictures of other builds that did this, plus pictures of the real planes inner side walls. So here are some pictures for you to look at.

20200408_142752.jpg

Ron G 

You misspelled "ribbbing". With what you're doing it should be ribbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/31/2020 at 1:12 PM, Bomber_County said:

Looking good Ron, you might try Autodesk Fusion, as I believe the licence is free for “hobbyists” . I  use architectural parametric modelling software predominantly, which can be adapted just a scale in the end of the day........

I also would highly recommend Fusion 360, even though some features that were previously available on the free hobby use version have recently been rescinded.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2020 at 1:14 AM, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Fidd88

I know it's not supposed to be painted bronze/copper because its actually metal, I believe it is stainless steel but not sure. Here is a picture of what you are talking about.

imageproxy.jpegthis shows the early cowl ring on the left with out the baffle and with on the right.

Beau Engine.jpgview showing the exhaust pipes going from cylinders to the cowl ring.

OPWP5Se.jpginside view of the cowl "townend" ring. Thanks for the input.

Ron G 

Excellent post, it's great to see some colour pictures of them. I can't speak to the Beaufighter, but I'm fairly certain that on the Wellington, these Townsend Rings are a steel inner-collector-ring, taking the hot gasses, with an alloy shroud around it, which is fed with ram-air, thus cooling the exhaust gases before they're emitted, which reduced both flame-flare and noise. That said, your picture appears to show corrosion on them more consistant with very thin steel on the hotter external (radially) portion of the ring, which does cast into doubt, my assumption that they were alloy. Perhaps one of us could quietly slip a magnet onto one when museums reopen?!

• Like 2

The collector rings of the Bristol engines were made of steel (not stainless, as far as I know), the only metal that could withstand the high temperatures of the exhaust gases.

Their color is actually a mix of the colors you find on steel submitted to high temperatures and almost submitted to a tempering process: from the blue so much loved by the high-range watchmakers like Breguet (steel blued at an alcohol flame) to the reds and oranges of steel going through various high temperature gradients, to some rust. « Brass » is just a shortcut simplification of these complex hues ...

Hubert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, HubertB said:

The collector rings of the Bristol engines were made of steel (not stainless, as far as I know), the only metal that could withstand the high temperatures of the exhaust gases.

Their color is actually a mix of the colors you find on steel submitted to high temperatures and almost submitted to a tempering process: from the blue so much loved by the high-range watchmakers like Breguet (steel blued at an alcohol flame) to the reds and oranges of steel going through various high temperature gradients, to some rust. « Brass » is just a shortcut simplification of these complex hues ...

Hubert

Hi, I know the collector-ring itself is steel, ie the ring into which exhaust gases are collected from the exhaust manifolds. What's less clear, is if the shroud containing the ram-fed cooling air is an alloy or steel. Looking at the Brooklands Wellington, it certainly appears to be alloy, but still might be this steel. The corrosion in the Beaufighter ring pictured in thread, does suggest you're correct though. Next time I'm at Brooklands I'll place a magnet on it.

• Like 2