The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

When I was Military...

GazzaS

I've noticed that many of us have served our countries in uniform.  I think it would be great if we could share this part of our heritages in photos.  Maybe we can sticky this one as like some kind of group photo album?

This is me:  I'm not a person who goes out of his way to end up on camera, and I've lost a lot of photos between marriages, divorces, and moves.  But fortunately my wife kept copies of these.  One is me in my boot camp Alphas photo.  The larger is me during Desert Storm at Saddam Hussein's "Line of Death".  I'm wearing half of my MOPP suit and there is charcoal from the suit all over my desert cammies, neck, hands, and face.

THWBpF.jpg

The photos have yellowed over time and I tried to improve them with the menus that go with the TS9500 printer, to no avail.  The only option I could find was to improve the DPI from 300 to 600 which didn;t make any difference.

Anyway...  Please share photos of you in uniform if you have em.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

Did you go to Parris Island or San Diego? I don't know if I have any pictures of myself when I was in the fleet, as I was the one with formal photography training. No selfies then.

San Diego my friend.  And if you went to Parris Island let me salute you for your ability to become a Marine amidst those terrible sand flies.  You look hard in that photo Smitty!  Excellent!

• Like 5

Dude, I have worn a mustache my entire life, starting at about 13, and for those 3.5 months I looked like an absolute freak!! I went to San Diego as well. I did spend time at Lejune though. Did you see a bunch of recruits at the Island got the covid bug, poor bastards!  Funny thing though, all this time I just thought you looked just  like Marty Feldman.:)    Sand flies got nothing on Mount Motherf#@%&*R

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

Dude, I have worn a mustache my entire life, starting at about 13, and for those 3.5 months I looked like an absolute freak!! I went to San Diego as well. I did spend time at Lejune though. Did you see a bunch of recruits at the Island got the covid bug, poor bastards!  Funny thing though, all this time I just thought you looked just  like Marty Feldman.:)    Sand flies got nothing on Mount Motherf#@%&*R

Still...  you looked like a mean MOFO.

• Like 5

• Administrators

I had no pics of me (one didn't generally run around taking pictures of oneself) until a couple guys sent me a few. Most were on R&R, but they sent one or two while in uniform.  Was a pasty faced cold blooded, no nonsense gut at one time.  About a year after this pic was taken, I transferred to a training batallion and did a tour as a DI.
This one was taken in 1982 on a Reforger fun get together.  LOL

7C9712CA-481F-49A9-855F-6176AFB9CB80.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sadly I wasn't in the military, I wanted to be a USAF pilot so bad but I was waaay too tall and too blind (and a screwed up back didn't help). I wasn't interested in being anything else. My dad and grand dads etc. were all in the military so I was kinda bummed I didn't continue the tradition. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1