The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Doyusha Zeroes: Any good?

GazzaS

• 2 weeks later...

The Tomy/Swallow/Doyusha kits are A6M2 Type 21 and have beautiful recessed detail, but they were designed to be motorized. The cockpit is worse than terrible, and the engine lacks detail, too. If you can swing it, I'd go for the Tamiya!

• Like 3

Guest Dekenba

No.

Get the Hasegawa new mould kit, it's very good, albeit around £40-£50.

Or the Hasegawa old mould kit is OK if it's dirt cheap. Seen it at around £20 or so recently.

The old Revell kits are that - old - but can be had easily & very, very cheap. Those moulds must be very old by now!

The Tamiya kit is the dogs nads if you have around £100 spare.

If you shop around, you can pick up a Tamiya Zero for around 65-75 USD shipped on ebay. I found mine on ebay for 65 recently. Considering that the new Hase kit goes for 50-60 shipped, it was an easy choice for me to get the Tamiya.

• Like 2

Guest Dekenba
1 hour ago, biggtim said:

If you shop around, you can pick up a Tamiya Zero for around 65-75 USD shipped on ebay. I found mine on ebay for 65 recently. Considering that the new Hase kit goes for 50-60 shipped, it was an easy choice for me to get the Tamiya.

It does seem the US market is different to the European market, which is different to the Aussie market.

We in the UK have to pay 20% VAT, so that explains part of the difference, but Tamiya Zero's are around the £100 here, whilst the Hasegawa kit is around half that.

Ignoring price considerations, I think it depends upon what type of build you want - if you want a bells & whistles build that takes a fair amount of time but gives a first class result, Tamiya is probably your kit. If you want a relatively simple, quick build, the Hasegawa is worth considering.