Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Next is "Sand Man" B-24D

JohnB

11 hours ago, JohnB said:

The little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me to consider the HB 1/32 B-24D. How about some input from you guys about this kit. Worth the money, etc?

I bought the J version from Lucky Model with their cheap surface shipping. It came out to less than $100 at the time but I had to wait a couple months for it to arrive. I felt that at that price, I could live with the faults 

My plan is to not go overboard and just add a minimal amount of AM, mostly Master barrels and Eduard PE for the cockpit. 

Carl

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jeff said:

They were kind of homely on the ground, but sure were a good looking bird in the air all cleaned up........ Jimmy Stewart drove one didn't he?

Yes he did.

• Like 3

The biggest issue with the  kit is the wings.

The airfoil shape is wrong and doesn't have the correct profile for a Davis wing. It's not an easy fix but Iain on LSP has been working on a mod. 

Not an error per se but the engines are very simplified. The cowl opening isn't that big though so that may or may not bother you. Vector had just announced resin engines and cowls. But it's almost as much as I paid for my kit...

There may be some nose shape issues with the D but I'm not sure about that. 

For the J kit, the turrets on early releases were completely frosted. This has been fix on subsequent releases. They are also spilt vertically and the seam can be quite visible. That being said, there's an RFI  on here where the builder used the kit turrets and they look fine to me. 

The MLG uses ABS plastic inserts for support. Aerocraft makes brass ones if you want to be safe and not have a gear collapse.  

I'm sure there's more but that's what I know of.

Carl

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The biggest issue with the  kit is the wings.

The airfoil shape is wrong and doesn't have the correct profile for a Davis wing. It's not an easy fix but Iain on LSP has been working on a mod. 

Not an error per se but the engines are very simplified. The cowl opening isn't that big though so that may or may not bother you. Vector had just announced resin engines and cowls. But it's almost as much as I paid for my kit...

There may be some nose shape issues with the D but I'm not sure about that. 

For the J kit, the turrets on early releases were completely frosted. This has been fix on subsequent releases. They are also spilt vertically and the seam can be quite visible. That being said, there's an RFI  on here where the builder used the kit turrets and they look fine to me. 

The MLG uses ABS plastic inserts for support. Aerocraft makes brass ones if you want to be safe and not have a gear collapse.  

I'm sure there's more but that's what I know of.

Carl

I appreciate the input Carl, thanks. :)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JohnB said:

The little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me to consider the HB 1/32 B-24D. How about some input from you guys about this kit. Worth the money, etc?

There is a great build on LSP that you can find helpful John. 

Cheers

M.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/85022-liberated-during-quarantine-pb4y-1/

• Like 1