Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Zoukei-Mura P51D Mustang SWS No 4.

I’m predominantly Vallejo with the odd bottle and tin of Xtracolour and Tamiya kicking around. When I came back to the hobby I bought a boat load of the AK Xtreme Metals, I’ll use those up and replace them with the Vallejo Metals. To use the Xtreme or Xtraclour a lot of extraction and ventilation is needed I find……

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Very nice paintjob Phil, glad you´re satisfied finally. There were times, where I feared, you might bin the Mustang.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob , I became very disillusioned with the finish admittedly but have never binned a kit, let’s hope I don’t mess the gloss coat and decals……..🤞

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Phil,  Nice work!  Looks smooth.  Is that the kit canopy?  Perfectly clear, wow.  Chris 

Thanks Chris much appreciated, this is the first model I’ve used the H&S CR Plus on and I am very happy. Yes that’s the kit canopy, ZM have a mould line down the centre so I had to polish it out. Used Tamiya polish fine & finishing grades. It was scary putting a file to the moulding line…….

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Mighty nice work and I'm sure it's a relief that the paint work is done and came out looking spot on the money. :construction:

Thanks Peter, finishing a build is always the most stressful, I know shouldn’t be ………

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Chris much appreciated, this is the first model I’ve used the H&S CR Plus on and I am very happy. Yes that’s the kit canopy, ZM have a mould line down the centre so I had to polish it out. Used Tamiya polish fine & finishing grades. It was scary putting a file to the moulding line…….

Phil,   I have the same H&S airbrush, but for some reason I keep picking up my GREX, which has the pistol grip.  I LOVE it.  The control over paint and air is so much easier than with my trusty Iwata HP-C.  I'm not practiced enough with the H&S to take advantage of its capabilities.  Eventually will get there.  I need to put the effort into learning it.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 3:26 PM, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Peter, finishing a build is always the most stressful, I know shouldn’t be ………

Shouldn't be but sometimes it's a relief to know the build is finished and time to move on.

• Like 3

On 2/23/2024 at 9:02 PM, CANicoll said:

Phil,   I have the same H&S airbrush, but for some reason I keep picking up my GREX, which has the pistol grip.  I LOVE it.  The control over paint and air is so much easier than with my trusty Iwata HP-C.  I'm not practiced enough with the H&S to take advantage of its capabilities.  Eventually will get there.  I need to put the effort into learning it.

Chris my first H&S was their Ultra, basic but solid performer. The new CR Plus has the adjustable tension and the dial needle throw adjustment, the do taking getting used but wow are they brilliant, I got the 0.15  / 0.4  combination which is perfect. The Ultra is relegated to varnish work now. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Phil,  Your paint work is really top notch!  Beautiful.  I'm a big fan of Vallejo's metal paints including the Model Air you used.  But the panel fitment on your bird is perfect - so smooth!  I hear you on polishing out the mould line on a canopy.  My first one I cracked the canopy literally a minute after I started.  The other as I was nearly finished.  Lots of bad words were uttered.:censored:

You do realize, of course, that the topside of the fuselage and tail were blue?  (Throws grenade, ducks down into a trench).  Just kidding!! So much controversy of the colors.  I've built two, one all green like yours, and the other blue and green.  Don't even bother on what SHADE of blue.....

• Like 3

13 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Phil,  Your paint work is really top notch!  Beautiful.  I'm a big fan of Vallejo's metal paints including the Model Air you used.  But the panel fitment on your bird is perfect - so smooth!  I hear you on polishing out the mould line on a canopy.  My first one I cracked the canopy literally a minute after I started.  The other as I was nearly finished.  Lots of bad words were uttered.:censored:

You do realize, of course, that the topside of the fuselage and tail were blue?  (Throws grenade, ducks down into a trench).  Just kidding!! So much controversy of the colors.  I've built two, one all green like yours, and the other blue and green.  Don't even bother on what SHADE of blue.....

Thanks Chris, I was surprised of well the straight Model Air Aluminium shot, I did thin it and laid multiple coats. I’m pleased with the alignments but did get the engine centre line a tad off but not dramatically, I see it anyway…..the canopy was scary but pleased with the outcome. Never knew about the blue! Oh well……… 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

Looking mighty good and kudos for keeping moving forward. NMF looks just fines as it more then duplicates an oxidized finish. :construction:

Thanks Peter, it’s almost there……..the only reason it went on the SOD was the Xtreme Metal but in retrospect I could have lived with it. It amazing I built this back in 2020, I’ve learnt a lot since so when I do the Mustang IV it will be smooth sailing……

• Like 2

Phil

I've been on board since day am all smiles that your ZM Mustang is nearing the finish line. So glad you stayed the course, regrouped the troops and have all the issues resolved and moving forward. 👍

• Like 1

Just for grins, here is some work done by Dana Bell who was kind enough to share with me his high-resolution scans from the Library of Congress photograph originals.  Some people think the colors are green, some think the pictures document blue on some aircraft.  I have copies of his original scans but the files are huge.  Here are some lower resolution captures and the notes are his.

ln8IrhW.png.9521b64d215fd556a6abdf96e68d4629.png1D-P-51-361FG-K-2487-detail-annotated.jpg.890d6ff8ca9a37903791dcf1612c2f7c.jpg

One modeler's version of the blue/green scheme:

lsp_2.thumb.jpg.8bf0a230f50da04654179a78abb486c6.jpg

• Like 4