The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

KV-1S - Trumpeter 1/35

Hi Guys,

I'm here, sorry I'm late, is there room for a small one? :wacko:

I have a few builds lined up for this, first up is the Trumpy KV-1S.

DSC_0204_zpsf915079c.jpg

I've got PE & Friuls on order, hopefully be here tomorrow, but in the mean time it's time to make a start ;)

Chris. 

Hey Guys,

Made a start on this and got the hull more or less done. Added the Eduard PE and a bit of scratch for the light & horn wiring:

DSC_0205_zps90c2260d.jpg

DSC_0206_zps97ce37fb.jpg

DSC_0208_zps6b1b1993.jpg

I'm doing the turret at the moment, however there is a very prominent join line right down the back. Any tips on how to fill and sand this while still retaining the textured finish and welds?

DSC_0209_zpsf5a19d59.jpg

Cheers fellas,

Chris.

I'd get the fit as good as you can, cement it with contacta or something similar that will weld the plastic together then while the join is still wet, stipple the area with an old stiff brush. That should give you a good potmarked area. I'd try to avoid using sandpaper as it will just create more work.

Hey Guys,

Got the turret sorted out. That was a poor way to mould the turret Paul, but I think it looks ok. I tried to fill the seam with cement but made a right mess of it! In the end I filled and sanded it smooth, then covered the whole thing in Mr Surfacer 500 and stippled it with a cut down brush. Looks ok to me, but we'll see when it's painted.....

I also added the turret cast numbers from thin solder and blended them in with Mr Surfacer. Eduard PE bits and handrails from brass wire finished it off.

1_zps48fdc28a.jpg

2_zpsc684b85e.jpg

3_zps625a24f7.jpg

4_zps2422a818.jpg

5_zps371a1c99.jpg

6_zps9e45f3f6.jpg

Cheers Guys,

Chris.

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

Got the turret sorted out. That was a poor way to mould the turret Paul, but I think it looks ok. I tried to fill the seam with cement but made a right mess of it! In the end I filled and sanded it smooth, then covered the whole thing in Mr Surfacer 500 and stippled it with a cut down brush. Looks ok to me, but we'll see when it's painted.....

I also added the turret cast numbers from thin solder and blended them in with Mr Surfacer. Eduard PE bits and handrails from brass wire finished it off.

Cheers Guys,

Chris.

Wow, you tackled that superbly!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Fellas,

Been messing around with paint, trying the fashionable 'Modulation' technique. I used the Vallejo 4BO set and I'm not too sure about the results to be honest, it does look quite bright  :unsure:.

What do you think?

D_zpsdf2ff8de.jpg

C_zps1c132971.jpg

A_zps228dc296.jpg

B_zps2c028df2.jpg

I'm hoping the weathering will knock it back a bit. This is it after chipping and dark wash:

DSC_0228_zps0fa8371a.jpg

DSC_0227_zpsef15348a.jpg

DSC_0230_zps84227d11.jpg

DSC_0233_zps8c03f688.jpg

DSC_0231_zps49357f1d.jpg

I'll reserve judgement on this till more weathering is done.....

Cheers,

Chris.

• Like 1

I'm with Martin (don't let go to your head) Same modulation set I bought for my Russian subjects for this GB. Might tone it down with a misting of Tamiya Buff. Looks vintage '80's Verlinden.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

Got the hull finished off tonight. The weathering has toned down the modulation quite a lot (I'm glad to say...!) and I'm pretty happy with the effect.

Friul tracks sprayed with Mr Color Dark Iron metalizer:

DSC_0236_zps72bf7870.jpg

All weathered up, tracks fixed:

DSC_0237_zps48cd6f9c.jpg

DSC_0238_zps4c65297f.jpg

DSC_0240_zps959fa03b.jpg

DSC_0241_zps8eb6bd59.jpg

Just the turret to weather up and finish off. Not long till completion......

Cheers guys

Chris