The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

Nice!

You can upload your model to the shapeways website and make sure to choose the extra detail printing material.

Are you going to add a little weight to the tires?

thanks Jeroen - Tim Perry (Wunwinglow on LSP) is helping me out with this one, but yes in future I will try shapeways. As part of getting the designs ready to make, Tim kindly added the bulging to the tyres and has told me how to do it in cage editor but I haven't tried it yet...

...so, I have not been doing much at the bench - nothing worthy of note in fact. I only have the 3D programme on trial for a short time so have been thinking about what I can do with that to help me out with the build in the longer term. I have finished the wheels, they were obvious candidates and hopefully they will be 'made' shortly - the nosewheel is complete below...

WIP416_zpsebhrbclg.jpg

WIP417_zpslvaeztyh.jpg

..the next part I tried was a bit more ambitious - the engine core for the P&W 2800 - I am still figuring out how to cast the cylinder I made and will ultimately need a core to mount them on. In addition the main crankcase cover is festooned with nuts & bolts & weird shapes so thought it might lend itself to more 3D modelling..

..still more to add but here is where I am at...

WIP413_zpskk7ff0nl.jpg

WIP412_zpsuj3fypbm.jpg

WIP414_zpsxjjyta6d.jpg

WIP415_zpsyam5ztjd.jpg

..in 1/24 it is still a fair sized hunk of engineering so I am hoping the details will reproduce well..

anyways, thats it for now - normal service will be resumed shortly, hope to get more of the cockpit done at the weekend coolio.gif

TTFN

Peter

• Like 1

Peter,

Everytime you raise the bar. Some time ago we discussed on LSM what the future would have in store for us modellers, you show us just what that is. Really looking forward how the tyres and engine will turn out.

Cheers

Cees

• Like 1

evening folks :)

Can't wait .. this is a whole new area for me so would really (pleeeze!) can you show us step by step process of the manufacture????

Thanks for the hugely entertaining build and now this!!!

Thanks for stopping by Grant - I will try to illustrate how it goes, but I am not doing the actual 'printing' so will likely just get the parts in the mail. I am lucky I am getting some help so I will see if I can ask for some 'in-progress' shots as they are made..

..so, I am still making the engine core and am now thinking I might even do the cylinders as well as they are going to be quite a faff & hassle to get 18 of two types (front & rear) cast up - especially as casting limitations mean they will likely be 4-6 parts each..

..this is where I am at..

WIP427_zpsa0rzavf4.jpg

..and checking the layout when ofered up to the 1/24 plan...

WIP419_zpsrsxktn9w.jpg

....now - onto some actual modelling...

I primed & painted the PE instrument panel and it's rear face part, I also cut out some clear to represent the glass - the top right two instruments need to be made seperately as they stand proud of the panel on square mounts so no glass needed for them...

WIP420_zpsfgqjqojv.jpg

..I carefully stuck the glass to the back...

WIP421_zps5isurttr.jpg

now I don't make a 1/24 US Instrument set so I gathered the graphics from the masters of the 1/32 set and scaled them & had them printed up on some nice satin paper..

WIP422_zpswbiukk89.jpg

..it didn't work out.... they were too low resolution for me (I remember now - thats why I started airscale!) so I used the layout to add what US instruments I did have from the 1/24 P51 Instrument panel set (these are also in the 1/24 RAF set)... for a couple I just had to use 1/32 USAAF and hope no-one notices ninja.gif

WIP423_zpsuub9xkkh.jpg

WIP424_zpsjexpztuy.jpg

..then I carefully laminated the parts and cut the paper sheet & edged it with black paint..

WIP418_zps61gxixdz.jpg

..there are many, many details to add - switches, knobs etc but the basics are there to work on...

WIP425_zpssn2z96lo.jpg

..and with a little twist into the light you can see the reflection of the glass - the tricky bit will be adding the detail without messing this up...

WIP426_zpsa11rf7cj.jpg

..thats it for now folks - back soon

TTFN

Peter

• Like 2

evening ladies smile.png

just a small update, though it is a fair few hours of fiddling about...

..the IP is pretty much done...

WIP428_zpshbca0xhp.jpg

WIP430_zpssifbublp.jpg

WIP431_zpskrvrrcor.jpg

..and again a little twist into the light to see the 'glass'..

WIP429_zpsyqubaijp.jpg

..will be moving on to the central panel below this with all the fuel / engine controls next...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 4

evening folks... smile.png

a little bit more done today - I moved on to the lower panel..

..first I primed the PE with Mr Metal primer...

WIP432_zpsrxb5bknc.jpg

..then shot some Tamiya silver out of a rattle can...

WIP433_zpsrwmb09qj.jpg

..I blobbed a few bits of maskol along the lower edges and airbrushed the black finish...

WIP434_zpssfasg501.jpg

..then got some placards and added them where needed along with a couple of dials...

WIP435_zps3dq9nff7.jpg

..added two starter buttons and the two red handles for emergency lowering the undercarriage...

WIP437_zpsyirlyb6g.jpg

WIP438_zps2qlbtzwq.jpg

..I still need to add some switches and two very distinctive 'ring' handles that are fuel controls, but I haven't figured out how to make them yet..

..here it is with the panel..

WIP439_zpsgvd1k9kq.jpg

WIP440_zps1aj7yya6.jpg

WIP441_zpsjvsui1tn.jpg

WIP442_zps9rqyimnf.jpg

..I am enjoying myself - this is my favourite part of any build I do... whistle.gif

..thats it for now...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 3

evening ladies

thanks for your kind words - every one inspires me to try harder..

so today is not mission impossible - just mission difficult..

before I self destruct, we need to build this...

WIP443_zpsvl7d3msc.jpg

..alright I cheated and had some PE made, so I scratched off the paint to show the detail underneath - it's just sprayed with a silver rattle can and then tamiya semi gloss black..

WIP444_zps6i6s2osw.jpg

..next I made a paper template to work out how to best cut the brass sheet and make up the structure of the switch panel..

WIP445_zpsfjlmffcg.jpg

..drilled & punched holes where needed to allow for fixings & pipework..

WIP446_zpse7x53rom.jpg

..a bit of concentration with the folding tool - i.e bend the face that is not being looked at - here everything is bent away from the top face..also some scale hardware rivets have been added..

WIP447_zpsr83r7cas.jpg

..added the cable conduits and due to bad planning had to chop out part of the top section to allow for the glass etc where there are dials..

WIP448_zpsgx9ehlkv.jpg

..sprayed it silver, then black and added the side indicator panel..

WIP453_zpsfotss69q.jpg

..picked off the maskol stippled at the bottom..

WIP449_zpshylurvq0.jpg

..added lots of bits of sprue for switches and detailed what I could see - still more to do but then this is two days at the bench for what most peeps say 'you can't see anyway'...

WIP452_zpsqeugbbjy.jpg

WIP451_zpsmrtqsbhe.jpg

..love every minute I build cockpit stuff coolio.gif

back soon

TTFN

Peter

• Like 3

thanks all - I am thrilled to hear you like what you see

..so, not much of an update as I have been busy, but I guess this is about building a Tigercat even if it is one piece at a time! The part in question is a canopy winding handle, this is what the pilot uses to crank it backwards & forwards..

I assembled the PE parts I had made by laminating them to make thicker parts...

WIP458_zpsniy9xgkp.jpg

..the re-stock of scale hardware nuts & bolts included these - they even have threads - unbelievable given they are less than half a millimetre in diameter..

WIP460_zps8fw8qpyc.jpg

..shot silver on another side console part that is up next...

WIP459_zpseb6gxovu.jpg

..the winding crank actually has a wooden handle so I turned a cocktail stick in my dremel - i figure nothing looks more like wood than wood itself..

WIP461_zpsqpc5wqd8.jpg

..painted it and did a bit of chipping - my new favourite way of weathering..

WIP462_zpsjd6wpthb.jpg

WIP464_zpseukow7a9.jpg

WIP463_zpsigwszpne.jpg

..so to make up for my rather weak efforts at progress on the bench, I have also been spending some late nights trying to get the engines up to scratch - Tim has been really helpful (thanks Tim) - I still have loads to do but in the long run I hope it saves me a few months scratchbuilding them (twice)...

WIP455_zpsm2lwkkgi.jpg

WIP456_zps0sudurrj.jpg

WIP457_zpshulsmpot.jpg

..also gave the fuselage another primer coat and am still trying to get rid of some rather persistant seams around the nose join which I really hope isn't caused by flexing between the very heavy resin/lead nose and the card structure..

more soon hopefully...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 1

evening folks - hope all are well :)

That engine looks terrific. I am very curious how that's going to come out of the printer.
Cheers
Cees

thanks Cees - me too :D  - it is made up of parts so I think when printed it will be an assembly job - all the cylinders are separate for example and will need resin rocker cover heads - the core, carbs and rear section are another 5-6 parts so I am hoping it will be like a DIY kit - if need be I will use the 3D parts as masters and cast them though would rather not as it would be all together easier if the parts are good enough on their own..

so, a few bits done in the last few days.. I wanted to get the rear part of the cockpit switch console finished..

..this bit on the right behind the main switchbox... it has some detail and a bunch of wiring & pipework beneath it

WIP465_zpspwmh6tce.jpg

..I made up some of the parts including pipe unions and the mounting for the big handle which is for dropping the landing gear in an emergency..

WIP466_zps2xmnm7ia.jpg

..used a spare PE console to make the base this all sits on as it needs to be dropped into the cockpit as one, I can't just mount it onto the floor...

WIP467_zpstvhokbz6.jpg

..a shot of interior green...

WIP468_zpsfpisgaq6.jpg

..added the pipework - it all looks a bit wee weed (as we say in the UK) now I look at it closely...

WIP469_zps29c54faw.jpg

..added some wiring bundles to the switchbox - these were stripped out of an old laptop - I just battered it with a hammer & took some bits I thought might be useful one day - it turns out the bundle that connects the screen to the keyboard is full of ultra small scale wires whistle.gif

WIP470_zpsn6vqq8ys.jpg

..still need to finish it, but this is where I am at..

WIP471_zpsbkq3sjmp.jpg

WIP474_zpsogifvu1t.jpg

WIP472_zpskjmgvlqe.jpg

WIP473_zpsewkxawr4.jpg

..back soon...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 1