The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair 'Marines Dream' WIP.

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM

Hi Danny looks great. Which panel line washes are you using? I've been using the Ammo ones on my F15 and I'm very impresssed. 

Thank's mate,

i use my own mixture for the panel wash, in this case i se a sludge wash. That's 5 part's tap water, 2 part's acrylic Burnt Umber paint and 3 part's dish was soap.

Looking Very Nice!!!

Thank's Jonathan  :)

It's looking brilliant Danny, but too hot to do anything here, will start on owl now that parts have turned up. Cheers. Oz 

Thank's Mark  :) well here it's drooling wheater, cold, rainy and dark, the opposite from where you live.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Excellent result. Are you planning on doing more weathering?

Cheers Bevan

Thank's Bevan,

yes i do, chipping, a post shade and some filters to simulate the coral dust are needed to obtain a more realistic result.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Well guy's, i did some more work on the Birdcage Corsair today. I glued some thing's prior to the flat clear coat.

During this work, i realized that this model is really getting bighelp.gif .........but at the same time, it's a impressive modelcoolio.gif so i'm not complaining.smile.png

Ok, landing gear is glued onto the model, wheel still dry-fitted because they need some pigments for wheatering. Also the engine is glued onto the model. Everything got a wash and wheel bay doors are also glued.

Time to give you guy's some pictures

EIEYnrel.jpg

DbGkwf9l.jpg

gVT5QB1l.jpg

j4UA9I3l.jpg

Next photo's are with the engine installed.

lHHjgtDl.jpg

lHHjgtDl.jpg

2Ky536xl.jpg

CkzaSNwl.jpg

and with upper engine cowl

V4g3gIrl.jpg

SWYJWsHl.jpg

f06Mj7xl.jpg

Greetz

Danny

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Well, the Birdcage Corsair may be finished, still i need to make a base so, time to start one.

Typical, for Pacific airfields are the palm trees. They are very obvious and they where all around the airfields,so i find it appropriate to place a few on the base. One problem, i never made my own trees so, it was time to learn some skills regarding terrain modeling.

I always try to achieve a nice result without the need of special skills, so my goal was to make some palm trees with simple techniques, still with a nice result. At the end, all went very smooth and so i decided to place over here a little workshop, so all of you guy's could profit with this technique for making your own trees if necessary.

First, the materials needed for this work:

The vegetation, for this i bought some false plants from a local shop for 5€ a piece. These will be used for the palm leaves.

WoB0l7Th.jpg

Also some iron garden wire, paper tape, epoxy putty, kitchen paper, Mr. Hobby 500 surfacer and wood glue.

For the garden wire, i used 12 pieces each about 40 cm in lenght and 1 piece about 55 cm.

I hold these 13 pieces together and at the bottom i bent them in an angle of 90°. After this is done, i taped at the bottom the wires together.

rpYCnHTh.jpg

I take now the longest piece of wire, and start to turn it around the trunk of the tree. This piece of wire will determine the length of the palm tree. At the upper of the trunk i again taped the wires together.

my6Bc6oh.jpg

MtRjAhJh.jpg

Next, i take a piece of kitchen paper and i cut it into strips. Width isn't important. I also thinned some PVA glue.

WHfpDLph.jpg

I turn each piece of strip around the trunk, and dip it with the thinned PVA glue until i'm at the upper part of the tree.

rF7Ydaqh.jpg

wODcC3Rh.jpg

Time to take some epoxy putty. I use it to make the characteristic appearance of a palm tree at the bottom and top of the trunk

eJmT01Lh.jpg

CZLLVcFh.jpg

Time to use the Mr. Hobby 500 surfacer, with a brush i will give the trunk a nice coat.

uhOXUXMh.jpg

A palm tree without coconut's isn't a palm tree, so i needed to make a few. Again, for this i used epoxy putty. Coconuts are all different sizes, and they are not round, so i had some artistic freedominnocent.gif

KRV3AmWh.jpg

Next, painting of the palm tree trunk. I studied some photo's of palm trees and it was obvious that the trunk of a palm tree have a rather light sandy color. This in with some brown wash and a light filter color gave the trunk a realistic appearance.

jDYa0nAh.jpg

tCqMHaRh.jpg

The coconuts where hanged into the tree.

Gx9stYuh.jpg

iK9O99Ch.jpg

They all needed also a color, so again some reference was needed. When hanging in a palm tree, coconuts aren't brown, but green, so in this order i painted them.

1UTdcKQh.jpg

And finally, we are coming to the final stage of making a palm tree, the leaves. Like i said before, i use for this some false plants, i cutted the leaves and then i cut them into eye shape. After that i cut diagonal with a hobby knife and so i get the palm tree leaves.

fgGnkAwh.jpg

J5rt3KHh.jpg

And finally, my first step of making a palm tree is coming to an end. I'm rather pleased of the result, for a first timerhmmm.gif

Hope you guy's like them.

OGIGTAzh.jpg

JaKNxdmh.jpg

8RAdACrh.jpg

Ew2SpGKh.jpg

IDbOwbJh.jpg

IUpjgYDh.jpg

CtCOycgh.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Very effective Danny. The artificial plant leaves look great once shaped like palm leaves. 

Thank's mate for the nice comment. :thumbsup2:  :thumbsup2:

Greetz

Danny

Nice coconuts Danny :) . I really like your method and will keep it in mind for a future Beach-Project.

Just took a reference shot in the garden and what's left to say you nailed it.

For me there is no time for modelling today, because I have to cut the real palm :lol: .

P1120683.thumb.JPG.e4a355d94e95e08ddc047805b0923e00.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent detail obtained in the cockpit painting, landing gear wells, here we will walk on the table watching the new developments, I really liked the finish of the model and those very interesting and great palms the work obtained in them very realistic.

Excellent detail obtained in the cockpit painting, landing gear wells, here we will walk on the table watching the new developments, I really liked the finish of the model and those very interesting and great palms the work obtained in them very realistic.