The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

I feel the need... for Shake and Bake... Tamiya StuG

On 3/13/2021 at 8:01 PM, DocRob said:

On the first pics, your STUG looks like covered with dark caramel sauce, sweet :D. I like the resulting camo though and think it's well worth the effort. I worked on a winter STUG project in an early phase as well, with only most of the Zimmerit applied. My plans for the winter camo were to use washable white colour by Ammo of Mig, applied by brush, to hinder overspray. I haven't tested the method until now, but will post the results.
I like hairspray chipping and have used it to my liking on several occasions, but never decanted the stuff. Two or three passes, directly from the can were sufficent, depending on the planned effect.

Cheers Rob

18 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Hmmmmm you guys have got me thinking about my next AFV, looking good Gaz, following your experiments closely...

16 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The camo looks good there Gaz. If you're covering the whole tank in white wash, does the but of overspray become that critical? Or are you just whitewashing the lower hull?

Carl

HI guys,

Thank you very much.  We're at a bit of a standstill at the moment because I wasn't happy with the white.  So, I decided to strip the white and redo it.  But...  as will happen, I lost a lot of the lacquer paint. too.  But not enough.  So, I am hitting the whole thing with another spray of oven cleaner, and it will soak until after work tomorrow.  Or maybe later tonite as I have no patience whatsoever.

Carl,

I don't really know how the winter white was applied in every case.  Whether it was paint, or lime.  Brushed or sprayed.  Either way, I try to avoid 1/1 scale over-spray.  I'm still feeling my way with this chipping fluid/hairspray.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The StuG is repainted.  I Think I'll pass on the camo scheme and just got the white over the yellow...  We'll see.

Meanwhile...  a new discovery.  What I thought were Winterketten are actually Ostketten. IMG_0252.thumb.JPG.72ee066cbb4533014f6b8be9a4e7a2fd.JPG

So, now I need ten spares to put in the rack behind the crew compartment. 

What color would you paint brand spanking new German tracks?

Gaz

• Like 6

4 hours ago, GazzaS said:

The StuG is repainted.  I Think I'll pass on the camo scheme and just got the white over the yellow...  We'll see.

Exactly my plan for my Stug build, using dark yellow as a base for the winter wash, which I will brush paint with washable white.
The extra track links may look like light gun metal, brand new. It's cast steel, so it won't be to shiny and not to light with the slightly pitted surface, reducing refraction. If they where some time on the tank in a winter humid surrounding, I would use my usual base technique with white metal tracks and blacken them chemically. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 8

13 hours ago, DocRob said:

Exactly my plan for my Stug build, using dark yellow as a base for the winter wash, which I will brush paint with washable white.
The extra track links may look like light gun metal, brand new. It's cast steel, so it won't be to shiny and not to light with the slightly pitted surface, reducing refraction. If they where some time on the tank in a winter humid surrounding, I would use my usual base technique with white metal tracks and blacken them chemically. 

Cheers Rob

After further waffling, I decided I wanted some airbrush practice.  The reason for further waffling was discovering that they were Ostketten and not winterketten.  This opens up the deployment months to include all of the wet months.P1013341.thumb.JPG.1d247a934bb5db49e8d1425a494a5c35.JPGt

My original display concerned a winter vehicle in a situation where there was some mud as well as snow.  But...  now I can dispense with the winter colors if I desire.  Which helps because I don't have to try to find winter figures.  Also...  I didn't like the original scheme.  It look unnatural.   So, I painted this freehand last night.P1013340.thumb.JPG.fc14da394643284d4421c6198ae555e8.JPG

Again, I wanted the green to dominate.  Again, SMS lacquers .

P1013342.JPG.d73e12612c57bd97478f031cff9f18b1.JPG

And I added the Ostketten which are dry fitted.  I had to put pins over the drivers compartment to hold the heavy tracks in place.

P1013343.thumb.JPG.989f5d66f5a211d4a72256aaaec2f6e3.JPG

Anyway...  more kits to do and never enough time.

• Like 8

Gaz, there is a thread on Britmodeler discussing the track colour for German AFVs. The tracks had a high manganese content and therefore would have had a brownish metallic colour to them rather than grey. I've used Tamiya Metallic Grey and added some Hull Red to it to get a suitable look. 

Carl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Gaz, there is a thread on Britmodeler discussing the track colour for German AFVs. The tracks had a high manganese content and therefore would have had a brownish metallic colour to them rather than grey. I've used Tamiya Metallic Grey and added some Hull Red to it to get a suitable look. 

Carl

Thank you for that info!  I will give that a go!

• Like 4

Hi Gaz, your three tone camo looks spot on. If you still want to cover everything in whitewash, there are some excellent figures from Evolution Miniatures out there, which fit like a glove. They are extremely well casted and I bought them for mine. Like many of their figures, they look more animated, than these Alpine puppets in there often stiff poses.

Cheers Rob

67.thumb.jpg.be9d8baf72fe55c179f62d547e4994bb.jpg

66.thumb.jpg.1a0f9553ad2d348e29d2352a35318fd7.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2021 at 11:38 PM, GazzaS said:

After further waffling, I decided I wanted some airbrush practice.  The reason for further waffling was discovering that they were Ostketten and not winterketten.  This opens up the deployment months to include all of the wet months.P1013341.thumb.JPG.1d247a934bb5db49e8d1425a494a5c35.JPGt

My original display concerned a winter vehicle in a situation where there was some mud as well as snow.  But...  now I can dispense with the winter colors if I desire.  Which helps because I don't have to try to find winter figures.  Also...  I didn't like the original scheme.  It look unnatural.   So, I painted this freehand last night.P1013340.thumb.JPG.fc14da394643284d4421c6198ae555e8.JPG

Again, I wanted the green to dominate.  Again, SMS lacquers .

P1013342.JPG.d73e12612c57bd97478f031cff9f18b1.JPG

And I added the Ostketten which are dry fitted.  I had to put pins over the drivers compartment to hold the heavy tracks in place.

P1013343.thumb.JPG.989f5d66f5a211d4a72256aaaec2f6e3.JPG

Anyway...  more kits to do and never enough time.

Although I‘m not an expert I love the camo Gaz. Looks much better to me than your first attempt!

The Ostketten are a nice addition.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Although I‘m not an expert I love the camo Gaz. Looks much better to me than your first attempt!

The Ostketten are a nice addition.

13 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Nice work on the cameo - you’re turning into a modeling machine

Keep ‘em coming

Peter

Thank you, Gents!

• Like 4

Thank you, Peter.

After stripping the hull and repainting, I've done three rounds of winter white (a bone color) and hairspray chipping.P1013374.thumb.JPG.27391037dcc32b10f329c12ad7912281.JPG

I've added some more parts and you might notice in the first foto that my Notek light is turned.

P1013375.thumb.JPG.db517bc68ad92528bc7131a32b81573c.JPG

I've left plenty of options for sponge chipping and mapping effects.

P1013376.thumb.JPG.79213157fcb795ee8e6d5b1085e7827f.JPG

You'll notice some black bits trapped in the chassis.  This really gives me the shits.  It's Panzer Putty.  I had it stick once in aircraft wheelwells where I'd painted with Tamiya acrylics and left it in there for a couple weeks.  On this occasion, it's bound to lacquer paint in less than 6 hours.

I've tried heating it out by putting the model in the oven, freezing it out and even a couple substances.   Goof off had no effect, and Isopropyl turned it into and oily mess whilst stripping the paint.  As I'm opting for a muddy winter base, I can use mud effects to hide it.  I've thrown Panzer Putty in the trash.  As long as the stuff doesn't go mobile after I add mud effects, i won;t bin the model.

Happy modelling!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Thank you, Peter.

After stripping the hull and repainting, I've done three rounds of winter white (a bone color) and hairspray chipping.P1013374.thumb.JPG.27391037dcc32b10f329c12ad7912281.JPG

I've added some more parts and you might notice in the first foto that my Notek light is turned.

P1013375.thumb.JPG.db517bc68ad92528bc7131a32b81573c.JPG

I've left plenty of options for sponge chipping and mapping effects.

P1013376.thumb.JPG.79213157fcb795ee8e6d5b1085e7827f.JPG

You'll notice some black bits trapped in the chassis.  This really gives me the shits.  It's Panzer Putty.  I had it stick once in aircraft wheelwells where I'd painted with Tamiya acrylics and left it in there for a couple weeks.  On this occasion, it's bound to lacquer paint in less than 6 hours.

I've tried heating it out by putting the model in the oven, freezing it out and even a couple substances.   Goof off had no effect, and Isopropyl turned it into and oily mess whilst stripping the paint.  As I'm opting for a muddy winter base, I can use mud effects to hide it.  I've thrown Panzer Putty in the trash.  As long as the stuff doesn't go mobile after I add mud effects, i won;t bin the model.

Happy modelling!

You got the wintercamo spot-on, Gaz! The basic camouflage is shining through irregularly and even in some places completely to be seen. In my eyes it’s really stunning up to now. 

Is the Panzer Putty on the model really a mess? I think it’s hardly to be seen when all the wheels and the track are assembled. And when you cover it with dirt nothing will be seen of it anymore. But that’s only my opinion. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

You got the wintercamo spot-on, Gaz! The basic camouflage is shining through irregularly and even in some places completely to be seen. In my eyes it’s really stunning up to now. 

Is the Panzer Putty on the model really a mess? I think it’s hardly to be seen when all the wheels and the track are assembled. And when you cover it with dirt nothing will be seen of it anymore. But that’s only my opinion. 

Thank you, Kai.

That Panzer putty is more of a threat because I don't know what will happen to it later.  Will it migrate?  Ooze?  I know most of it will be hidden by the wheels and tracks.  It's just very annoying is all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Thank you, Kai.

That Panzer putty is more of a threat because I don't know what will happen to it later.  Will it migrate?  Ooze?  I know most of it will be hidden by the wheels and tracks.  It's just very annoying is all.

And when you cover all Panzer Putty with superglue (and accelerator)? 

• Like 2

The winter wash looks perfect, you can't beat hairspray for these type of camo, although, I will at least try the washable white on a dummy part.
Good to know, that Panzer Putty is such a menace with lacquers. I used it with acrylics until now and had no problems at all. Like Kai said, the residues will be mostly hidden and a nice winter camo needs a healthy dose of slush and mud ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DocRob said:

The winter wash looks perfect, you can't beat hairspray for these type of camo, although, I will at least try the washable white on a dummy part.
Good to know, that Panzer Putty is such a menace with lacquers. I used it with acrylics until now and had no problems at all. Like Kai said, the residues will be mostly hidden and a nice winter camo needs a healthy dose of slush and mud ;).

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob.  I don;t know why the panzer putty acted this way.  Maybe because it absorbs the over spray it has developed a penchant to be attracted to other paints.  Anyway...  it's gone.

I don't have any washable white.  I'm tempted to get some.  But I was hoping to get away with using some oils.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I don't have any washable white.  I'm tempted to get some.  But I was hoping to get away with using some oils.

I'm sure you will Gaz, your whitewash looks great and will be enhanced by the use of oils. For the washable white, I'm not so sure, I haven't tried the stuff and it will be tested thoroughly before use. If it fails, it will be hairspray too :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2