The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

I feel the need... for Shake and Bake... Tamiya StuG

Hello, friends!

I've taken a diversion from two rather intense builds for something easier.  However...  there is something I've always wanted to do...  build an AFV with some fenders ripped off.  So, I even took a diversion from shake and bake to do this:

w83i80.jpg

LakJqR.jpg

Along the side of the StuG are two pieces of angle-iron bolted to the hull and bolted together.  So, with no fender, I had to create some detail.  Fortunately I have a sheet of Meng boltheads and nuts.

It's funny...  once you start doing research....  when you realize just how much detail is left-off by model companies.   Where the brackets holding the fender are ripped off, I'll install some sheared bolts and surround the area previously hidden by the bracket with a facsimile of red-oxide primer.

For tracks I have some Friul winterketten.  So...  since I can't seem to find photos of them being used during fair weather, I'll have to do some winter camo, too.

• Like 14

14 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Hello, friends!

I've taken a diversion from two rather intense builds for something easier.  However...  there is something I've always wanted to do...  build an AFV with some fenders ripped off.  So, I even took a diversion from shake and bake to do this:

w83i80.jpg

LakJqR.jpg

Along the side of the StuG are two pieces of angle-iron bolted to the hull and bolted together.  So, with no fender, I had to create some detail.  Fortunately I have a sheet of Meng boltheads and nuts.

It's funny...  once you start doing research....  when you realize just how much detail is left-off by model companies.   Where the brackets holding the fender are ripped off, I'll install some sheared bolts and surround the area previously hidden by the bracket with a facsimile of red-oxide primer.

For tracks I have some Friul winterketten.  So...  since I can't seem to find photos of them being used during fair weather, I'll have to do some winter camo, too.

That's a lot of tiny bolts you've added there! Those Meng sheets are really useful.

I recently assembled the Tamiya Char 1 bis. It went together like a dream! it's been put

aside for now waiting to be painted. I'll get to that------someday.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Looking forward to this Gaz, I have a KT in the stash with PE fenders, I was complicating the same .......... ever done a Stug........

PE fenders are better because you can put some great, realistic metal bends in them.  I'll look forward to seeing your results.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Really like your shake 'n bake approach, with all these nuts, Friuls and PE. What is left out is the Zimmerit. Do you have any plans for that? 
I have a started Dragon Stug IV in my stash, which will be in winter finish too, along with metal tracks, Attack Zim and some great figures, but this has to wait a little before compleation. Meanwhile I take yours as a canvas.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

Really like your shake 'n bake approach, with all these nuts, Friuls and PE. What is left out is the Zimmerit. Do you have any plans for that? 
I have a started Dragon Stug IV in my stash, which will be in winter finish too, along with metal tracks, Attack Zim and some great figures, but this has to wait a little before compleation. Meanwhile I take yours as a canvas.

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob!  I'm modelling and early StuG.  Not a specific machine mind you.  But more a conglomeration of pre-zimmerit machines...  without Schurzen.  I have some great photos to work with, but usually only one shot of any given machine.

Like this one:

Sbjz6i.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice work Gaz!

You've gone and done it. I've just ordered the Takom Stug III kit. We'll see how that kit is shortly. 

Thanks mate!  I'll be curious to see your Takom kit.  Does it have Zimmerit?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

@GazzaS, I just ordered it so depending on what Canada Post does with it it should be here at some point soon. 

I don't think it has zimmerit on it. My understanding is it falls between the Tamiya and Dragon kits in terms of complexity and details. 

I have done Zimmerit on a couple Tigers and a Brummbar.  But they use a different pattern than the Stug or Panther...  I may have to break down and get ATAK for those kinds of models.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Because this will be a winter-white covered StuG, I decided to experiment with Panzer Putty.  I tend to let the dark yellow color dominate.  So, I decided to go the other way.  I'm sure it would benefit from touch up and a filter or two.

P1013300.JPG

P1013299.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Well...  after an hour of laying more panzer putty, I've a final painted result.  I suffered a little paint lift in an area where I did no sanding.  You can also see where the torn off brackets are. 

I'm not overly sure I'll ever go through the process again.  While it prevents over-spray, it also causes lines that don't look natural for something that would have been painted with a paint gun.  I'm hoping a couple filters will soften and blend everything.

On this occasion I tried something I never did before:  I thinned the SMS  lacquer paint with Bunning's Diggers lacquer thinner in the purple can.  Seemed to work alright.

I also painted most of the mantlet, gun, and bow freehand.  That is because Panzer putty has no adhesive properties.

The two blurry photos are what photos look like when I don;t use the tripod.

P1013313.JPG

P1013315.JPG

P1013317.JPG

P1013318.JPG

P1013319.JPG

P1013320.JPG

P1013321.JPG

• Like 9

My first attempt at snow using the chipping method.  I decanted some cheap hairspray into an old paint bottle and applied it with my airbrush. P1013335.thumb.JPG.b5e0f8066baf649895e49ccc4069b02b.JPG

I'm not happy about the over-spray.

P1013334.thumb.JPG.bde0d4949b6373a2b82c61ba448e7962.JPG

They said to work in small areas.

P1013333.thumb.JPG.60dd26e872f70f7e0ec4ba47146ee223.JPG

Anyway...  once I get it all on, I'm hoping that regular weathering effects will make it look more realistic.

Gaz

• Like 8

On the first pics, your STUG looks like covered with dark caramel sauce, sweet :D. I like the resulting camo though and think it's well worth the effort. I worked on a winter STUG project in an early phase as well, with only most of the Zimmerit applied. My plans for the winter camo were to use washable white colour by Ammo of Mig, applied by brush, to hinder overspray. I haven't tested the method until now, but will post the results.
I like hairspray chipping and have used it to my liking on several occasions, but never decanted the stuff. Two or three passes, directly from the can were sufficent, depending on the planned effect.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5