The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Atlas Cheetah E Scaleworx Conversion

Thanks all for the helpful info. They look like a promising route to getting all the colours I need in one brand. I'm never too keen on mixing paint brands on the main paintwork after some bad experiences in the past.

Just need to work out the best supplier now.

• Like 4

Primer on....

DSC_0106.thumb.JPG.879cb0f2ac05bfbd8cde6708f6f6a3b3.JPG

DSC_0107.thumb.JPG.ae032fb0e24970457418a7e9578f01d2.JPG

DSC_0109.thumb.JPG.a718bd3dc4ba250be90226103277f549.JPG

Actually better than I thought it might be. A little work required around the nose joint and some further rescribing on the wings and I'm good to go I reckon.

Got paints ordered - I've gone for the AK Real Colors as they have the best match to the colours needed and I fancy giving them a try as they seem to get a good write up.

Cheers all

• Like 5

Gus

Looking smooth as silk and oh so good.

Pure acrylics do not like most thinners other then their own. Another example is Model Air ... use Mr Surfacer Self Leveling Thinner or even Tamiya thinners, turn Model Air into goo as well. But yet, I've thinned MIG acrylics(which are pure acrylics) with Mr Surfacer Self Leveling Thinners and the results were perfect. Go figure. :unsure:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

Thanks fellas. Paints arrived this morning so I'm going to experiment with them a bit on an old paint mule before I commit to this and screw it up. I also need to have a think about the best approach and order of colours to try and minimise the amount of masking needed.

Yes it is a weird one Peter. I've thinned Ammo acrylics, which are similar to the MIG ones, no problem with Mr Levelling, but the Vallejo stuff turns to goo despite them seeming similar as well. :blink: I've also has the same with Tamiya's titanium gold which is the only Tamiya acrylic I've ever had go bad on me. I think it just has a lot more pigment in it than most of their others?!

• Like 3

Gus

I know .. it really is weird. Did a bit more detail air brush work late last night and tested out thinning Model Air Nato Black with Ammo by MIG Thinner. Using a .2 Air Brush, I needed the paint on the thin side ... well you guessed it: GOO CITY! Not understanding the actual differences between the two acrylics: Mig and Model Air and spending a lot of time cleaning out all the goo from the AB, I'm now dedicating one airbrush for just using Model Air, thinning with it's own thinner and cleaning the AB with Vallejo Air Brush Cleaner.

While Vallejo's color range is second to none, the inconvenience of using the wrong thinner when not thinking what I'm doing or in an air brush that isn't perfectly clean, has kept me from using the paint for much more then brush painting.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Ah, sorry to hear that Peter. Hope you managed to get all the crap out of the airbrush. From experience I know how stubborn it can be to get it cleaned out.

On another note, congrats on the good news from the follow-up. I work in nuclear medicine and PET over here, so it's good to see how quick they turned round your result. We seem to spend half our time chasing the medics to make sure they keep up with the reporting.

• Like 3

Gus

Much appreciated .. wonderful doctors and my wife who was constantly by my side. Hopefully I'll be staying on the path for a full recovery and taking care of the dental situation as well.

Cleaning out the air brush was a royal pain and I should have tested the MIG Thinner before trying to shoot it but now I know and extra care is surely needed.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update but no pics yet.

Have spent a lot of last couple of weeks doing DIY tasks for my parents so limited time to play with these Real Color paints but the more I try them the more I like them. They can really be thinned down but still cover nicely and go on nice and smooth.

I've started on the first colours so I'll post some pics later in the week as things progress.

• Like 2

Quick update.... first colours on

DSC_0112.thumb.JPG.5d3b4604fdb3ed61e2f6dd7a9bb18451.JPG

DSC_0113.thumb.JPG.280b9174f46f15896102825abacdb53d.JPG

DSC_0114.thumb.JPG.74c328b7fa220e3068afdc2845a08878.JPG

These are the easy ones! Now comes all the masking over those nice compound curves. :wacko:

Plan is to do the green and black next to get all the main colour blocks done then do the flashes of white and yellow last. Thinking of doing all the flashes white first then go over with the yellow where required to get decent saturation of the yellow.

• Like 5

Thanks Kai.

Yes, these are the AK Real Colors and so far I'm really impressed. They thin very easily with the Mr Levelling and spray nicely with no dry tip or anything similar. The colour density and coverage is also very nice even with the paints well thinned. The smell is also quite reasonable and not a problem. My wife is quite sensitive to odours but she hasn't even noticed these, thankfully.

Hope you're making progress on yours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

Thanks Kai.

Yes, these are the AK Real Colors and so far I'm really impressed. They thin very easily with the Mr Levelling and spray nicely with no dry tip or anything similar. The colour density and coverage is also very nice even with the paints well thinned. The smell is also quite reasonable and not a problem. My wife is quite sensitive to odours but she hasn't even noticed these, thankfully.

Hope you're making progress on yours.

I also work with the AK Real Colors and I am totally pleased with them like you! 

On the weekend I will start with the painting of the undersides.

I have a set with the needed camouflage colors from AK Real Colors. 

• Like 3

Gus

WOW .. paint work looks spectacular and agree with Gaz painting the yellow over the white bases is the best way to go.

Lots of good talk on AK Real Colors but when it comes to lacquers when I need to use them, I just love MRP paints. We really are so lucky these days to have so many excellent paint ranges to choose from and sometimes, that becomes one of the hardest build decisions for any project.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

This will be a bright scheme Gus, love it. If the white underlayed yellow is bordering against the other colors, you may can sand this back a little, carefully. This will look stunning in the end.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Thanks Peter and Rob.

Got some of the masking done and have come to a conclusion - I had intended to do all of each colour together as it all wraps around but I'm now going to do it as upper and lower surfaces separate as I would a 'conventional' camo scheme. The masking is just too difficult to get right if I wrap it around.

Upper surface green is now on, so mask that off then onto the black.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, GusMac said:

As promised Kai

DSC_0115.thumb.JPG.a24d479fae9499086f3a2a710a02cc80.JPG

DSC_0116.thumb.JPG.8441f0ea65811c9e50876a1c16e03b0d.JPG

Green is now also masked, so it's the black next.

Thanks for posting Gus!

This will be such a colorful bird and the green looks spot-on! 
Lots of masking work to do and careful planning of the painting necessary!

Both perfectly done by you. 

Can‘t wait to see the black on!

Do you solely use AK for the livery? 

• Like 2