The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Atlas Cheetah E Scaleworx Conversion

Quick progress update. I've given the upper surfaces a quick gloss coat to seal everything and mitigate against cock ups.

Canards and nose are now painted in the soft grey as well. 

DSC_0127.thumb.JPG.0327763d1d7b538bc7902c48e20b468f.JPG

DSC_0128.thumb.JPG.9936e410fe34fdfe67de2146b3356cde.JPG

Next step is to gloss properly and then I'll be moving on the the undercarriage, etc.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little Kai. Got all the undercarriage components and gear doors assembled and primed. Slight cock up with connecting the resin conversion lower main gear parts to the kit upper parts but I think I'll get away with it.

Been busy with student MSc projects last couple of weeks and I'll have to mark them this week, then off on holiday, so progress will be a little slow. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Just a little Kai. Got all the undercarriage components and gear doors assembled and primed. Slight cock up with connecting the resin conversion lower main gear parts to the kit upper parts but I think I'll get away with it.

Been busy with student MSc projects last couple of weeks and I'll have to mark them this week, then off on holiday, so progress will be a little slow. 

That’s a lot of work taking into account the quality of the kit parts!

Would be great to see some fotos of your detail work.

Have a nice holiday !

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Long time since the last update but life has a habit of cropping up! Anyway been chipping away in the odd moments.

It has legs and it's shiny!!

DSC_0135.thumb.JPG.4375e3682adcd651d684e45ad6319301.JPG

DSC_0136.thumb.JPG.3bb62ecf66efe2cd7c25d28e94e86610.JPG

No prizes for anyone spotting the cock up on the main gear legs. I'd glued the resin bottom sections in with superglue before I noticed and with the nice big steel core that John gives these there was no way they were coming out again without destroying everything. So, given I'm the only one who's going to see this and know, that's the way they're staying!

DSC_0134.thumb.JPG.5b6ccb657b92c97eee2cf86dda2eb577.JPG

All the final pieces are painted, weathered and sealed, so it's just final assembly to go. Should hopefully be done this week.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GusMac said:

No prizes for anyone spotting the cock up on the main gear legs. I'd glued the resin bottom sections in with superglue before I noticed and with the nice big steel core that John gives these there was no way they were coming out again without destroying everything. So, given I'm the only one who's going to see this and know, that's the way they're staying!

Bad thing is Gus, you shared it with us :secret:, that's at least three pages in your thread about how that could happen and how to fix it with heavy machinery :D.
Honestly, with your cracking paintjob, you could have glued the undercarriage to the upside and nobody would have spotted.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 3

If it’s a consolation, you’re not the first one to miss the distinct angle of the Mirage MLG.

And I know a friend who glued the MLG of a F-15 with wheels facing inwards. And a famous French modelling magazine published an article on the build of an E2-C Hawkeye, with the main wheels facing outwards 🤪 !

But, now we cannot unsee it :stirthepot: !

Hubert

• Like 3

Thanks fellas. Couldn't believe I'd done it but by the time I'd noticed the CA was rock solid. I might have had a chance with epoxy but hey ho.

Anyway,  as has been said it's hopefully bright enough to distract anyone from looking too hard and once the doors are on it'll be harder to spot. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1