The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Roden Albatros D.I

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Indeed fantastic Gaz, enjoy the view, unblocked by the upper wing. Later some of the detail will be hidden in eternal shadow.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob!  Yes...  the joy of the eternal shadow.  It sometimes makes me wonder if all of that work in the engine deck area is worth it. 

• Like 3

On 5/28/2021 at 12:14 AM, GazzaS said:

Alright, my friends!

Getting very close... 

got the matte coat on the dorsal surfaces yesterday.  I'm pretty pleased with the appearance.P1013709.thumb.JPG.e39eb987203506fc12516a94be16b5d0.JPG

P1013710.thumb.JPG.e30a54939e568d3e4bdf4aa10c058e46.JPG

P1013711.thumb.JPG.f5dc39c517b79c014738c9d8c54fd08d.JPG

P1013715.thumb.JPG.2143dc82996f9c4f3c500a2800ab6d9c.JPG

And now, the final non-rigging/final assembly detail left:  adding the windscreen.  This isn't a thick plastic windscreen a la' WNW.  This is a thin flat piece of acetate.  The Part PE set comes with metal frames that go nicely  with the Roden Acetate...  just have to paint them and attach.  To attach them, I used canopy glue (a relative of white glue) backed up by CA.

P1013713.thumb.JPG.233aad4db14e65808d390979f44af3b9.JPG

Macro shots show a little excess glue...  

P1013714.thumb.JPG.bee6768cf26380f1ccf7a00045f23d1b.JPG

Once dried (gave it a few days) and bent a little to fit the curve of the fuselage, I used more canopy glue to fit it.  Canopy glue is thick, and very tacky...  so, the windscreen stayed vertical straight away.

Again...  the large photos don't help my cause.  In reality this thing is about half the size of a pinky fingernail.

I hope to get the upper wing set this weekend, and maybe the rigging too...  so this will be the last update until it is completed.

Bis später!

Hallo Gary,

Awesome progress and close to the finish-line now! 
The engine room and the cockpit look fantastic as does the camouflage scheme.

Looking forward to seeing her finished!

Bis bald! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Hallo Gary,

Awesome progress and close to the finish-line now! 
The engine room and the cockpit look fantastic as does the camouflage scheme.

Looking forward to seeing her finished!

Bis bald! 

Thank you, Kai!  It looks like my building plans have been held up a little by life and some difficulties getting the top  wing on this morning.  I'll talk more about that on the final reveal.

During some TV time this past week and a half I was watching the TV Series Deutschland 83.  I still have to read the english subtitles but I'm hoping to improve my very spotty German by watching the next two.  I had to look up 'Bis bald'.

But I'll try not to use Google translate if I can avoid it.

Tschuß

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you, Jeff!

The final photos are posted here:

Meanwhile, here are a few more tips for your future rigging adventures:

1.  Tape finger:

P1013718.thumb.JPG.79a5c8d547b2e1479761d77ad65031bb.JPG

You can see how tiny the eyelet and brass tube are.  They easily fly or drop out of your tweezers.  This little bit of tape on your finger tip will save you a lot of agro either while moving the parts to the model, or while threading the tube, minimizing tweezer-time and tweezer launches.

2.  A sticky cutting surface for the eyelets.

P1013719.thumb.JPG.c4a519eb002c3d52ec2dd120689539f0.JPG

You can waste a lot of time trying to shorten the eyelets to the desired length with side cutters.  It's far easier to stick the eyelet to a loop of tape on a hard surface, and cut it with a blade.  

3rd and final tip:

Start from the middle and work your way outwards:

P1013721.thumb.JPG.76cbc526ef30b6664be43475d5606125.JPG

You don't want to be reaching past rigging to try to work with other rigging.  It's a fiddly enough process.  I imagine this point in the wingroot area is the center for rigging on most planes.  But you get the idea.

Happy modelling!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

So much appreciate your awesome rigging tutorial. Not only is it filled with techniques and tips - there is an endless supply of modelling juices in there as well.

Keep 'em comin

Glad to be of help. Peter!  Maybe you'll find yourself building something like this some day:

2796-9.jpg

Hasegawa 1/32 scale Boeing P-12E.  Not my work...  just one I saw on the net.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Stunning looking Boeing Gary!  Love the livery! 

Sorry...  that's not mine.  I plucked it from the web guessing that it might interest Peter more than European designs.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

But regarding the building quality it could easily be yours Gary! :D

Thank you for the confidence.  Inter-war stuff doesn't really interest me that much.   Just too much ugliness and tubby-ness...   sounds like my family reunion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2