The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Question about Trumpeter P-51B kit

JohnB

15 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

John, let me know if you want the Eduard exterior set for the kit. I have here I won't use. 

PXL_20210731_164434390.thumb.jpg.b6a449bc7e3714bc71d7ffa78a79f952.jpg

Carl

Thanks Carl. After the kit show up I'll look it over, etc. :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Drifter said:

I built the Trumpeter 1:24 P-51D IV. was not bad at all. 

My biggest problem with Trumpeter is the rivet holes.  On both the P-40 and the 109F(G), many of the rivet holes are elongated because the riveter doesn;t always come from a direction perpendicular to the Aircraft's skin.   So...   you get some holes near the bottom and top of the fuselage that are very oval.  Twice-bitten, permanently shy.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, GazzaS said:

My biggest problem with Trumpeter is the rivet holes.  On both the P-40 and the 109F(G), many of the rivet holes are elongated because the riveter doesn;t always come from a direction perpendicular to the Aircraft's skin.   So...   you get some holes near the bottom and top of the fuselage that are very oval.  Twice-bitten, permanently shy.  

Yes Gaz, their rivet holes are a bit over done at times. 😐

• Like 2

I just received the kit and, after looking it over, it looks pretty good (I got the RAF variant). The only "fly in the ointment" so far as I can see is the heavy rivet detail throughout. I'll put it in my stash for a future build. :)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

John, it looks like Aerocraft is doing a resin canopy for the Trumpeter kit. 

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/p-51-screen-and-rear-doghouse-section-for-trumpeter-1-32-kit

Thanks Carl. I like the looks of the new canopy and will consider getting a set when I decide to start on the kit. :)

• Like 2

On 8/8/2021 at 12:17 PM, JohnB said:

Thanks Carl. I like the looks of the new canopy and will consider getting a set when I decide to start on the kit. :)

John 

would love to see you work your magic on the Trump P-51B. I’m sure after seeing how the kit should and can be built, other builders will be joining the party.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John 

would love to see you work your magic on the Trump P-51B. I’m sure after seeing how the kit should and can be built, other builders will be joining the party.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

I just wish the rivet detail wasn't so heavy. Other than that it looks pretty good. We will see when I get around to building it. :)

• Like 2

I've been giving this kit a more thorough look. It appears I'll need some after market parts for a better model. Aerocraft Malcolm hood and screen, Aires cockpit, Quickboost gear doors. We'll see if there are others later. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Does it mean you'll be diving into the P-51B?

Keep 'em comin

Peter

At some point, yes Peter. Not sure it'll be next though. I want to get all the after market stuff first (the Malcom hood will come from England).

24 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John,

Nothing like planning ahead and having everything you before starting. I have tought about decals and a paint scheme yet or is it too early?

Keep 'em comin

Peter

I'm seriously considering Deacon Hively's 4th FG OD and gray a/c with invasion stripes. Unfortunately it doesn't appear there are any 1/32 decals for it. I have a sheet of 1/48 for his a/c that I can scan, re-scale and print on my laser printer. Wish I could find a 1/32 sheet for it but it is what it is I guess. :)

Hively.jpg

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

One good looking scheme for sure.

I'll be ready and waiting for the fun to begin. :popcorn:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

I've begun some preliminary work on the wings by brushing on some Mr. Surfacer 500, sanding smooth, and then over spraying with Alclad Gray Primer and Microfiller. It's helping to minimize the heavy rivet details and looks like it will be a fair solution. I'll start a WIP this weekend. :)

• Like 2