The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Question about Trumpeter P-51B kit

JohnB

There's some shape issues with the kit. Shocking I know.:lol:

Mostly the cowl and the opening under the prop. The rear windows apparently have a shape problem as well.  The MLG bay has the incorrect front wall that so many Mustang kits have. The leading edge kink at the wing roots is the wrong shape I think as well.

Jerry Rutman used to do a correction set that fixed the cowl and gear bays. Grey Matter Figures (who bought many of Jerry's masters) didn't bother with that set unfortunately.

The Aires MLG is supposed to be a decent substitute if not 100% accurate. 

I think there is a new rear window coming from a guy called 109 Ace. He used to be on LSP but you can find him on eBay. Can't recall what his seller's name is there. 

I can't recall the rivet situation so something will have to comment there. As I sold mine before getting around to it, I don't know how it goes together either. 

Maybe HK or ZM will finally being out a modern kit this decade. 

Or do as Martin did and graft a Hasegawa nose onto a Revell fuselage. Or was it a Revell razorback onto a Hasegawa one? 

Carl

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

There's some shape issues with the kit. Shocking I know.:lol:

Mostly the cowl and the opening under the prop. The rear windows apparently have a shape problem as well.  The MLG bay has the incorrect front wall that so many Mustang kits have. The leading edge kink at the wing roots is the wrong shape I think as well.

Jerry Rutman used to do a correction set that fixed the cowl and gear bays. Grey Matter Figures (who bought many of Jerry's masters) didn't bother with that set unfortunately.

The Aires MLG is supposed to be a decent substitute if not 100% accurate. 

I think there is a new rear window coming from a guy called 109 Ace. He used to be on LSP but you can find him on eBay. Can't recall what his seller's name is there. 

I can't recall the rivet situation so something will have to comment there. As I sold mine before getting around to it, I don't know how it goes together either. 

Maybe HK or ZM will finally being out a modern kit this decade. 

Or do as Martin did and graft a Hasegawa nose onto a Revell fuselage. Or was it a Revell razorback onto a Hasegawa one? 

Carl

Thanks for the feedback Carl. Looks like more than I want to have to contend with so I'll pass on getting one and keep my fingers crossed Tamiya, ZM or someone will give us a new, accurate, one. Thanks again!!!

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, harv said:

Yes, I've heard it has issue's,  BUT I've seen several built and they looked very good......harv

I guess I'd just have to see one built Harv. Thanks.

• Like 3

Hard no to Trumpeters attempt.  Wing supposed to have laminar profile, it doesn't , engine cowling is off, spine is too bloated, which messes up the windshield, you name a part and I will tell you what is wrong with it. In fact, I opted to convert Revell's D.  

This is one of the best builds out there , by Miloslav.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=2853

• Like 4

One of the burning 32nd scale questions of all time:

When are we going to get an accurate P-51B ?
It’s always been on the most wanted list and naturally on all Tamiya lists but just never has appeared. Just doesn’t seem as if it will ever happen 🙁

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Peterpools said:

One of the burning 32nd scale questions of all time:

When are we going to get an accurate P-51B ?
It’s always been on the most wanted list and naturally on all Tamiya lists but just never has appeared. Just doesn’t seem as if it will ever happen 🙁

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Sad but true Peter. 😐

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ThomasProbert said:

Or you could just build it and enjoy it for what is... a model that looks surprisingly like a P-51B when done 🙂

Exactly. I just enjoy the build and don't give a rats patoot if is a millimeter to short/long here or there.  

Jerry.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

It was rumoured that ZM were contemplating one, did I dream it who can say, but when The Old Man was at Telford in 2019 I swear he mentioned it………

You are correct.  He did mention it....harv

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

in 1967 Monogram released it's P-51B in 1/48 and set the bar of quality that is hard to beat in 2007 ? As a paying customer with some basic knowledge of the subject .... I want more for my money.

jacksonp51bi.jpg

Built it several times.😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/28/2021 at 12:14 PM, k5ikl said:

Bitch, moan, groan and bellyache<_<  about a kit but it still looks like a P-51B to me.
Don't be so damn picky.

Jerry

P51B-QPL-1.JPG

P51B-QPL-2.JPG

P51B-QPL-3.JPG

P51B-QPL-4.JPG

P51B-PIT-1.JPG

P51B-PIT-2.JPG

P51B-PIT-3.JPG

P51B-PIT-4.JPG

Jerry, yours is the first one I've seen built. Thanks for sharing. It's does look nice. 

Carl

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 5:14 PM, k5ikl said:

Bitch, moan, groan and bellyache<_<  about a kit but it still looks like a P-51B to me.
Don't be so damn picky.

Jerry

I'm with Jerry. I know Trumpy get a lot of hate because of the shape issues, riveting, etc but I've built quite a few (P-47, A-7, Mig-23 etc) and they generally go together well and the plastic is decent. Certainly as good, if not better, as the Airfix Typhoon I recently finished, or the KH F-5. Also, I'm the only one in my house who has any idea what they are meant to look like, so if they're in the display and I'm happy then...

It's probably sacrilege but the Tamiya F-15C gave me more bother than any of the Trumpy kits in terms of fit.

• Like 6

I'm not damning Trumpeter kits at all. I just think it's a good idea to do some research before forking out your money. I've built the Razorback P-47, the TBM-3 and the SBD-3 and all were great. :)

• Like 5

19 hours ago, JohnB said:

I decided to go on and get one. Pretty fair price on ebay $48.00 + free shipping. Now that I've done that just watch Tamiya, ZM or somebody announce a new one. :)

:lol:

Not Tamiya, they just announced a new version of their 1/48 Tomcat with dropped flaps and slats. 

• Like 3