The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32 Hasegawa Bf 109 G-6/R6, Yellow 4, 3./JG300

Hasegawa's G-6 kit with ideas of modelling Lt Manfred Dieterle's "Yellow 4", based on the Montex Super Mask set K32024...

1AS_zpsb5348b34.jpg

... some left-over Eduard bits and lead foil...

4AS_zpsd5f2105e.jpg

7AS_zps50eab09b.jpg

... it does say "Fills fine gaps. Creates invisible seams."  Tried it for some larger areas but wasn't keen on the results.  Too grainy and soft so went back to Mr Surfacer.

1AS_zps162d754b.jpg

Another go at some "black" using a base coat of X-18 Satin Black followed by random mucking about with a 50:50 mix of XF-68 NATO and XF-69 NATO Black; some XF-85 Rubber Black; and finally XF-69 NATO Black...

2AS_zps28a7a28d.jpg

3AS_zpsa1cfe745.jpg

6AS_zps317398d1.jpg

XF-68, 69 and 85 were also used to start preshading the topside and exhaust stain areas.

5AS_zps2d9686f0.jpg

4AS_zps8c51c235.jpg

Not managed to find any pics of Dieterle's Yellow 4.  Any assistance would be much appreciated.  Thanks for looking.  Cheers, Ralph.

• Like 7

Thanks Steve - was beaten by a flickr door gunner who wouldn't let me pass.

More mucking about.  RLM74/74 colours were based on a mix approach used by Marty Sandford on Hyperscale a long time ago.

7AS_zps7868b113.jpg

RLM75 areas loosely infilled with XF-77, then topcoated with a 3:2 mix of H69 and XF-50 (Marty used a 5:1 mix of XF-24 and XF-50).

8AS_zps2efcc919.jpg

9AS_zpsa5685a47.jpg

RLM74 areas were infilled with XF-74...

10AS_zps0cdb54b0.jpg

... and topcoated with a 4:1 mix of H68 and XF-27 (Marty used a 3:2 mix of XF-24 and XF-27).

11AS_zps69cf6699.jpg

RLM76 was a 3:1 mix of XF-2 and XF-23, tightened up around the edges with some H57, and then some XF-19 (Marty used a 7:2:1 mix of XF-2, XF-66 and XF-23).

12AS_zpsfafd95de.jpg

Thanks again for looking.  Cheers, Ralph.

• Like 3

Yeah,

But it's pretty close to the Montex illustration. With those specific markings and the yellow spinner tip, there had to be a photo about somewhere.

Frank (Daywalker) ended up painting his G-6 three times... It's all the rage now apparently!

S

Hi Ralph.

I am loving your work on this and am very impressed by your airbrush work. As someone who is trying to finesse my own skills, I wondered if you could take a moment to explain your own technique here. I'd love to know more about which airbrush, pressure settings, paint to thinner ratios and general methods you use to obtain such fine work. I have some Luftwaffe mottling lined up for the near future and alas, my airbrushing is a bit of a blunt instrument at the moment. I aspire to achieving finishes like yours so any pointers will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

Mike.

Cheers Ralph, I love seeing your AB work and this one is no exception.  Pity the actual plane looks a bit different, what are your plans at this point?  Seems a bit of a shame to cover up such beautiful work, hope it doesn't come to starting over.  

Another Lesson from the Master of Colors and Weathering. You make it look so easy to blend the different colors together to form such an natural looking surface.

Watch and learn. Still getting no Testors Dullcote Laquer in our shops here. Have to stick with Gunze Flatbase - But I think its not the product, its the knowledge ;-)

Do you mix some of the basecolors with the Dullcote to blend it in?

Great work, it is a pleasure to watch your progress posts.

Greetings from Austria to Australia.

Jerry

• Members

And, here we go...

Gelb4_3JG300_zps59eca557.jpg

Credited to Lorant and Goyat, used without permission for the purposes of limited research.

S

Interesting, I thumbed through JG 300 Vol. 1 by Lorant yesterday and apparently they didn't include this photo.

Thanks Gents.

Mike:  I use Tamiya and Gunze acryilics thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner - usually starting with about 70% thinner, and adding more for the in-close stuff.  The paints are applied using an Aztek A470 airbrush fitted with their 0.3mm tan tip.  Pressures are around 20-25psi, plus or minus the regulator gauge accuracy.  Most of the application is done at about 5-10mm from the surface, with a jittery/shaky motion so that the density of the paint, and the shapes of the mottles look random.  Most of the pre-shading is just mucking around to see what influence colours and shapes have on the topcoat colours.  It could all be done just by post-shading I guess.

Jerry:  I do use Dullcote tinted with Tamiya acrylic colours as a way of adding dirt/grime.  I've not tried it with an acrylic flat clear - must give it a go some time.

Steve:  had a go at following Frank's lead by overspraying the fuselage with a bit more light blue.  This was applied with Tamiya's 0.2mm Superfine airbrush after losing it bigtime trying to emulate the results of local friends whose talent with this weapon far surpass mine (thanks Doorgunnars).

1AS_zps398e7256.jpg

2AS_zps8a349dd4.jpg

3AS_zpsa8cb6284.jpg

4AS_zpse9e9c47e.jpg

Thanks for looking.  Cheers, Ralph.

• Like 4

Mike:  I use Tamiya and Gunze acryilics thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner - usually starting with about 70% thinner, and adding more for the in-close stuff.  The paints are applied using an Aztek A470 airbrush fitted with their 0.3mm tan tip.  Pressures are around 20-25psi, plus or minus the regulator gauge accuracy.  Most of the application is done at about 5-10mm from the surface, with a jittery/shaky motion so that the density of the paint, and the shapes of the mottles look random.  Most of the pre-shading is just mucking around to see what influence colours and shapes have on the topcoat colours.  It could all be done just by post-shading I guess.

Thanks very much.

Cheers Gents.

Hey Jeroen:  good to hear.  We might yet finish the Grey Nurses then!

Markings on using a combination of Montex and Miracle Paint Mask masks.

1AS_zps28699643.jpg

2AS_zpsa4d3a129.jpg

3AS_zpsfa838864.jpg

4AS_zpsf3feadce.jpg

5AS_zps77ea538f.jpg

Balkencreuz black infill done with a 50:50 mix of XF-1 and XF-69; waves with XF-85.  Yellow was a 50:50 mix of XF-3 and H413.  Was surprised at how the blacks sucked the life out of the yellow.  Doesn't pay to get any closer - even after careful wet-sanding with 6000 grade Micromesh.

6AS_zps36370c8f.jpg

7AS_zps73306f35.jpg

Thanks again for looking.  Cheers, Ralph.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Gents.

Basic paint work, kid's watercolour panel line washes, and Testors Dullcote on - now ready to start the airframe weathering.

1AS_zps52d5d250.jpg

2AS_zps45550dba.jpg

3AS_zpsbc33acb0.jpg

4AS_zpsd41c1144.jpg

Roy Sutherland's "Bf 109G RIBBED HUB-SMOOTH TYRE" (BR32071).  Tyre painted XF-63 German Grey, washed with Vallejo 70822 German Cam. Black Brown, and lightly sponged with some Vallejo Panzer Aces 321 Highlight British Tanker.

5AS_zps6699b059.jpg

Went very slowly with the drill - still some kit part trimming needed.

6AS_zps876861df.jpg

7AS_zps9a6a5e10.jpg

Jerry Crandall's "Bf 109 Spinner" (EP#20-32) instead of the kit spinner.

Thanks for looking.  Cheers, Ralph.

• Like 3