The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Some things are better in wood!

Irishman1

This is my cutty sark ship model I built a few years ago. My wife says a built it three times though. Not happy with the first thing, rebuild and learn from the second and finally get it right on the third! I would trace the real blueprints from the computer screen and then build the part as close to it as possible. I made all the pumps from washers and metal rods. I soldered the railings from my modeling brass and cut the sails from Indian cotton.the anti fouling copper is actually 2000 cut strips of copper snail repellent tape. I made the water keg’s from wood dowels. All raining and ratlines are hand tied.  So much more

545F69C2-C640-4414-93A0-EB72AA7FD3BB.jpeg

4F8D800D-5EF7-4E2E-B9BA-8DEBAF6AD487.jpeg

D46F0F60-B24A-4229-8EB9-F64ECA3FAF9E.jpeg

550A1C42-6650-4BC8-9708-78E52A3B4DB1.jpeg

F102C7B7-5F5A-418B-94E9-25A20670C663.jpeg

2BB9226A-409B-4903-B52E-8FD030D6AC91.jpeg

F1DCADD1-6F43-454A-B07A-F89212C149DA.jpeg

00F6324B-B8FC-46B8-8AC8-23BEFAA9C36D.jpeg

925B5503-F9D3-4505-ADAE-8691DCBA4127.jpeg

0B94EF51-271C-4E92-82DE-330F2854CCE1.jpeg

97B1CEA6-3FA0-4894-B7C0-E85808938395.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Very nice build. It's scratch build, I understand and not based on a kit? I like your Cutty Sark a lot and even more, as I ventured into the build of my first wooden sailing boat lately. Welcome to the forum and if wooden ships are your mainstay, you will start to close a gap here in LSM, where there are only a few builders of wooden ships present.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Wow.  Always wanted to do a wood ship model.  No way I could even come close to this.  
Question though.  How does one go about dusting off this much detail?  Around my house it would be covered in dust and cat hair in no time. 

A lot of people put them in glass/plexiglass cases.  But, that becomes a very expensive add-on to the end of the build.  I put my first (and only) completed ship in a plexiglass/wood display case, and it looks like the day I finished it, but the cost was painful.  Probably in the end cost 2-3 times what I paid for the kit 😳

You should totally try one out.  It's a different method of building than obviously plastic builds, but I think having the cross experience will serve you well.  Personally, I like the wooden ships in that you are working in many materials - wood, metal, rigging line, cloth, etc.

• Like 6

Hey Mike,  I use to be heavy into RC airplanes. Not those ARF things, but the balsa, aircraft ply and sometimes fiberglass.  And woodworking is a hobby of mine.  You might be on to something.  But I really don’t have a good place in the home to put one up for display.  

• Like 2

I have a small make up blush brush I stole from my wife to TRY to keep the dust off. As you can see though from the pictures it’s very difficult! I looked at buying or making a glass/plex case and it was very expensive. However when something takes several years to complete it might be worth spending the money 

6C5B8DEF-CC2D-4EC4-8EB3-42EB74155B7A.jpeg

9D283690-6E12-4D59-8AA1-592B67111EEC.jpeg

EE247E59-F7CE-40B6-9904-87CA5FAA546F.jpeg

83A32657-D7F2-45B7-8CBB-330435758DFD.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Hey Mike,  I use to be heavy into RC airplanes. Not those ARF things, but the balsa, aircraft ply and sometimes fiberglass.  And woodworking is a hobby of mine.  You might be on to something.  But I really don’t have a good place in the home to put one up for display.  

I have three wooden ships in process at the moment (well, haven't really touched them in a year or two because I got sucked into plastic).  Space is definitely a consideration.  I think what I'm going to do is try to either sell them, or more likely, just donate them to a local library, a school, etc.  I'm more into the journey in building models, not really looking to turn my house into a museum - and I'm sure my wife feels similarly 😆

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know some people use compressed air to try to blow the dust off, but I'd be so nervous doing that around the rigging or small parts.  If anything isn't fully adhered to the model, you could quickly ruin it.

Your detail work is amazing - very nicely done!  Even more impressive that it's scratch built!  Can I ask what scale you built it in?

• Like 1

I did build a display case years ago for my airplanes.  It started out with a budget of around $1200. By the time I was done that had doubled.  And I was using recycled glass for a lot of the side panels and the back mirrors were out of our old bathrooms when we remodeled.  This little project got me into woodworking 

J9ci5c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Holy cow, that's amazing!  Even more so given that you scratch built it, wow!  Your sail work is fantastic - personally, I think adding sails is a great choice for these types of subjects, especially on clipper ships.

Thanks, I cut the sails from Indian muslin and then found that thin thread glued to them looked great as sew lines around the edge’s and vertically to look like the reinforcement lines.

• Like 2

Wow, that case is beautiful Scott!!  Can you make me one? 🤗  I'm looking into some kind of display/storage option for my plastic models but not really finding much besides bookshelves.  I'm not sure my wife would appreciate something with glass doors.

If you want to reduce the size of your model, you can always just build the hull and skip the masting and rigging.  Also, like plastic models, you can always just go smaller in scale.  Once I get through my current stash of wooden kits, I was thinking about modeling in miniature scales.  Here is one from Donald McNarry, who is a true master when it comes to modeling wooden ships in small scales.  This clipper is 32' = 1", and for idea of size that works out to, the display case is only 14.5" x 9.5" x 6.875" 😳

image.thumb.png.7171d773926e9e7431b1ad3755b2888c.png

https://www.shipmodel.com/acadp_listings/spindrift/

By the way, the view outside your house is incredible.  I'm jealous!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I know some people use compressed air to try to blow the dust off, but I'd be so nervous doing that around the rigging or small parts.  If anything isn't fully adhered to the model, you could quickly ruin it.

Your detail work is amazing - very nicely done!  Even more impressive that it's scratch built!  Can I ask what scale you built it in?

It’s close to 1:95 I think… I tried to look at kits you can buy and decided they were out of scale with a lot of the details on them.  I did need to buy some pieces that I couldn’t make like anchors and the maiden head, chain and dead head that I didn’t make, although I did end up making a lot of my dead heads out of doweling too. I traced the plans from the curry sark museum in England off my pc computer screen and they were about 1/95 or so. I know my masts ended up a little taller than they should be but no one will notice. It is 34-1/2 inches long and 25 inches high

• Like 2