The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Fisher F9F canopy help please

JohnB

I have a Fisher F9F-2 Panther that I had started several years ago. It's been on the shelf for 5-6 years or so. I had masked off the canopy and windscreen using Scotch tape and it has sat that way all that time. Today I decided to see about re-starting the build but the big problem right now is, after I removed the tape, there is significant stickum residue left behind on both the canopy and windscreen. Not a unexpected problem but, using my usual method of removing left over stickum by applying new strips of tape and pulling them off, which will usually pull the old stickum off, it just isn't working.  It's stuck on there and refuses to come off. I think it's due to (1) the canopy/windscreen are clear resin and (2) the original tape has been left on there for FAR too long. Can anyone recommend a solution that won't ruin the clear parts???? Any help is appreciated.

• Sad 2

I’d test it on a non-transparent part of the canopy first (like the rear portion which is painted over in GSB on the aircraft), but ordinary white-spirit is excellent to remove the glue goo from old tape. 
Whilst this would be sure to mar a polystyrene clear canopy, it may be different on the resin used for Fisher kits, hopefully PU based.

Acetone is also good, but probably far too agressive for resin. As for alcohol, I never really had any success on this type of glue, where removing the glue was more a result of the physical action of rubbing than the chemical interaction with glue residents.

HTH

Hubert

• Like 4

Tamiya lacquer thinner is cool enough to use on plastic to strip paint. I haven't tried it on resin but have done several regular canopies with no side effects. I do give them a final polish to remove the last bit of residue and then they're as good as new.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

I’d test it on a non-transparent part of the canopy first (like the rear portion which is painted over in GSB on the aircraft), but ordinary white-spirit is excellent to remove the glue goo from old tape. 
Whilst this would be sure to mar a polystyrene clear canopy, it may be different on the resin used for Fisher kits, hopefully PU based.

Acetone is also good, but probably far too agressive for resin. As for alcohol, I never really had any success on this type of glue, where removing the glue was more a result of the physical action of rubbing than the chemical interaction with glue residents.

HTH

Hubert

Thank you Hubert! :)

16 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Tamiya lacquer thinner is cool enough to use on plastic to strip paint. I haven't tried it on resin but have done several regular canopies with no side effects. I do give them a final polish to remove the last bit of residue and then they're as good as new.

Thanks Carl. I'll give that a try and cross my fingers. :)

• Like 2

Okay, here's what I did. I found that Tamiya acrylic thinner and Mr. Color 50 thinner would loosen the goo enough to where I could apply strips of Scotch tape and pull it off. (Tamiya lacquer thinner had no effect.) I applied the thinner's (I found the Mr. Color 50 did best) to Q tips and rubbed on the goo and could see it coming a little loose. Then I could put a strip of Scotch tape over that area and pull most of it off. It took a number of tries to get it all off, plus some buffing with my T-shirt, to clean it up a bit more. The do look a little opaque but not really bad. I figure a coat of Future or clear enamel will help to clear them up more. 

Thanks for the help guys!!! Very much appreciated. :)

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Wow!  Talk about being nervous about saving a part that cannot be replaced.   My Cougar canopy was the first I have ever dipped in future and could not believe the difference it made.  Although it is quite dusty here  xWFPSj.jpg

Big difference! :) That's my plan also.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice save and glad the guys came to the rescue. Looking forward to you pulling the panther off the SOD and finishing her - a classic "Iron Works Gang" aircraft. 

Some helpful folks here for sure. :) I hadn't intended to resume work on the Panther when I pulled off the SOD but, since we got the canopy problem sorted out, I guess I'll stay with it. Next is addressing the slightly warped vertical tail. 😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Still confused about John having a SOD. He builds so fast, he’s a machine.  Good to see some human in him! 
id never attempt at playing chess with him.  But then again, it’s been so long I forgot how to play. 

LOL Scott. :)

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

I'm with Scott. I've tried straightening some warps on my Sea Fury and thank goodness Paul replaced the parts, as I couldn't do it. Hope you're a lot more successful.

Waiting for a build thread, so I can see how you are doing

Build thread coming soon Peter.

• Like 2

I had some seriously stuck on tape residue on my CF-104 so had to use Tamiya X20A thinner to get it off. It's pulled off a bunch of the paint too so some touch ups are going to be needed. 

Thanks for trying that on your canopy and giving me the info I needed to fix my build.

Carl

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I had some seriously stuck on tape residue on my CF-104 so had to use Tamiya X20A thinner to get it off. It's pulled off a bunch of the paint too so some touch ups are going to be needed. 

Thanks for trying that on your canopy and giving me the info I needed to fix my build.

Carl

I'm glad it was a help Carl. I should have known better than to leave that Scotch tape on there but I'm glad to have gotten it cleaned up. :)

• Like 1