The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Has anyone built the SH Heinkel He 100D-1 "Propaganda Jäger He 113"?

CANicoll

I considered picking this up a month or so ago as it looks like a cool, not often modeled subject.  But, I'm in the middle of a SH 1/48 Brewster kit, and the fit issues are such that I don't know that I have it in me to do too many more of these - took me forever to get to the point of filling and priming!  I do have a 1/32 Buffalo on the shelf as well, hope it's a little easier to put together.

• Like 2

I have done there Yak wheels wells seem to be a beotch in SH kits but this one looks simple by the trees.The rest of the fit of the Yak was good and 1/32 also.I got the Quinta's for the copit but wonder if even available for this one?I would give it a shot at $35 for a 1/32 if you don't grab let me know.;)

As much as I would love to build a unique subject like the He-100, I just can't see spending nearly $50 (with shipping - the kit is $30 with discount) on such a simple kit.  I like detailed cockpits and I just don't see a lot there to work with.  Oh well!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CANicoll said:

As much as I would love to build a unique subject like the He-100, I just can't see spending nearly $50 (with shipping - the kit is $30 with discount) on such a simple kit.  I like detailed cockpits and I just don't see a lot there to work with.  Oh well!

You would basically have to do your own entire cockpit build.  Rick Kranius was doing one here IIRC.  And I;m sure there would have been at least one over at TOS.

• Like 2

The biggest problem with the build is the lack of detail photos.  I think there are only one or two cockpit photos.   

I think it was a cool looking plane.  But it was small.  Small wings meaning high wing loading.  Meaning lower maneuverability and higher landing speeds...   Two things that fighter jocks reportedly hated. 

I believe arming it to tackle bombers would have been problematic.  And I don't believe it would have been the answer to the USAAF bomber streams and throngs of fighters.  It would have suffered the same problem as the 109 that wasn't rectified until the arrival of the G6/AS:  A need for better high-altitude performance.

What would have made the difference would have been doubling the size of the Jagdwaffe before 1943 while the USAAF bomber offensive was still small.  Some Luftwaffe leaders realized this...   but by then it was too late. 

These reasons kinda take away the "What-if" prospects for me. 

• Like 2

1) It’s the only He-100 kit in 1/32. This alone makes it worth it, if you want to build a He-100 kit.

2) Given the lack of pics (I know of only one of the IP and port side of the cockpit) as outlined by Gary, you can go to town on detailing the cockpit to your liking …

Hubert

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

There were very few He-100’s built, I recall.   If I remember right, it had evaporative cooling in the wing skins, which made it a fine racer, but an unworkable warplane.  One single .22 caliber bullet, or even a pellet gun to the wing skins would put the thing out of service.   Not exactly what I would call smart thinking.  But as a go-fast airplane, it was something else. 

There is literally NO information on the cockpit layout whatsoever. Nothing, nada, zilch. So anything you do, within reason, is quite acceptable. 

As far as SH kits go, I much prefer them in 1/32 compared to 1/48.  Much more room to maneuver and work on it.  In deciding if I want to build a SH kit, I simply tape the airframe together first. If it fits nicely, I proceed. If the main parts don’t fit, I pass until I’m in that frame of mind. Interior parts can be engineered to fit a great fitting airframe (think Helldiver), but having to fix the big stuff before even looking at the details just plain sux. 

• Like 6

The important detail on the IP is on the left (the rectangular shaped indicators).

They were the warning lights for the overheating of the evaporative cooling system. If red, the message was « Slow down immediately and land asap ».

Udet ignored those lights during his successful world speed record run. He told afterwards he had not been briefed about their significance …

I had the kit with the idea of converting it to the speed-record V8. Then changed my mind and resold it: too much work creating a new wing and, mostly, the dreaded swastika when finished (what was I thinking when I bought the kit ? Can I pretend, like Udet, I did not know it was adorned with a swastika and I did not know what it meant 😕 ?)

To finish on the kit’s cockpit, it’s basic but a good representation of the original, as far as it’s known.

Hubert

• Like 3