Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

A different kind of build thread …

Artful69

On 5/29/2024 at 9:47 PM, Artful69 said:

The portable toilet (also referred to as the "site shitter" or "dunny") along with the portable tool shed (which at this point houses the shrink-wrapped pallet of cement and lime bags.

Rog :)

We call them "porta-potties" or "honey buckets" here! 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

We’ve got some chickens in the Charleston area that have come home to roost here of late.  Seems that all the shoddy construction and planning has caught up and lawsuits are starting to fly. 
AC systems that barely keep the house at or below 80 degrees during the hot summer and then Tropical storm Debby came through last week and houses are getting flooded due to improper drainage built into the infrastructure when they were laying out the neighborhood.  
We’re talking hundreds of houses due to the real estate explosion in the area over the past 5 years.  
What’s even more amazing is these builders already had a bad reputation but people still bought.  

Oh, and Rog, better call the police to keep an eye on the place.  There’s a suspicious character snooping around.  
IMG_2291.thumb.jpeg.726f996af0b8b0052be2b5db748c6d49.jpeg

It seems that dodgy building happens everywhere! ... 

It really pays to engage a builder with a long term reputation of doing things right ... Having satisfied customers etc etc.

Back when I was a kid, building was really very simple - Slab, Bricks, Windows, Plaster, Ceilings, Plumbing, Electrical and Cabinets. No Flooring (except rudimentary wet area tiling), Window dressing, Insulation, Aircon, Storm water removal, Telephone connection ... that was all your responsibility for after you moved in. It wasn't until much later that we started getting more 'inclusive' packages and now there are a LOT of trades to be engaged before housing is complete - Plus, of course, the old book of building standards has become a labyrinth resembling the old set of Encyclopaedia Britannica!

Building has become a minefield ... so no wonder they're all so skittish!Yes ... I saw the 'photo bomb' when I got back home and started looking through the photos ... but it was the only picture of the front door that I had, so I thought 'F*@# it!' 😆

• Like 2

4 hours ago, biggtim said:

We call them "porta-potties" or "honey buckets" here! 😆

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Portajohns or Johnny-on-the-spot here. 

27 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

I’ve got an old friend that had done very well in life renting out porta-John’s.  Funny thing is, his name is John as well.  

If you guys fancy a laugh ...

In 2006, one of our comedians here made a 'mocumentary' in the great Australian tradition of taking the p&%$

• Haha 3

After another glorious 2 weeks of night shift ... I returned home on Wednesday.

On the Monday, the builder sent me an email advising that the 'Ceilings' milestone had been completed - which also includes walls and cornice work ... and maybe any other number of activities before 'Lock up' (another milestone) is achieved.

As I was drifting off to sleep on Wednesday afternoon (having been awake since about 4.30pm the day before!) an email arrives advising me that 'Lock Up' has been achieved ... Yay! - We're moving along ... but also Bummer! - I wanted to be able to do a walk through before lock up.

I sent an email to the builders liaison asking for access but was given a negative response ... 

So ... Yesterday (Thursday), I headed down to the block, hopeful that I might be able to provide updates regardless.

The first thing I noticed on arrival was the door installed to the garage laundry entry.

Screenshot75-15August2024.thumb.jpg.6d9134a6610a1def4b3d24345255c8b8.jpg

Of course, a closer inspection shows the ceiling installed in the garage also :)

Screenshot76-15August2024.thumb.jpg.8e27b8414649bb62553da5645099ef3d.jpg

Screenshot77-15August2024.thumb.jpg.4f627e9fb23e0129df84dbd2c4a61452.jpg

I might not be able to take a walk through the house ... but I have glass entry doors and windows! So I figured I'd take what photos I could from a walk around it ... Surprisingly, the reveals were better than I thought!

From the laundry door ... The only disappointment here was that - no matter my viewing location, I can't see the shelving installed to the WIL (Walk In Linen) area off to the left hand side up the walkway there

Screenshot78-15August2024.thumb.jpg.606ad7229f8c7bad4116291c87d3f3fd.jpg

From the kitchen window ... Well, I hate the window, but it's good for something at least! ...

Screenshot80-15August2024.thumb.jpg.ee4bda5d1d7d408d84be50dcd893d47b.jpg

A walk around the corner ... and a couple of shots from the sliding door into the alfresco area ...

Screenshot81-15August2024.thumb.jpg.e4e41fd3a85bd2cfeb011ad9db40697f.jpg

Screenshot79-15August2024.thumb.jpg.84fb52d0ee7cdc0e800c23fe32542b51.jpg

From the Home Theatre window ...

Screenshot82-15August2024.thumb.jpg.40c919f62d85cb945a0a8431f900c433.jpg

Round the corner again to the rearmost bedroom window ... and this is where I noticed that some doors were installed ... some paintwork applied to the doors and the ceilings! ... and the Della-Vita cabinetry has been installed to the bedroom robe.

Screenshot83-15August2024.thumb.jpg.ba5733e21fcf6f0015f583e728f79b71.jpg

Also ... about this time I noticed that all the windows had been locked open ... probably to allow airflow for drying any remaining damp areas and the paintwork.

So I carefully poked the phone into the rear bathroom area to take a snap of that - because the window is opaque.

Screenshot84-15August2024.thumb.jpg.bca8b7ffaf112cce87401c659d8a7e06.jpg

The next bedroom ... which will be mainly used as storage for the stash once painted 😉

Screenshot85-15August2024.thumb.jpg.cbe90c43ef0f713bcf856a62b6998ea8.jpg

The Master bedroom looking toward the ensuite (right) and the corridor (left) with the WIRs (Walk In Robes).

Screenshot86-15August2024.thumb.jpg.6bff538541af3464195ce44daf10bca0.jpg

Looking directly at the WIRs and corridor to the main entry. I assume the painted door is for the ensuite toilet.

Screenshot87-15August2024.thumb.jpg.586080c7ca278806fabef571a6cd405b.jpg

A view from the ensuite window - which is situated from above where the bath will be installed ... showing the pipework for the double vanity on the opposite wall and the shower recess off to the right.

Screenshot88-15August2024.thumb.jpg.71bd8387d8debc2a0098b765a0f4dfc1.jpg

Now that I've noticed the paintwork on the inside ... it becomes apparent that paint has been applied outside also to the eves, verandah (including posts) and alfresco areas

Screenshot90-15August2024.thumb.jpg.541a87c35402341cc8a6c883cc4030e0.jpg

Screenshot89-15August2024.thumb.jpg.a865a92624d431ebe768a183bfdb4635.jpg

That's all for now ... on the works update front.

I have been advised of the next set of scheduled tasks ... to be completed between now (mid August) and the end of September.

• Plumbing Fittings
  • Painting (Ceilings)
  • Cabinet Delivery
  • Cabinet install
  • Garage concrete
  • Tile material delivery
  • Tiler prep
  • Shower Waterproofing
  • Tiler works (Tile Laying) – mid to end of September
  • Acrylic render (colour coat)

Apparently, once the tiler commences works, there is a 12 week expectation before the house is ready for handover.

According to their scheduling I should, therefore, receive keys by early to mid December.

There will be some works that need to be completed before moving in a painted bathroom, laundry and maybe the kitchen ... but everything else should be ok to start once inside!

• Like 4

Looking good. Interesting to see that the plasterboard is installed horizontally. Over here the sheets are oriented vertically, hence the standard 8 foot ceiling height in new builds.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Artful69 said:

I have been advised of the next set of scheduled tasks ... to be completed between now (mid August) and the end of September.

• Plumbing Fittings
  • Painting (Ceilings)
  • Cabinet Delivery
  • Cabinet install
  • Garage concrete
  • Tile material delivery
  • Tiler prep
  • Shower Waterproofing
  • Tiler works (Tile Laying) – mid to end of September
  • Acrylic render (colour coat)

Apparently, once the tiler commences works, there is a 12 week expectation before the house is ready for handover.

According to their scheduling I should, therefore, receive keys by early to mid December.

There will be some works that need to be completed before moving in a painted bathroom, laundry and maybe the kitchen ... but everything else should be ok to start once inside!

No electrics is Aus ?

UK -  you'd normally see 1st fit electrics poking through the plasterboard at the point where you're at now . The plasterer's work around the back boxes so you're not endlessly guessing where the wires are. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

No electrics is Aus ?

UK -  you'd normally see 1st fit electrics poking through the plasterboard at the point where you're at now . The plasterer's work around the back boxes so you're not endlessly guessing where the wires are. 

I don't know if you've seen the previous posts? All piping (gas and water) as well as cabling (electrical and communications) was installed after the timber fame was installed to the roof as most of it runs through the roof and is attached to various roof timbers. Then the 'chasing' is completed (cuts into the walls) to install the cables or pipes to where various switches and outlets need to be located.

If you compare those previous photos to the ones posted here now, you can see where the cables are installed. Bear in mind that the house is in 'lock up' stage so as I explained in the post, all photos were taken from the outside, looking inward. Even so, I can see the holes in the plasterboard where the wires and piping are located, without enlarging the photos at all. There's even the extra length of wire for the 900mm dual fuel stove and the island bench poking through wall and floor in the kitchen area.

When the electrician comes to complete fittings (which will be after the floor tiles, I would imagine) ... They will cut out whatever plasterboard is needed to fit the lights in the ceiling and around the current holes in the walls to fit the switches etc.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, GusMac said:

Looking good. Interesting to see that the plasterboard is installed horizontally. Over here the sheets are oriented vertically, hence the standard 8 foot ceiling height in new builds.

Yes! ... If you look at the previous set of photos with the wrapped up stuff stored in the garage - the sheets are 6m long! ... I guess there aren't too many rooms or other unbroken up walls in a house these days that are longer than 6m. Here, there are a lot of houses built now with 'high' ceilings. The idea is to make the internal space look larger. Personally, I would rather just open up the space ... which I think I have done, with the possible exception of the WIR area entering the master bedroom.

With plenty of variation in ceiling height, I'm guessing it would be easier to score and break longer sections of plasterboard?

• Like 2

Oops, didn't catch that one. 6m sheets seems like a nightmare for handling but less joins to cover I suppose.

Funny about the ceiling height as over here the trend has been towards lower ceilings - my parents house is 120 years old and has 13 foot ceilings whereas ours is 20 years old and has 8 foot ceilings as it's just considered to be another 5 foot of dead space that you have to heat. Probably not such an issue in your climate... 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

I don't know if you've seen the previous posts? All piping (gas and water) as well as cabling (electrical and communications) was installed after the timber fame was installed to the roof as most of it runs through the roof and is attached to various roof timbers. Then the 'chasing' is completed (cuts into the walls) to install the cables or pipes to where various switches and outlets need to be located.

If you compare those previous photos to the ones posted here now, you can see where the cables are installed. Bear in mind that the house is in 'lock up' stage so as I explained in the post, all photos were taken from the outside, looking inward. Even so, I can see the holes in the plasterboard where the wires and piping are located, without enlarging the photos at all. There's even the extra length of wire for the 900mm dual fuel stove and the island bench poking through wall and floor in the kitchen area.

When the electrician comes to complete fittings (which will be after the floor tiles, I would imagine) ... They will cut out whatever plasterboard is needed to fit the lights in the ceiling and around the current holes in the walls to fit the switches etc.

Calm down - I'm a qualified spark in the UK so have been -  there done that . 

Looking at your pix I can see the water pipes sticking out , just couldn't see any wires or back boxes per se .  Observing it would look different in the UK...and clearly it is .....a similar UK site you'd see the wires hanging out .  Maybe the heirachy of the trades , sparks get paid more than drywallers/plasterers , so drywallers have to do the mucking about . Gas fitters get more than everyone

Not suggesting Aus has yet to get over the novelty of "wall gas"  at all. 🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

Calm down - I'm a qualified spark in the UK so have been -  there done that . 

Looking at your pix I can see the water pipes sticking out , just couldn't see any wires or back boxes per se .  Observing it would look different in the UK...and clearly it is .....a similar UK site you'd see the wires hanging out .  Maybe the heirachy of the trades , sparks get paid more than drywallers/plasterers , so drywallers have to do the mucking about . Gas fitters get more than everyone

Not suggesting Aus has yet to get over the novelty of "wall gas"  at all. 🤣

Calm down? ... 🤨

No need for me to calm down as I'm not at all concerned. You suggested there were no electrics - and ... as I can clearly see where they are, I just pointed out where they are visible in previous posts, so that you can see them also - if looking for where they were previously situated before the plasterboard went up it makes it easier to locate (since I don't have any close ups this time around - the holes are a little more difficult to see unless a cable is poking out) ... that was all.

I'm quite sure that the builder - and the trades - know exactly what they are doing ... even if I don't!

38 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Oops, didn't catch that one. 6m sheets seems like a nightmare for handling but less joins to cover I suppose.

Funny about the ceiling height as over here the trend has been towards lower ceilings - my parents house is 120 years old and has 13 foot ceilings whereas ours is 20 years old and has 8 foot ceilings as it's just considered to be another 5 foot of dead space that you have to heat. Probably not such an issue in your climate... 😁

Back in the day ... when real trades built real houses here (I lived in one that was built in 1901) ... we had 14ft high, pressed tin ceilings.

The stair balustrade in the place I was staying was made from an 8in wide hand carved and curved jarrah beam with seamless joins resting on 6in x 6in posts. The rooms were huge ... you could have played tennis in the main living room upstairs. Small bed rooms were 4m x 4m etc etc ...

The trend with high ceilings continued through the early 60's here, until more modern housing (concrete slab floor) came into vogue. I think 8ft (approx) was the standard until the last couple of decades and now it's all over the place!

I say 'about' 8ft because we generally discuss residential wall height here in terms of brick courses ... I think the norm is 31c? ... with high ceilings coming in at 33c ... I'll need to check. On my spec I was offered 'high ceilings' as part of the package but I swapped it over to just high ceilings in the garage instead.

• Like 2

It's great to the progress in the building of your house Rog. Also neat to see the differences in how it's done. compared to Canada. 

As for ceiling height, a higher ceiling is considered an upgrade. For condos here, 8 ft is the norm, but our last two had 10 and 9 ft ones respectively. They do help make a smaller space look bigger. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Back in the day ... when real trades built real houses here (I lived in one that was built in 1901) ... we had 14ft high, pressed tin ceilings.

The stair balustrade in the place I was staying was made from an 8in wide hand carved and curved jarrah beam with seamless joins resting on 6in x 6in posts. The rooms were huge ... you could have played tennis in the main living room upstairs. Small bed rooms were 4m x 4m etc etc ...

The trend with high ceilings continued through the early 60's here, until more modern housing (concrete slab floor) came into vogue. I think 8ft (approx) was the standard until the last couple of decades and now it's all over the place!

I say 'about' 8ft because we generally discuss residential wall height here in terms of brick courses ... I think the norm is 31c? ... with high ceilings coming in at 33c ... I'll need to check. On my spec I was offered 'high ceilings' as part of the package but I swapped it over to just high ceilings in the garage instead.

I do love a good balustrade. Our last house had a beautiful pitch pine one and it was the only thing I was really sad to leave behind when we got our current house built.

I flew back to work on Wednesday ... and was advised that cabinetry had been delivered ... today, I'm getting photos of assembled stuff!

The rear bathroom ...

BA1.thumb.jpg.8d7cbf1d354e4c82a6d9402450ef905b.jpg

BA2.thumb.jpg.f1ec170af85702d9eb23ded0f2e06fc0.jpg

Proper pics of the rear bedrooms ...

BE1.thumb.jpg.83d831a959d273a87c1d45fac1a5b3e0.jpg

BE2.thumb.jpg.cd47597c5878fca37b1e377595494142.jpg

The Laundry ... With a sneak peak at the WIL (Walk In Linen)

L1.thumb.jpg.0ae785a972c31b4f260ebc397d17aea3.jpg

L2.thumb.jpg.2de9c7266add0b640c4d8fca040617e5.jpg

A look in at one of the WIRs (Walk In Robes)

WIR1.thumb.jpg.7f92fd0c7fe3621f11a5df3a9eebdc2f.jpg

... and Ensuite cabinetry ...

E1.thumb.jpg.538e4b7008f546c8ed1dd90aff57a860.jpg

E2.thumb.jpg.c3e7fd6df0c7f83c46e25b1f0c2ba0ab.jpg

And finally the Kitchen ...

K1.thumb.jpg.95e1bbef3e6468e93eecf699485be5c4.jpg

K2.thumb.jpg.485d8c2e3d907c97c4afc57cbbbd91bb.jpg

K3.thumb.jpg.16953cd5a776dd8a7c602172cb44f60b.jpg

K4.thumb.jpg.91b0adecc69935fe5b12927d171d5207.jpg

K5.thumb.jpg.93827bdf8dbdd9b11a589115637b85c6.jpg

They aren't mucking about!

• Like 3

Rog, thanks for the pictures - the progress is awesome!  Question, where do the HVAC ducts appear?  (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning)

Can't wait to see the flooring in.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 9:55 PM, KevinM said:

Rog all is looking good I bet the big day is highly anticipated ;)

Well ... Once "Hand Over" happens, there's a few jobs I want taken care of before I move in! ... But yes - It will be nice to have my own place again!

13 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

What is a Walk In Robe?  Like a dressing room?  Walk in closet big enough to get dressed in?  Not familiar with that terminology in the states. 

Simply put - while a "robe" or wardrobe is a piece of furniture ... a "built-in robe" is a robe that is part of the building (you can see these in the two rear rooms - sans robe rails and sliding doors). A WIR is step further - a built in robe with dimensions deep enough for you to step into to. Most master bedrooms have them in the build designs here, these days.

8 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Rog, thanks for the pictures - the progress is awesome!  Question, where do the HVAC ducts appear?  (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning)

Can't wait to see the flooring in.

Aircon is not traditionally included in builders specifications here ... in fact not too many "finishings" are!

In recent years "Inclusions" have become a distinguishing factor between builders competing for market share in a market demanding value for money!

Although my build does include ducted, reverse-cycle air-conditioning ... it is supplied and fitted by a 3rd party contracted by the builder (as so many other things are) ... The system will be fitted during the final 12 weeks of the build. Actually you've reminded me - I need to contact the installer about layout! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Cool.  We just refer to them as walk in closets here.  Nothing to distinguish differences in sizes.  Y’all’s system actually makes more sense.  

As do most things Aussie!

• 2 weeks later...

I arrived back home in Perth yesterday ... to a miserable day ... we're supposed to be in spring here now and indeed there are wildflowers everywhere, but yesterday was cold and wet and windy ... Still, I was excited to get down to the block and see if any progress had been made ... The first thing I notice is that the fence framing is installed on either side now ...

Screenshot105-4September2024.thumb.jpg.f78fb63d5796b7501485c2a2bdbbe636.jpg

Screenshot106-4September2024.thumb.jpg.0adc957cdccc7066d8c828f7864cf4b1.jpg

... and a quick walk around the perimeter shows that the storm water drainage is now lining up with the downpipes ...

Screenshot107-4September2024.thumb.jpg.32247f97bcc1f8166d43dbdb9507d890.jpg

Screenshot108-4September2024.thumb.jpg.797b9ca5ee6f9ad7193e808bddb1b576.jpg

Screenshot109-4September2024.thumb.jpg.80040cfb71100147a1c359a034d586f6.jpg

A quick look into the study room from the veranda shows that Tiles and grout have been delivered ...

Screenshot110-4September2024.thumb.jpg.686c0064f63336bc8443dec1f1258f35.jpg

A look through the windows shows that wet areas have leveller applied and some sealant ready for tile application.

Screenshot111-4September2024.thumb.jpg.fcdbdb4169a869d43ec1b49d8d82fe70.jpg

Screenshot112-4September2024.thumb.jpg.a3b317242cbe6a485aa1d8e252a72709.jpg

• Like 2