Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Advice on NMF

GusMac

Hi fellas

I'm working on the Trumpy P-47D as my first 'proper' attempt at a NMF. Previous effort was my first build back to the hobby and was done with rattlecan AS-12.

Anyway, I've just primed it with MS1500 in grey as it's my go to primer. Metals are going to be AK Extreme Metals and I'm planning on using their gloss black base as the next coat. I'm using masks for all the main markings and my inclination is to apply these now and mask them off before I apply the black base to avoid masking over the metals.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice on this plan? 

• Like 4

Like Peter said, I think you've got the right approach. I did the same thing on my recent CF-104 and painted as much as I could prior to the black base and NMF. 

I used the Xtreme Metal black base. I found it took a little longer to dry relative to my usual paints. I also had issues with Xtreme Metal's Polished Aluminium in that it didn't dry and I could wipe it off. My understanding is that it was a defective bottle of paint. I switched to Alclad Polished Aluminium and didn't have that problem. 

Carl

PXL_20220927_185126362.thumb.jpg.b0bb3a4fcac1a621e37d906607119519.jpg

PXL_20220927_191527196.thumb.jpg.60b103585c78944cd0e3f595af53ab8c.jpg

PXL_20221023_210825916.thumb.jpg.12c938cb8932fa677e1cd6ae75394963.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Peter and Carl, reassuring to know I'm thinking along the right lines, although I doubt my execution will be quite as perfect as your CF-104.

I wasn't planning on using polished aluminium as I don't think a wartime airframe would have been that shiny but I'll keep an eye out.

• Like 3

As much as I like AK's Extreme Metals, I really dislike their black primer. I tried it on two occasions and it never dried properly and stayed sticky even after days, never again :censored:.
You have a primer coat applied, why not base coating with Tamiya's gloss black lacquer paint. It has a high gloss surface and dries quickly and should serve well under the Extreme Metals.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Thanks Rob, I'll try the black primer on the paint mule first and see how it goes. I've never tried the Tamiya lacquers, are they particularly smelly or not too bad?

They do smell, you have to thin them heavily. I use Mr. Levelling thinner with a ratio of up to 2/3 thinner 1/3 color. So well thinned it goes down ultra glossy and sprays perfectly.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post some pictures tomorrow but I've just put the Tamiya lacquer black on the P47 and I'm mighty impressed. Thins very nicely and sprays beautifully, also dries rock hard very quickly. Does smell a bit but I can put up with that for these results. I foresee more spending .....

• Like 3

For what it's worth I usually prime the model with Testor's flat white or light gray. I use them as a alternate to Alclad Gray Primer and Micro Filler at times as I've had some peel off problems with the Alclad sometimes. After you apply the primer and letting it dry thoroughly it's usually safe to start spraying your NMF (I use Alclad aluminum and dark aluminum usually). Be sure and give the coats plenty of drying time between applications. I usually wait a couple of hours which works fine. This is a KISS method but it works for me and I hope you get something from it. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've found that Humbrol metal coat 27002 polished aluminum is almost bullet proof when applied over gloss black and it looks great. Dead easy to airbrush and very forgiving if you make a mistake.

• Like 4

Thanks all. I've got the base Extreme Metals aluminium down now (will post some pics soon) and will do some odd panels in dark aluminium and duralumin just to provide some variation. My question now is how best to weather this? My normal approach would be a gloss coat (Tamiya X22) then enamel based panel line wash but that strikes me as being a bit stark on a NMF. Any suggestions??

• Like 2