The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

MC.205 „Veltro” 1:48 Hasegawa

Kriss

On the workshop landed such a small and quick project Mc.205 "Veltro" from Hasegawa in 1:48. The model almost straight out of the box, the rest will come out during construction. As the model has its years this is the start of its construction. Another Italian but in JG77 camouflage.

Z1DXbWp.jpg

JJrLwea.jpg

• Like 6

I enriched the interior of the cabin with some small details made by myself, as well as the pilot's belts. These accouterments are from the Eduard kit.

6KOEqHU.jpg

fhzJMDd.jpg

uHCuNQS.jpg

I made the masks for the cabin glazing using Tamiya tape, and there are also masks on the inside. The cabin will be open.

GvPGmST.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So the painting continues and there is a beautiful Italian camouflage left to do. I was already doing free-hand so I decided to change things up and used masks to paint the smoke clouds. Just out of curiosity how they would come out. I hesitated whether it was worth it and acquired such a kit from LF Models dedicated to Macchi MC.205Veltro Camouflage Painting Mask Model: M4811. And this is how it looks, we will see how it fits and how the camouflage will come out.

oiWeOVQ.jpg

MBXsy03.jpg

mLhPzga.jpg

fk1xEX0.jpg

• Like 4

I'm really interested in how that mask set will work out. I have a Hasegawa 1/48 MC202 in the stash and I was straining my poor brain on how to paint the smoke ring scheme without spending weeks on training freehand airbrushing :wallbash:. I know there's a decal set too, but it sounds like cheating...:unsure:... to me, at least.

• Like 2

What should I write? The pictures show everything. The mask great but , well there is just a small but because it does not hold the scale. It's bigger than the model, I've been fiddling a bit with how to apply it and the best option is to cut the masks from the fuselage into several parts and apply them that way. I did so and the effect is below. An interesting addition.

h5FcP23.jpg

Lf4u328.jpg

• Like 5

Camouflage painting with masks completed, as it came out you can see in the photos. I, for one, am not entirely satisfied with the result obtained, and how do you see it? Hand-painted they come out very realistic, but it is also time-consuming to apply such camouflage.

ufkAOch.jpg

vQMwM8E.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Kriss, just a thought. They look very good on the horizontal surfaces but appear less convincing on the angled surfaces such as the spine. Hard to say if it's better than you could produce free-hand

• Like 2

Kriss, the camouflage looks convincing.

I don't think it could be better if freehand painted unless you are a real Raffaello (no, not the Turtle ;)) and yes, the masks do appear to be slightly overscaled.

I tried to train my hand on freehand brush painting at 1/72 scale on a "mule" MC202 with the (fill in the blank :huh:) _________ results you can see in the picture.

IMG_6089.thumb.JPG.0e9f7632c4a1d15ea788207674e70114.JPG

Maybe 1/32 is more suitable for a free hand airbrush attempt to that camo scheme.

Andrea

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Another model completed, so it's time to start another model. After the camouflage painting masks, this is the effect I expected. And I am not satisfied with the result obtained. There was a moment when I even felt like repainting it. And instead of wasting time repainting it, the "Veltro" stays as it is and I will make myself a "Folgore" in camouflage with smoke clouds painted by hand. Coming back to the model, the masks are "some" alternative it is a pity that the manufacturer scaled them down. They are simply too big and, in addition, have to be properly cut out taking into account the wings and stabilisers.  But coming back the MC.205 "Veltro" is completed and depicts the machine used by II./JG 77, Luftwaffe, 1943.

VzmPQyF.jpg

Yhbc8FO.jpg

al49ihN.jpg

8mLm2k8.jpg

cmg3zCw.jpg

UtE3oN8.jpg

YYARgyS.jpg

LRzMaec.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I like the result Kriss, even if the camo is a bit overscale. You could try Gundam Markers for this type of camo. I never used them, but did a delicate paintjob on an Italian Lancia's camo with normal markers. The result was ok, albeit the Marker was a bit oily and shiny, but with a matte coat, that was gone.
I tried another technique before, which completely failed, airbrushing first the squiggle color, black in my case and used masking markers and masking fluid applied with a brush for masking the squiggles. The plan was to apply the base color after that and then rub off the liquid mask. The results were terrible with five different masking fluids.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3