The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

39” 1/128 Seaview and Flying Sub

On 1/17/2023 at 3:01 AM, ScottsGT said:

Might need to make a thinner mix.  Hmm, I wonder if I could apply with a syringe and an 18 ga. needle? 

No!  No!  No!  Don't do it.  If you make it thin, it will stay unstable for a long time.  I will look great once sand it.  But by the time you paint it, the surface will sink in.  I filled in the panel lines of a model with thinned sprue goo.  When it came weathering time, there were broad, irregular, shallow depressions running the length of each panel line I filled.

My preferred method for filling big holes is to run medium to thick CA around the hole and sprinkle it with baking soda.  Keep squirting and sprinkling until it is filled enough to sand.  Don't let it sit overnight...   because once that CA is fully hardened...   it's much harder than the plastic.  Try to start sanding and shaping as soon as it is dry to the touch.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Interior is about done.  I have two more standing figures to add, but I decided since they were exactly the same positions, I modified their one arm so they can look like they are having a conversation over the map table.  Ever try repositioning a tiny 1/128 figure?  
I did keep the interior theme in line with 1960’s TV filming set decorating and not “dark and worn and cluttered” like newer syfi stuff is done. 
HHUW5D.jpg

GF2DI8.jpg

9DIzXb.jpg

Speaking of ‘60’s-70’s theme, all the guys sitting have their hair parted in the middle. 

EDIT:  Wow, looking at these pics enlarged on my iPad for the first time, I see a few details I need to try and go back and touch up.  Man, stuff this tiny does have its challenges. 

• Like 12

Oh man, I’m at the “What comes first? The chicken or the egg” moment.  Ready to button it up, but got to get all wiring done and checked first and figure out how to get power up to it and back down to the flying sub without making it look like it’s wired like a marionette puppet.  

W6sZTk.jpg

ggrSe3.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

And I’m out of heat shrink.  :wallbash:  Well, probably mis-placed it.  But looked in all the usual suspect stash locations. Found all my bigger stuff.  No small stuff. 
An hour round trip to Harbor Freight and back or screw it and order it off Amazon?  :hsmack:

• Like 5

I’m at a loss.  What I’m thinking of doing is building a rock formation that’s just past mid-way of the length of the sub and have a short jumper over and down to it. 
Stumbling blocks like this is why some of my kits wind up on the SOD. 

• Like 5

Very productive day today!  I actually wanted to be here this past Friday, but I had forgotten about the family trip the wife planned to take the kids that could make it and the two grand babies to the mountains to go tubing.  No, don’t even ask.  I did not do it with all my back and knee issues.  

Oh boy! Spaghetti anyone?  Sorting out all the wiring and testing before soldering and heat shrink on everything.

JGjmUH.jpg

A little test lighting before sealing it all up

ak13nJ.jpg

79Hguu.jpg

Buttoned up and no turning back on the electronics now! Yes, I did take some time to put away a few tools to reduce the clutter.  

xSjeun.jpg

Even managed to pull the table saw outside after the rain cleared up and got my base started.  I still have all 10 fingers  

Mc60g4.jpg

Got to go get new tires on the Mustang in the morning.  I’ll probably swing into Home Depression or Slowe’s and pick up some trim for the edges. 

• Like 11

Scott, this is such a fascinating build.  Every step of the way is pretty cool - and I'm really digging the lighting and how you can really see the interior.  And 1/128 scale figures??  Wow.  Fun to watch!

Neat progress!

We have a full woodshop here where I live - really enjoying the woodworking too.  The CNC machine is REALLY neat! 

• Like 4

FWIW, I made the “announcement” to the wife the other night on how I plan to rearrange a few things in the basement to accommodate this behemoth display when it is done.  Cannot believe she actually encouraged me to start the wiring project ASAP so I can move things around to make room.  I guess after I did her countertop mod she’s feeling that it’s my turn now. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The lighting looks great. Really shows off the interior details. 

Glad to hear the table saw session worked out safely.  I was using mine at work last week. Had to cut down a bunch of plywood. To make 60 shelves for our new location. Like you, I still have all my digits. 

• Like 4

My wife has seen more table saw vs. woodworker patients than I care to think about.  They all have one thing in common.  The tool won.  
I’m on edge when using any power tool, and I’ve got some dangerous ones too!  Pissed my wife off one time by yelling at her after she hollered at me to get my attention for no reason while running something through the table saw.  Impatient and wanted me to stop what I was doing to ask a stupid question.  I reminded her of all of her patients and asked if she was trying to run up the score. 

• Like 5

With several medical professionals in the family, I get reminded of that all the time. My father-in-law won't touch power tools as he knows he doesn't have the skill to safely use one and he's seen the results too many times (retired pathologist) of those who weren't careful. 

I learned to use a table saw in grade 3 as part of a school class. Can't believe they let kids that young loose in a fully equipped woodworking shop. The teacher was ok but the one I had the following year was really great. Showed us how to not only use the tools but how to respect them. 

Check out the Sawstop table saws. Those are impressive but a bit pricy. But they will save your fingers. 

• Like 2

I told my wife that if I find myself getting forgetful and doing stupid stuff as I get older, I will be getting a contractor size Sawstop.  It’s all I have room for.  All my woodworking tools are benchtop designs except my floor standing vintage drill press and my 14” Jet bandsaw. 

And back to regularly scheduled programming…….

This stupid panel took an hour to make it fit properly. It was a hair too wide and sat too high.  Had to keep sanding the bottom off it to make it match the top of the hull.  
2ymXIL.jpg

That one is actually the other panel for the 17’ filming model.  Since I’m building the 8’ model, it has less missile holes.

DK2W5v.jpg

• Like 8

Back to the woodworking. Putting in the blocking where the acrylic rods will be anchored.  
So, how do you like my “build cart”?  LOL!  I’ve decided this diorama is going to be so big I can’t do it on the bench.  Using a Harbor Freight furniture dolly and I stapled the box down to it.  

WfsotB.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1