The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

39” 1/128 Seaview and Flying Sub

33 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Scott

This is really the first time I can appreciate actually how big the Seaview actually is. Incredible work - both on the sub and display base.

Yea, once I got started I realized I’ve got to do some remodeling in the basement to make room for it. :rofl:Of course we all understand the “Domino Effect” that comes with it.  :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man….

If any of y’all ever decide to take on a huge model like this or say that big B-36 Ernie is working on, make sure your meds are in check and your liquor cabinet is stocked.  
Just taping up the sub bay and the bottom flood lights is an exercise in swinging this thing around from one side of the bench to the other.  
Look out work light! Here it comes again!  
Im now at that fiddly stage of checking every seam and making sure it’s filled all the way, block sanding all the hull seams to make sure they’re flat and straight and finding minor errors.  I need a nap!  I’m getting grumpy. 

image.thumb.jpg.01dbe6c4d498abde0302d066360dea2b.jpg

• Like 10

I’ll add a little tip that might come in handy for y’all.  I wanted to make damned sure I didn’t get dust up inside the model through the open bay on the bottom.  
Each time I do some sanding of filler or primer I’ve been using my small Milwaukee M18 portable vacuum to get the dust off and not simply wiping it or blowing it off. It has kept my work area surprisingly cleaner as well.  
I think I found a new home for the vac. 

• Like 4

On 1/31/2023 at 2:28 PM, ScottsGT said:

My wife has seen more table saw vs. woodworker patients than I care to think about.  They all have one thing in common.  The tool won.  
I’m on edge when using any power tool, and I’ve got some dangerous ones too!  Pissed my wife off one time by yelling at her after she hollered at me to get my attention for no reason while running something through the table saw.  Impatient and wanted me to stop what I was doing to ask a stupid question.  I reminded her of all of her patients and asked if she was trying to run up the score. 

I do use and have used lots of power tools of all types throughout my whole life. The important thing beside the normal safety measurements is, being calm and concentrated and most important, know what you are doing, before you do it.
So far, I had only minor incidents with these tools, except one, when I was 17 getting my education as a light engineer and my little finger got caught into a thread on a brass piece turning rapidly on a lathe. I ripped it out, loosing only lots of blood, but not the finger. I still have the brass piece as a reminder and bottle opener.

Nice work on the sub Scott, I can feel your pain with all this filling and sanding, but the huge, albeit somehow elegant thing will benefit from the undisturbed shape, I'm sure.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Hey Rob, similar life learning experience with me as well.  I was in high school taking a printing and photography course at the trade center.  
I was running an AB Dick 360 printing press and I was in the process of cleaning the rollers.  We were warned about getting  over zealous cleaning the top roller and getting too close to the roller below it as it was running.  Me being the hard headed kid I was got my finger in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Lucky for me there was a built in safety feature that ejected the top roller straight up into the air with a loud banging noise as it smacked the ceiling tile.  
Instructor came over and in his very calm demeanor, “Well, I guess you learned just how close to not get?”  
I still have all my digits!  
I just pulled the table saw out Friday evening to cut down the edge molding for the base.  It was about 3/16 too wide.  First one went through and using my push stick something wasn’t right.  Wood kept lifting.  Closer inspection showed my push stick has too deep of a notch for thin wood and it was hitting the table top.   Taped a piece of scrap wood to the push stick and all was good! 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

“Well, I guess you learned just how close to not get?”

😂

On 2/11/2023 at 3:49 PM, ScottsGT said:

If any of y’all ever decide to take on a huge model like this or say that big B-36 Ernie is working on, make sure your meds are in check and your liquor cabinet is stocked.

Always working on the cabinet Scott not alot just enough to get comfy doesn't  take much.The model is huge and I can imagine 1/2 items taking hits often.:unworthy:

• Like 3

Thanks Peter!

Did a little sanding, putty and priming on the sub.  No real progress to show model wise.  But I did quit the procrastination that I love to do so much and jumped back on the base woodwork.  
Man, procrastination really is my first hobby!  

I got the first layer of trim around the edges with a lip to build up the sea bed.  But before the clay slinging starts, I need to prep the wood and stain and clear it first.  

1733E74B-019C-474C-9CBB-3D8B3E4E0A83.thumb.jpeg.847cf7a9fefe6a8fc1a229480d8e14b2.jpeg

• Like 10

The closest I came to losing any appendages was at my parents garment factory. We were short of some pocket panels for pants we were sewing. Our cutter wasn't in so I figured how hard could it be? I laid up the pocket lining and then grabbed a circular cutting knife. Think of a razor sharp pizza wheel with a 7" diameter blade at high RPM. Well, pocket lining is very slippery and it started to get pulled into the knife. Rather than do the smart thing and turn it off, I grabbed the lining and started fighting the blade, pulling it out. Finally turned the knife off and cleared it. Our cutter when he found out was absolutely aghast. He couldn't believe I had still had my fingers as that was the #1 way cutters lose fingers. And it's usually all the fingers on one hand at once as it happens so fast. I wasn't allowed to use the circular knife for a long time after that. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Carl

Glad your run in with the cutter wasn't any worse then it was - it could have been a disaster.

Peter, I still can't believe i got away with it. 

Turns out we have a smaller circular knife here at work. This is what they look like. 

PXL_20230214_163845198.thumb.jpg.eae9863e0ddd741914808b6f38203c1c.jpg

The blade. 

PXL_20230214_163854926.thumb.jpg.3c7abfc61c0ebda26483418da1336d99.jpg

The thing is, when you use one you have your other hand directly in front of the blade as you hold the fabric down. It's SOP and so if the fabric gets pulled in and you're not paying attention, so do your fingers. 

The safer option:

PXL_20230214_163949034.thumb.jpg.53fff34675854b83de313fec28f8f799.jpg

At least these ones have a guard and don't pull the fabric. 

PXL_20230214_163956336.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Peter, I still can't believe i got away with it. 

Turns out we have a smaller circular knife here at work. This is what they look like. 

PXL_20230214_163845198.thumb.jpg.eae9863e0ddd741914808b6f38203c1c.jpg

The blade. 

PXL_20230214_163854926.thumb.jpg.3c7abfc61c0ebda26483418da1336d99.jpg

The thing is, when you use one you have your other hand directly in front of the blade as you hold the fabric down. It's SOP and so if the fabric gets pulled in and you're not paying attention, so do your fingers. 

The safer option:

PXL_20230214_163949034.thumb.jpg.53fff34675854b83de313fec28f8f799.jpg

At least these ones have a guard and don't pull the fabric. 

PXL_20230214_163956336.jpg

Scary-looking stuff. Especially as the the guard on the circular blade one seems offset from the blade plane. 
I can understand why an operator would move the guard aside, but it’s also a call-for-trouble action …

Being a French company-owner, and having lived through a serious work-accident in 2014 on the premises - where I found out that being a business manager is not like being a doctor : you have an absolute result obligation, and putting the means in place is just not enough, whatever the intentions, and you are supposed to foresee all possible problems, including operator foul-usage -, I know an offset blade guard leading to a lost finger would have led me to a fine, if not prison …

Hubert

• Like 5

Hubert, the "guard" actually sit on top of the pile of fabric and is meant to hold it down rather than protect the operator's fingers. Think of a multilayer cake where each layer is a piece of fabric. The guard rests on the top layer and gently presses down on the top. The circular knives are meant for smaller quantities while that straight knife has a roughly 8" capacity and a 12" blade. 

I suspect newer versions may actually have a guard but haven't seen one. Most of these are easily 20-30 years old. 

Scott, sorry for the complete thread drift. 

Now back to the Seaview. 

• Like 3

And now we finally have some paint!!   
Almost an entire bottle of Mr. Color FS36622 on just the bottom.  
Found a spot or two I might go back and fix. But going to wait for it to dry first. Looked bad under wet paint.  Let’s wait for it to flatten out.   

95ADC3D6-B412-4454-A95B-4862FF3D27D6.thumb.jpeg.c796e2f888ea342f2de16396f6315fcf.jpeg

• Like 8