Jump to content
The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

And then this happened...


CANicoll

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

 

I think we’re all about where you are now. Maru was blessed with a career that kept her active, so her pains might not be as bad….

Me, I’m not really all that old and broke down, but I’m far enough along as to where I don’t stand too close to the curb on trash day. 🤡

I actually felt my body getting weaker and fatter when I took a desk job 12-14 years ago.  Was I smart enough to counter that with some sort of exercise routine?  Of course not.  I worked hard for this position. I earned it!  It was time to “relax”. 
I will add that now since I have retired I’m more active than I have been in those 12-14 years.  But now one or two days of highly active work brings on 3 days of recovery.  :blink:
Even longer if I do something stupid like picking up heavy 5 gallon buckets full of lumber scraps up and over the side of my truck bed instead of lowering the tailgate to get them out.   Yea, shoulder is all out of whack now after that one last Thursday. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

I actually felt my body getting weaker and fatter when I took a desk job 12-14 years ago.  Was I smart enough to counter that with some sort of exercise routine?  Of course not.  I worked hard for this position. I earned it!  It was time to “relax”. 
I will add that now since I have retired I’m more active than I have been in those 12-14 years.  But now one or two days of highly active work brings on 3 days of recovery.  :blink:
Even longer if I do something stupid like picking up heavy 5 gallon buckets full of lumber scraps up and over the side of my truck bed instead of lowering the tailgate to get them out.   Yea, shoulder is all out of whack now after that one last Thursday. 

Me too with the shoulder. Last fall I took advantage of a joy being away for a full week, so I used the “off time” bucking rivets, bending sheet metal on a brake and trimming with hand shears.  I had zero feeling in my right arm after that, and I believe I dislocated a couple fingers, because to this day, they lock up and I need to pull them with my other hand to snap them back into place.  
Oh the fun of age. My issues are nothing compared to Chris, though. Not being able to drain the main vein on command isn’t one of the favorites on my list of things to do.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea, all my life I’ve heard my wife complain about her plumbing working as it should and how men don’t have to put up with our friend coming to visit every month. And how she’s so happy now that she’s older.  
What I didn’t expect was us men having to chase doctors and procedures to KEEP our plumbing working in old age. :wallbash:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To lighten things up a little, Louis Jouvet, a famous French actor of the 1930s, was meeting with a group a friends and in the discussion started to complain about his prostate problems. One of the guys there used to stutter, and asked, all stuttering, what the prostate problems meant. « It means I pee like you speak » was Jouvet’s answer :)

Hubert

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One bit of bright news is that there are some really good new therapy options available for prostate cancer. We're just starting to roll them out as a national service in Scotland doing lutetium-177 PSMA therapies as an adjunct to the gallium-68 PSMA PET/CT imaging. These will really benefit some patients who previously would have been considered to be beyond all treatment options. Keeps me in a job dealing with all the radiation protection implications of it all until it's my turn.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2023 at 2:35 PM, HubertB said:

To lighten things up a little, Louis Jouvet, a famous French actor of the 1930s, was meeting with a group a friends and in the discussion started to complain about his prostate problems. One of the guys there used to stutter, and asked, all stuttering, what the prostate problems meant. « It means I pee like you speak » was Jouvet’s answer :)

Hubert

Now that made me really laugh!  Thanks Hubert!

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I appreciate all of the comments and sharing, guys.  Thank you.  Like Tim, I have unfortunately seen the other side of the quality of life.  At the other site, my avatar was a picture of Ralph Minker, pilot of the 447th BG B-17G Blue Hen Chick, tail 4338719 out of Rattlesden, England.  Once he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's I started meeting him every Friday morning for coffee at a Starbucks a block and a half from his home to get him out and talk and exercise his brain. We did that for seven years until he had to go into memory care.  I'd still stop by every week, but by then he could no longer speak or walk so I'd just talk to him for a while.  I was there when he passed.

In High School my friend's father, an Air Force officer, contracted bone cancer.  The last time I saw him I don't think he weighed 75 pounds.  Both of these examples made me very cognizant of the fragility of life and having a quality of life.

So I really do appreciate everyone's stories.  Thank you!

(BTW, doing much better now.  The plumbing is primarily working :rolleyes: I'm happy to say, just have to see if the medicine does the trick.  Takes about 30 days for full effect.)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
16 hours ago, CANicoll said:

I appreciate all of the comments and sharing, guys.  Thank you.  Like Tim, I have unfortunately seen the other side of the quality of life.  At the other site, my avatar was a picture of Ralph Minker, pilot of the 447th BG B-17G Blue Hen Chick, tail 4338719 out of Rattlesden, England.  Once he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's I started meeting him every Friday morning for coffee at a Starbucks a block and a half from his home to get him out and talk and exercise his brain. We did that for seven years until he had to go into memory care.  I'd still stop by every week, but by then he could no longer speak or walk so I'd just talk to him for a while.  I was there when he passed.

In High School my friend's father, an Air Force officer, contracted bone cancer.  The last time I saw him I don't think he weighed 75 pounds.  Both of these examples made me very cognizant of the fragility of life and having a quality of life.

So I really do appreciate everyone's stories.  Thank you!

(BTW, doing much better now.  The plumbing is primarily working :rolleyes: I'm happy to say, just have to see if the medicine does the trick.  Takes about 30 days for full effect.)

That’s awesome all around. 
Sometimes the plumbing works so well it’ll do so uncommanded.

I hate it when that happens. 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...