Jump to content
The Great LSP Twins Group Build Starts Jan 24, 2024 - End July 3, 2024 ×

And then this happened...


CANicoll

Recommended Posts

Most of us on LSM are people of a certain age, mostly men (sorry Maru) so we have similar maladies.  Some of you may relate to my experience today.

Bad night last night, up every hour, could not empty my bladder.  Finally got up for work, had a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee.  Pain wasn't really in my lower back, as has been the case in the past with my kidney stones.  More in the front - bladder.  Debated calling the doc or going to the ER, thought maybe moving around a bit (like at work) would help.  Got to work and after an hour it was apparent this wasn't getting any better.  Worse, my bladder felt even tighter.

Headed home to see about going to the Emergency Room - normally a 15 minute drive.  Not one but TWO accidents made that a 45 minute, excruciating drive.  Debated on calling an ambulance, instead tried to find a friend to take me.  That cost another 25 minutes.

Finally get to the ER, pain definitely increasing, got signed in. Within 15 minutes I could not stand or walk.  STILL took 90 minutes to get to an ER room and meds, which sounds horrible (much like the sounds I was making by then), but TWO people 'coded' so that took precedence (as it should).  One was a stroke victim.

Finally, some pain meds, a catheter and the miracle of an empty bladder - all 1200ml (most men's bladders hold 700ml).  Most painful thing I've ever experienced.

I thought it was kidney stones even though I knew if felt different.  I almost took a pain pill (I have some serious pills from the Kidney stones) and went to sleep.  Had I done that, it is possible my bladder might have burst.  Then who would get all the kits in the stash?  What a waste!

How many stupid decisions did I make on this one event? Too many, and not to be dramatic, but it could have killed me.

Seriously - please take YOUR health seriously, folks. 

PS : With the catheter, I now have a 'pee bag' taped to my leg.  Which means I don't need to run to the bathroom to pee unless the bag fills up.  So more uninterrupted bench time.  Hoping to finish the Catalina this week.  Win win!!  (But it really wasn't worth the pain!)
Chris

  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris, do they know why your plumbing stopped working?  Was it a bladder stone blocking things up? 
 

You know what’s worse?  Being married to a CRNA.  First, their personality types are basically narcissistic’s. She’s always right.
 Second, medical personnel tend to downplay any symptom.  Third, she always finds a way to blame it on me not getting enough exercise. 
I’m eat up with arthritis in my back, neck, knees and left hand.  I also have severe spinal stenosis. If a weather front is coming, I can feel it. I have good days, but more often bad days with pain I can work through with enough Motrin and Tylenol on board. And a hot tub. Yes, best damned money we’ve ever spent on a frivolous toy that wound up being very therapeutic for myself.  
“Well if you would just walk 5 miles a day…”  :blink:

15 years ago our son was having some “indigestion” and bad stomach cramping issues.  Wife kept blowing it off.  I finally did some reading after remembering his symptoms were like my dads when he was having gall bladder issues. Sure enough, boy had to have his removed at 16.  
 

She’s the epitome of “Rub some dirt on it and walk it off.” 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Scott,  Probable culprit is the prostate.  Was good 2 years ago (or was it 3?) but things may have tightened up.  I'm on medication to hopefully loosen that up (Flowmax, of all things. :rofl:).  I thought it might be stones blocking, but when they inserted the catheter, they didn't feel anything.  They left the catheter in for a week to let the prostate settle down.  Seems like prostates don't take kindly to having catheters shoved up there.  No kidding!

Sucks about your wife and your son.  Ugh.  And the attitude that your problems were your fault - I hate that.  My former wife was the same way.  Sad.

Hang in there!

Chris

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just make sure you ask to add a PSA test, when you next have a blood test. You may already be doing this as this is a good clue if its prostrate issues.

But good luck, did not sound at all enjoyable, but then so would seeing your stash dispersed. Regards Iain

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris, glad to hear you're on the mend. It doesn't sound like fun at all. 

As for family advice,  my wife is a research librarian for public health, I have a father in law who's a retired pathologist so he always saw the worst case scenario of what ails you and a sister in law who's an ER doc. All of them have been great in getting information and advice from.  Oddly enough, although my sister in law will tell you to get something checked out, she won't do it herself and a few Christmases ago nearly died from kidney failure since she ignored all the signs. She ended up having to get a kidney transplant shortly thereafter. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris

Please follow your doctor's advice to the letter and I know you will make a full recovery. I'm not the picture of health these days and I know how the uncertainty is hard to deal with. We're here to help in any way - and no question you will be fine.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IainMackayDall said:

Just make sure you ask to add a PSA test, when you next have a blood test. You may already be doing this as this is a good clue if its prostrate issues.

But good luck, did not sound at all enjoyable, but then so would seeing your stash dispersed. Regards Iain

Thanks Iain.  What was so hard was being in the hospital, having the IV in, but not getting 5 min of a doctors time to get the meds ordered.  The problem was two critical cases happened right at that time - two strokes I think - which are so much more time critical.  I survived.  Just checked the 18 pages of release notes from the hospital visit, including four pages of test results.  Does not look like a PSA test was performed so will definitely ask about that on Tuesday.  Thanks, as I would not have thought to ask.

44 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Chris, glad to hear you're on the mend. It doesn't sound like fun at all. 

As for family advice,  my wife is a research librarian for public health, I have a father in law who's a retired pathologist so he always saw the worst case scenario of what ails you and a sister in law who's an ER doc. All of them have been great in getting information and advice from.  Oddly enough, although my sister in law will tell you to get something checked out, she won't do it herself and a few Christmases ago nearly died from kidney failure since she ignored all the signs. She ended up having to get a kidney transplant shortly thereafter. 

Having a had a huge change in medical insurance I have not followed up as I used to with appropriate doctors visits.  I had just started getting things back in order (got new eye glasses ordered) and was looking for a primary care doc when this happened. The good news is hopefully I've found a urologist which is literally around the corner from me.

38 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Chris

Please follow your doctor's advice to the letter and I know you will make a full recovery. I'm not the picture of health these days and I know how the uncertainty is hard to deal with. We're here to help in any way - and no question you will be fine.

 

You bet, but you follow your advice too,  I know you do.   I do appreciate being able to share what is going on in my life with the fine folks here, and hear back from so many people.  And share in their lives too.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys make sound like a young spry chicken I have some issues @ 62 but doing pretty well keep trying to hit the gym 3X a week.I am stronger now than I have been in 20 years or so.Yes Chris keep an eye on things and get that PSA I would of thought it's probably been done as a preemptive ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/3/2023 at 4:07 PM, CANicoll said:

Most of us on LSM are people of a certain age, mostly men (sorry Maru) so we have similar maladies.  Some of you may relate to my experience today.

Bad night last night, up every hour, could not empty my bladder.  Finally got up for work, had a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee.  Pain wasn't really in my lower back, as has been the case in the past with my kidney stones.  More in the front - bladder.  Debated calling the doc or going to the ER, thought maybe moving around a bit (like at work) would help.  Got to work and after an hour it was apparent this wasn't getting any better.  Worse, my bladder felt even tighter.

Headed home to see about going to the Emergency Room - normally a 15 minute drive.  Not one but TWO accidents made that a 45 minute, excruciating drive.  Debated on calling an ambulance, instead tried to find a friend to take me.  That cost another 25 minutes.

Finally get to the ER, pain definitely increasing, got signed in. Within 15 minutes I could not stand or walk.  STILL took 90 minutes to get to an ER room and meds, which sounds horrible (much like the sounds I was making by then), but TWO people 'coded' so that took precedence (as it should).  One was a stroke victim.

Finally, some pain meds, a catheter and the miracle of an empty bladder - all 1200ml (most men's bladders hold 700ml).  Most painful thing I've ever experienced.

I thought it was kidney stones even though I knew if felt different.  I almost took a pain pill (I have some serious pills from the Kidney stones) and went to sleep.  Had I done that, it is possible my bladder might have burst.  Then who would get all the kits in the stash?  What a waste!

How many stupid decisions did I make on this one event? Too many, and not to be dramatic, but it could have killed me.

Seriously - please take YOUR health seriously, folks. 

PS : With the catheter, I now have a 'pee bag' taped to my leg.  Which means I don't need to run to the bathroom to pee unless the bag fills up.  So more uninterrupted bench time.  Hoping to finish the Catalina this week.  Win win!!  (But it really wasn't worth the pain!)
Chris

NOT a fun thing!!!I hope all will be well soon!!!

 

On 4/3/2023 at 4:07 PM, CANicoll said:

Most of us on LSM are people of a certain age, mostly men (sorry Maru) so we have similar maladies.  Some of you may relate to my experience today.

Bad night last night, up every hour, could not empty my bladder.  Finally got up for work, had a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee.  Pain wasn't really in my lower back, as has been the case in the past with my kidney stones.  More in the front - bladder.  Debated calling the doc or going to the ER, thought maybe moving around a bit (like at work) would help.  Got to work and after an hour it was apparent this wasn't getting any better.  Worse, my bladder felt even tighter.

Headed home to see about going to the Emergency Room - normally a 15 minute drive.  Not one but TWO accidents made that a 45 minute, excruciating drive.  Debated on calling an ambulance, instead tried to find a friend to take me.  That cost another 25 minutes.

Finally get to the ER, pain definitely increasing, got signed in. Within 15 minutes I could not stand or walk.  STILL took 90 minutes to get to an ER room and meds, which sounds horrible (much like the sounds I was making by then), but TWO people 'coded' so that took precedence (as it should).  One was a stroke victim.

Finally, some pain meds, a catheter and the miracle of an empty bladder - all 1200ml (most men's bladders hold 700ml).  Most painful thing I've ever experienced.

I thought it was kidney stones even though I knew if felt different.  I almost took a pain pill (I have some serious pills from the Kidney stones) and went to sleep.  Had I done that, it is possible my bladder might have burst.  Then who would get all the kits in the stash?  What a waste!

How many stupid decisions did I make on this one event? Too many, and not to be dramatic, but it could have killed me.

Seriously - please take YOUR health seriously, folks. 

PS : With the catheter, I now have a 'pee bag' taped to my leg.  Which means I don't need to run to the bathroom to pee unless the bag fills up.  So more uninterrupted bench time.  Hoping to finish the Catalina this week.  Win win!!  (But it really wasn't worth the pain!)
Chris

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bit of a setback yesterday.  Went into work (shipping auto parts) for four hours which means four hours on my feet walking back and forth - albeit more slowly than usual and not picking up anything heavy (like brake rotors or calipers). There are only two of us doing shipping and the other guy had to go to a funeral for a friend who committed suicide (at 22.  Sad).  I thought I'd go in for a few hours, ship the small stuff, and help get caught up (since we don't work weekends).  I really did take it easy and slow.  It was nice to get out of the condo for a while with beautiful weather outside.

I didn't notice until two hours after I left work, when I emptied the catheter bag, but some internal bleeding started.  Ugh.

Doc smacked me for being on my feet that long, said lots of blood in the urine, (the color of dark Iced Tea - huge warning sign) but no sign of infection.  Probably a reaction to the catheter.  Drink lots of water and if it continues - back to the ER.  Last night there was a small (6mmx2mm) blood clot in the catheter bag so hopefully that was it.  Everything looks back to normal this morning.  Whew. 

I need to finish the Catalina to clear off the bench for my next build so I have a good reason to sit (relatively) still for longer stretches.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2023 at 4:05 PM, CANicoll said:

Tim,  You bet!  UGH!!  Of course, the alternative isn't fantastic either...  

I guess it depends on your perspective, right? My dad died in February, and his health was so miserable he'd been wishing he could check out for a while. As the song says, "...hope I die before I get old.....".

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, biggtim said:

I guess it depends on your perspective, right? My dad died in February, and his health was so miserable he'd been wishing he could check out for a while. As the song says, "...hope I die before I get old.....".

My MIL suffered from COPD and she begged God to take her every day. It was horrible watching her suffer. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2023 at 8:01 AM, blackbetty said:

i can relate, since my wife is a psychiartic nurse (and a therapist with a masters degree) - not a lot a things where i´m right....

 

On 4/4/2023 at 11:15 AM, Bomber_County said:

Chris, hope you’re feeling a little better……….as for wives in general,  are any of us right any of the time………..

I kept telling my ex-wife, doing a Masters in psychology, she could and should not use and apply any of her psychology theories and analyses to her family members, and pretend she knew better than me or our children what were our motives and reasons for acting or reacting in a given way, but this was a concept she could not - or was not willing to - grasp …  Guess why she is now my ex-wife ?

As for living in a couple, you guys know the old saying « In a couple, there is always one of the two who is right … and there is the husband ! » :)

Finally, Chris, I hope that your doctors know that any PSA test within 2 months of the prostate being manipulated, including the classical « intimate » examination, is just likely to give irrelevant results …

Hubert

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

My MIL suffered from COPD and she begged God to take her every day. It was horrible watching her suffer. 

Not to make light of a difficult subject, but to poke fun at my addled brain - I saw "MIL" (which, of course, means mother-in-law) and my brain immediately went to Russian aircraft first. Our obsession is never far from the surface, is it?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, biggtim said:

Not to make light of a difficult subject, but to poke fun at my addled brain - I saw "MIL" (which, of course, means mother-in-law) and my brain immediately went to Russian aircraft first. Our obsession is never far from the surface, is it?

+1 ....me too Tim , saw MIL and so had to look it up . 

 

My namesake pal has prostrate cancer, but now 2 years later and some radiation he's back to being ok .

Mum dies of pancreatic cancer , diagnosis to gone in 4 weeks . 

 

As the song says , "why do we think we have so much time ?"

 

Oh & other useful advice , if someone feeds you chocolate cake with beetroot ( it's a gourmet thing apparently) be aware of the panic you may feel going to the loo 12 hours or whatever later .....I'll just park it there 

 

Sincerely wishing you a speedy recover Chris . 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i would almost say: been there, done that, and now...........

On the PSA issue one should probably take more attention, i myself am in the prostate cancer rollercoaster , since i myself asked to make a PSA test (the first ever for me, being 68 years of age now) while doing my yearly aeromedical checkup, and the number went up in such a way that i was advised to have a talk with my personal doctor, and so i came to have all these tests from probing to MRI to biopsies to PET/CT scans (fortunately no spreads further down the line), and it turned out to be prostate cancer, albeit in the lower regions, but has to be taken care of, not just observing.

I opted for the radiation treatment, and it started with a hormone suppressant period of three months, ending this June, and thereafter 28 radiation sessions, 4 each week, so after 7 weeks the actual treatment would be over, somewhere mid august this year.....and then the "aftermath"......

the least "bother" is ofcourse due to this condition i'm legally unfit to fly, with all the consequences that goes with it, but i'm confident eventually it'll be the best approach to have this tackled.........

wish me luck........

Jack

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Chris, I somehow missed reading about all your woes and the scare, and I’m glad you’re on the mend.

But yes, I agree, we ALL need to take our health just a bit more seriously as we all grow a little longer in the tooth. 
My wife is constantly on me, as I simply refuse to go to the doc when something isn’t right.  And I even have VA benefits, but I stay FAR away from those places. 
My dad had a similar situation to yours about 40 years ago. We were living in the high Arctic on a small radar station, and the station Med guy couldn’t handle it, so Dad had a half hour ride in the station Huey to get quickly to the airport, then a 4 hour ride in a DC-3, followed by another 2 hours in an F28, all in absolute agony to get to Winnipeg and a proper hospital. He ended up like you, although they admitted him to the wards and kept him several days till the stones passed. 
 Mine has been a trickle at times, but all tests show good.

My thing is my knees.  They’re both blown out and I’m in absolute agony when I walk. I drive my wife insane as I refuse replacements as of yet. Another couple gel injections are up and coming, them maybe replacements in 4-5 years. I don’t want to be young enough to where I may need to do them a second time around.  No runnin’ and gunnin’ for me anymore. My door kicker days are long, long in the past.

I think we’re all about where you are now. Maru was blessed with a career that kept her active, so her pains might not be as bad….

Me, I’m not really all that old and broke down, but I’m far enough along as to where I don’t stand too close to the curb on trash day. 🤡

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...