Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Have I mentioned how much I love lacquer paints?

ScottsGT

Doing a close up inspection after what I thought was final touch ups on the F-14.  Noticed a few nicks in the tip of the nose cone.  
Just hit it with some 400 grit to remove them, smoothed it out with 800. 
few hits of Mr. Finishing 1500, wipe over it 5 min later with the 800 and applied a few light coats of FS16440 and blended with leveling thinner. 

IMG_0417.thumb.jpeg.ed8b25aef3e4931e0882592f4f1d60c0.jpeg

Man, back in the day when I was shooting Model Master enamels I would have had to set it aside for a week to dry. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Doing a close up inspection after what I thought was final touch ups on the F-14.  Noticed a few nicks in the tip of the nose cone.  
Just hit it with some 400 grit to remove them, smoothed it out with 800. 
few hits of Mr. Finishing 1500, wipe over it 5 min later with the 800 and applied a few light coats of FS16440 and blended with leveling thinner. 

IMG_0417.thumb.jpeg.ed8b25aef3e4931e0882592f4f1d60c0.jpeg

Man, back in the day when I was shooting Model Master enamels I would have had to set it aside for a week to dry. 

Nice! What brand of lacquers are you using?

• Like 1

Mostly Mr. Color but I also have a lot of MRP that I started out with.  MRP offers a few colors Mr. Colors doesn’t have. 

Sorry…I was answering and the wife wanted me to do something. 

I’m painting this one using all Mr. Color paints.  I think I might have to use MRP on the flat black around the cockpit.  Got to check my paint inventory.  
But I like the versatility Mr. Color offers since it comes thick and I have to thin it. I can also brush touch using it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also like the Tamiya lacquers although the colour range is definitely limited compared to others. The AK Real Colours range is pretty good as well although they are acrylic lacquers, similar to the Tamiya acrylics.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 10:32 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

Mr Color is the bestest. I've got bottles of it that are at least 20 years old and they're still good to go. 

Good to know.  I had no idea these have been out there for that long. I did buy a bottle of Mr. Color Rejuvenator that is basically thinner and binders you add when the paint gets old and thickens up.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Good to know.  I had no idea these have been out there for that long. I did buy a bottle of Mr. Color Rejuvenator that is basically thinner and binders you add when the paint gets old and thickens up.  

Mr Color has been around since the '80s. It was available back then in some shops  but being a lacquer it scared me off a bit at the time so I stuck to their Aqueous line. 

For a long time, there was no official North American importer for the paint. Being in Toronto, where there's a large Asian population there were a bunch of small hobby shops that were bringing it in themselves directly from Hong Kong or Japan. Sometimes they'd be sold out and you'd have to wait a while for certain colours or you had to go to a couple shops to find it. 

Another paint line that's been around longer than people think is Tamiya's enamel paints.  Little square bottles but plastic instead of glass.