The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Revell P-51D "Louisiana Heat Wave" saved from the SOD

Since our temps in N. Louisiana lately have been in the low 100's every day I think it's appropriate to build this kit as "Louisiana Heat Wave". Should be a nice relief from the P-40. :)

La. Heat Wave.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, KevinM said:

And I take it John the kit is the Revell?still a good kit for the bucks.:unworthy:

Yes it's Revell. Certainly not up to Tamiya standards but still a good kit for the cost. However, in future, I intend to go with Tamiya. Too many headaches with the Revell kits even though the price is better. 🙄

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Very appropriate build there John. If I ever get to the one I have in my stash, I'll know what to look out for. 

I thought it was appropriate for sure! LOL It does have some problem areas which usually have some cuss factors involved! :) Here are a couple of shots of other "problem" areas FYI.

8-18-23 002.jpg

8-18-23 003.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

No question, you're taming another Revell Mustang and she is going to be a beauty. Just a shame, they take so much additional work but for the price, it worth the money.

I agree it's a shame it needs so much "fixing" but it IS worth the money. However, whenever I decide on another Mustang build it will be Tamiya. :)

• Like 2

• Administrators

Nice to see you kicking it into shape, John. Revell does need a bit of work, but in the end it’s up to whether a builder wants a bit more work in exchange for 1/4 the price…

I like Revell.  I find them fun. But if I needed a good build quick, it’d be Tamiya every time. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Nice to see you kicking it into shape, John. Revell does need a bit of work, but in the end it’s up to whether a builder wants a bit more work in exchange for 1/4 the price…

I like Revell.  I find them fun. But if I needed a good build quick, it’d be Tamiya every time. 

I too like Revell Ernie but I feel they could devote more attention to FIT which would make their kits more appealing. A lower price for kits that have numerous fit problems doesn't seem to be a good tradeoff plus it does nothing for the manufacturers reputation. For example, Tamiya has a great reputation for good fit and detail while Revell, in my humble opinion, does not. When I purchase a Tamiya (or Hasegawa even) kit I feel confident it won't have numerous problems. It's too bad it's not so with Revell. I have the new Revell Hurricane on the way and, if the PO doesn't ship it off to parts unknown, it should deliver today. I'll be doing some test fitting for sure.

• Like 1

I've decided to put this on aside until I decide what I want to do with it. These photos show why. Most of this I couldn't see very well due to my old eyes plus some just didn't show up very well until I applied some Alclad. There were several areas where I had some peel off and I didn't go back and sand them smooth, etc. Also you can see some residue left behind by the post it notes I used to mask off some areas to prevent overspray. The anti glare panel is still tacky and picking up "dust" even after being painted several days ago with ProModeler acrylic OD. I think the problem there is I thinned it with Tamiya thinner and they just didn't work well together. I hate to call it quits on this build after all the effort I put in but it is what it is. I'll move on to something else.

8-21-23 001.jpg

8-21-23 006.jpg

8-21-23 004.jpg

8-21-23 003.jpg

• Sad 3

• JohnB changed the title to Revell P-51D "Louisiana Heat Wave" SOD candidate

John

Got ya and you're a hundred percent right.  Price and detail are always a tradeoff and is expected but price and fit should never be a tradeoff. Over the years, I've grown tired of fixing manufacturers sloppy work and terrible fit issues. In this an age, there shouldn't be any reason a kit has fit problems unless it's a limited run kit and even then, more effort needs to be devoted in design.

Onto better kits without all the issues.

• Like 2

I guess I'll devote some time today to cleaning this model up. Maybe I can go on and proceed with it as I hate to trash it after all the work, etc. After fine sanding some of the problem spots and HOPEFULLY smoothing out the wing root and wing areas I'll see about fixing things.

8-21-23 B 001.jpg

• Like 4

• JohnB changed the title to Revell P-51D "Louisiana Heat Wave" saved from the SOD (at least for now)
15 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Glad to see you pushing through with this John.  Good luck!

Thanks Mike. We'll see how it goes and I hope I can get it sorted out and "presentable". 🙄

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Glad to see you decided to give the Mustang and go and get her across the finish line.

Fingers crossed for sure; 🤞

Mine too Peter. 🤪

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice save from the SOD and you Mustang is looking mighty good. Absolutely nailed the invasion stripes.👍

Thanks. My fingers are crossed there are no more "Uh oh's" but we will see. I've returned to what I know works for me ie enamels instead of acrylics. For some reason the acrylics are a problem. Still have to be careful masking over the Alclad as sometimes it will jump up and bite you.

• Like 1