The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Italeri F-35A splinter scheme

Well, as good as I’m going to get it.  If you stair at it too long you can see I’m a little off on symmetry.  But not bad I guess for using a ruler and Tamiya tape to mask all this off. 

IMG_1083.thumb.jpeg.2efb1dba52f992ee2752df1e5af6258f.jpeg

I did have a few fuzzy edges that a cotton swab and some Nu Finish car polish took care of.  
Now waiting on those correct stars and bars in the mailbox.  

• Like 9

Finally finished up the decals today.  After a few hours dry time I went with my old acrylic dull coat, Microscale’s Micro Satin.  I was afraid of melting the Alps printed decals. 
I just sprayed the top with the flat since the bottom still has the Have Glass pearlescent clear on it. 

IMG_1094.thumb.jpeg.5a31b59a12a9691b851dd6eb3350d635.jpeg

• Like 6

• Administrators
On 10/17/2023 at 11:01 AM, ScottsGT said:

This thing is wearing me down!  Back many, many moons ago (1980’s) I was a paint and bodyman.  We had a terminology we used in the body shop business.  If a car was getting an all over paint job and the customer wanted it right, we removed all dings and dents.  The bodyman was told to do a “walk around” which meant if you saw it, you fixed it before sending off to paint.  You walked around every square inch inspecting and repairing.  
If it came back to you from paint with spots of masking tape revealing areas you missed, the boss wasn’t happy. 

I’ve walked around this damned F-35 three times now and I keep finding tiny boogers I missed over and over.  But hey, we keep pressing on.  Right?   I thought this was a really nice kit when I opened the box the first time.  It’s not too bad, but it’s no shake and bake kit for sure.  

IMG_0916.thumb.jpeg.06bc302627cf5a1318ba176514beedb0.jpeg

Tires are a friggin’ joke.  Looks like someone let the air out to piss off the pilot.  Reskit replacements are on the way now.  

IMG_0917.thumb.jpeg.fd7b46d0782a486fa87cc85c6939bd85.jpeg

I looked online at real F-35 tires.  These are so far off it’s unbelievable.  Just too flat looking. 

Those tires are hilarious.  Maybe on a DC-3, yes, but even then it’d wiggle around on the mains so much as to be unsafe as all heck!   

• Like 2

Todays lesson boys and girls??

Don’t trust kit directions! 
Went to install landing gear doors. It shows this is how it’s done. 
IMG_1099.thumb.jpeg.f25530f3e437abcd27b622cfcadf5e3c.jpeg

Just to make sure door angles were correct I went online and looked at pics.  Yea, like a P-51’s inner doors, only open during gear movement.  This is how it should be. 
IMG_1100.thumb.jpeg.dd0390ac53d17ac5570a0fe579f9db73.jpeg

Thus would have been another one of those plan ahead moments. 

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks great. I'm still trying to decide if I want to do my Tamiya one all clean like yours or beast mode with a full underwing load of stores. 

Only reason I did this one clean is because I don’t think Splinters carry load outs. Just cat and mouse games training pilots. 
My B and C models will be dirty.  Actually thinking of doing folded wings on the Navy bird. Someone got me hooked on the folded wing look.   🤡

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

My B and C models will be dirty.  

You should get the Tamiya B kit. They have options for parked, short take off and vertical flight poses.  Landing gear oleos are suitably compressed/extended, jet nozzle rotated partway/fully and control surfaces to match all three options. Which explains the 58 page instruction book.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

You should get the Tamiya B kit. They have options for parked, short take off and vertical flight poses.  Landing gear oleos are suitably compressed/extended, jet nozzle rotated partway/fully and control surfaces to match all three options. Which explains the 58 page instruction book.

It’s the wrong scale!  I know the Trumpeter kit has the turned down exhaust as well. Not sure about oleos though. (Stupid auto correct wants Oreo.  Damnit. Now I want Oreos too)

• Haha 3