Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/72 Unterseebooten ...A hole in the sea ....

PanzerWomble

5 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

PW, this one passed me by, stonking weathering………I’m of the same opinion as you are on 1/16, just ……………...looking forward to the finale…….

I have to do it in chunks and take a rest , it's just too much work on the giant salami to do it all in one push . I also need to think what this dio is going to look like before hacking the foam . 🤔

• Like 3

• PanzerWomble changed the title to 1/72 Unterseebooten ...First cut is the deepest ......

At this angle, I’d rather say that it is sinking backwards. Pretty dramatic and grueling in itself …

Hubert

PS: you have pushed the « it’s not visible but at least I know it’s here » concept to a new height by painting the rear end before hacking it ;) !

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, KevinM said:

What's going on here Guy??did she slither to the bottom of the ocean?:hsmack:

I felt I needed to finish up the Mossie , then Martin kept pestering me to start the Lighting 😆...and then i was ill for a bit and couldn't do anything . This needed a trip to a hardware store for some board to strengthen the sea scape & I couldn't drive .

Wife is being nice with it sat on a dining table for now, but need to wrap up the Lightning and then finish this one off . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• PanzerWomble changed the title to 1/72 Unterseebooten ...A hole in the sea ....

Ok squirrelling sideways ....

Foam is cut with a hot wire cutter, sanded smoother by a DA sander to get some swells into it . Then the fun starts. For this you need Liquitex gloss medium 

temp-Image9-M4614.avif

And also for some micro texture , use it to glue some kitchen roll over the surface, this sounds nutz but trust me , oh and you can obviously mix paint into the medium , I'm just covering with colour at this point 

temp-Imageoy-Tu9-L.avif

See that mostly flat but rippled ? Thats where we are headed 

temp-Image-YUtk-QW.avif

temp-Image-JRCGu-J.avif

And so we reach here - all the white is hidden under a layer of unfeasably blue . Now I need to paint the surface colours appropriately , and fix correct waves ...then about 10 layers of medium to build up the sea gloss. If you get brush marks ....sponge them out , as any straight line is clearly a no no . 

temp-Imagee5-IWYn.avif

Zats all for now folks ......

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

For some reason I can't view your build pictures.  I can see the other ones you included though.  Any ideas why?  I always learn a lot from your builds.

Clutching at straws thinking I can teach anything lol , that's kind though 😀

There are not pictures in every post. 

......the most recent post had this pic - can you see this one?

temp-Imagee5-IWYn.avif

• Like 2

Several paint jobs later, have settled on a mix of Paynes Grey and Prussian Blue , loosely mixed to give natural variation , ie some more blue / some more grey and then painted the entire surface. Last few seascapes were all predominantly lighter grey and wanted to get away from that esp as the scale is larger, and a darker sea scape works with the scenario of a dying boat . Yeah I know...... artsy twonk I am . 

Here I am using a torch obliquely to look for any regular texture pattern or brush strokes, which will scream manmade, especially when all the gloss medium is covering it . I've had to adjust several areas using medium and paint to block out the tissue pattern ( top right) . When this is all good, then it's 10+ layers of gloss medium to build up the sea ...and of course I can mix in colour to these layers to really mess with the sea scape . Also thinking a small oil slick might be nice but not idea how to do that now ....oil paints .....Tamiya's Smoke paint ....??

temp-Image-Y0z5-AW.avif

• Like 4

On 2/29/2024 at 10:21 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

Hmm, image doesn't show either.  Probably a security setting on my Mac.

Mike

No issues here on viewing the photographs. If you can see all the other photographs posted on the forum and not just these, I don't think it's your Mac but a forum setting itself. I have a crazy issue myself with my signature and while Ernie has tried to fix it, last time I looked, I still have it. Always something crazy with pc's and alike. :hsmack:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1