Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Marine Mud Mover: PBJ-1H Gun Ship “Love Bug” VMB-613 in early 1945

What a shame about the zillion rivets gone through sanding and polishing, which HKM claimed to have distributed on that bird. Nice work to get it right though, Ernie. I would have thought it to be a relatively trouble free build, when I was about to choose mine for the GB.
What is wrong about the kit astrodome (meaning the top turret, right?)?

Cheers Rob 

• Like 5

• Administrators
4 hours ago, DocRob said:

What a shame about the zillion rivets gone through sanding and polishing, which HKM claimed to have distributed on that bird. Nice work to get it right though, Ernie. I would have thought it to be a relatively trouble free build, when I was about to choose mine for the GB.
What is wrong about the kit astrodome (meaning the top turret, right?)?

Cheers Rob 

Rob, there was no astrodome.  The B-25 didn’t use them. They instead used the top turret as an astrodome, and when the turret was removed, some units, not all, cobbled a simple bubble in.  The top turrets were removed late in the war, as were all non forward firing fixed guns to save weight and add fuel.  

The engines and cowls aren’t horrible, IF you use the kit parts.  Instead, I replaced the gearboxes with AMS Resin (now owned and operated by BiggTim)  castings and corrected propeller blades. 
They are a complicated subassembly though and you have to be careful. The engine cowls are the only tricky part of the build. 
If you build OOB, the rest of the kit falls together.  Very little detail in the main fuselage, but with the waist glass in place, you can’t see anything inside anyway. 
Just remember, I’m building a modified version of the H. Plenty of Marine add ons and changes. 
If you build mostly OOB, you can easily build one and finish in time.  
Grab some 3D panel decals, corrected props, and resin wheels, and go for it!  

I recommend the kit as they really look the part when complete. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Speaking of forward firing guns, there are plenty of Japanese fighters that fell to the 8 nose guns of these.  They’d blunder around in front, and one good squirt from those 8 guns would literally obliterate an A6M. Poof, gone. 
I can only imagine. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

Rob, there was no astrodome.  The B-25 didn’t use them. They instead used the top turret as an astrodome, and when the turret was removed, some units, not all, cobbled a simple bubble in.  The top turrets were removed late in the war, as were all non forward firing fixed guns to save weight and add fuel.  

Thanks for clearing this up Ernie. I haven´t started mine and did no further research until now. I will build mine as a PBJ 1H as well and got irritated as many period pictures show them having an armed turret. The ProfiModeler cover shows the same, but I found pictures of Love Bug without one. Hmm, seem I have to dig a bit deeper before I start and thankfully have your log as a reference.
I have a lot of PE for mine along the PM-set and of course some resin wheels, but will decide about the engines before I start. This will not be too soon, as I chose the AEG G.IV for the GB, because I don´t like double entries and prefer as much diversity as possible.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 5

Ernie

Awesome progress and thanks for clearing up the mystery about the astrodome. I never knew. 

I still wonder in today's age, how manufactures can get things so wrong. if we can figure it out, they certainly should have.

• Like 2

• Administrators
9 hours ago, DocRob said:

Thanks for clearing this up Ernie. I haven´t started mine and did no further research until now. I will build mine as a PBJ 1H as well and got irritated as many period pictures show them having an armed turret. The ProfiModeler cover shows the same, but I found pictures of Love Bug without one. Hmm, seem I have to dig a bit deeper before I start and thankfully have your log as a reference.
I have a lot of PE for mine along the PM-set and of course some resin wheels, but will decide about the engines before I start. This will not be too soon, as I chose the AEG G.IV for the GB, because I don´t like double entries and prefer as much diversity as possible.

Cheers Rob 

Yes, the power turrets were only removed after the threat of enemy air attack fell to nothing.  Most kept waist and tail guns for that purpose.  Unless you intend on doing yours with the waist windows removed, don’t worry about super detailing that area inside.  You’ll literally see nothing. 
The kit isn’t anywhere near as refined as the A-20, but it’s still quite buildable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

A mix of G’s and H’s.    If they did it right, the make a low pass with everything firing, three abreast, and GTFO. That often meant total surprise and a 100% return rate. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

A mix of G’s and H’s.    If they did it right, the make a low pass with everything firing, three abreast, and GTFO. That often meant total surprise and a 100% return rate. 

• Like 3

• Administrators

A teeny tiny bit of progress this weekend.

So the biggest thing was to blank off the turret opening, and then Cyprus in a hole for an astrodome.  The H didn’t have an astrodome, I expect the top turret was expected to serve as such. No astrodome was included in the kit, so I sourced a B-24 clear Sprue from eBay.  Perfect! 

IMG_1766.jpeg

IMG_1767.jpeg

IMG_1768.jpeg

• Like 6

• Administrators

The horizontal tail has similar gap issues, and there was a slight issue with the tail gunner’s hood.  Again, a bit of evergreen fixes all.  
Nothing outrageous here, just some sanding and a wedge fill piece on the port side. The hood overhung the top edge on the port side by about 1/16”.  No biggie,.. literally 5 minutes work, and it’ll be another hour to smooth, rescribe and polish.

No big deal, and easily handled by everyone here.  On other sites, some folks would lose their collective minds over this.

IMG_1780.jpeg

IMG_1779.jpeg

IMG_1782.jpeg

IMG_1781.jpeg

• Like 8

Ernie, I just took a look at my old pics and it looks like I needed a smear of filler around one of the nacelles and that was about it. But I do recall tweaking the fit beforehand gluing them on. I think I shaved the mating surfaces a bit. 

• Like 5