The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F-4E Phantom: Sharks Mouth 388th TFW at Korat, Vietnam 1968/1969: Intakes are on

10 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Ok, gonna have to smack you down for that one.  KR was ‘68.  But since you mentioned ‘69 GT500….

I thought I broke the speedometer in this one back when I was young and foolish. Back around 1982.   It was my brothers car (him in the photo)  I had just gotten new tires installed and I was driving home and I suddenly noticed the road in front of me was all mine.   I pegged the 140 speedometer and held my foot on the go pedal.  When I let off, it stayed on 140.  All I could think was “Oh crap!  I broke the speedO and now my brother will know I maxed it out.”  After 10-15 seconds (yea, ok. Maybe not that long, but it sure felt like it) of my foot off the pedal the needle finally started dropping. 
I’d love to know just how fast I was going that day. But I will say, the lane lines become a solid line at that speed. 

lkDzPu.jpg
I missed out on Mopars growing up.  Like Ernie, I was a Ford guy (almost) all my life.  I did shortly own a hot Rodded ‘73 Z-28.  When I was kid back in 1970 there was two cars that sparked my love affair with cars.  One was a brand new dealers demo car from a Ford dealership nearby.  It was a ‘70 Boss 302. Gold with black stripes, window slats and that beautiful shaker hood scoop.

The other was a guy in the Navy down the street that bought a brand new Vitamin C Orange 1970 Roadrunner with the air grabber hood.  He installed Craiger SS wheels. 
If I win the lottery, I will own those two cars. 

Ha ha!! Not being a Ford guy, I accept my smack-down!  Love that hood on the GT500, what a beauty!!  And those Boss 302 was so cool looking.  I drove a 69 383 RR for a friend who was scared of his car.  Not a 440 or a hemi, but still fast enough.  I owned a 70 Duster in that orange.  Sigh.  Those were the days!  Thanks for the photo.  Cool stuff.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Chris, if you want to see the difference in burner can size, here's the GT Resin one compared to the stock kit version.

20171015_212656-L.jpg

Carl,  Thanks!!!  I think my GT Resin cans are showing up this week from SB.  That is a major difference in size, but also in detail.  Hope I can do them justice.  I have the same stand you do.  

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

You got the Quinta J interior set for the E?

Looks that way. 

Chris, the J isn't going to work unfortunately. The cockpits are completely different between the E and the J. Navy F-4s didn't have any flight controls in the rear, USAF ones did. So the IPs, and side consoles are completely different. 

I wonder if you got the EJ bit mixed up when you ordered. 

• Like 3

I´m not an expert, when it comes to Phantoms Chris, but have built the Kai Phantom (-J) from ZM in 1/48. If I remember right, there was a page in the manual explaining the differences between the -E and -J model. The Ip´s where definitely different.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Chris

I've done the very same more then a few times; just all part of the game. 😉  

Now if I can find someone to take the J set off my hands!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

It Begins!!

Finally getting started on my build.  I assumed that it would begin like most aircraft builds: with the cockpit.  Noooooo... Had to start right from the get-go with the major surgery required for the GT Resin intakes.  Anyone who followed along with my Catalina build knows how much I just LOVE grafting resin onto styrene.

This is what needs to be cut from the fuselage to fit the GT Resin intakes.

PXL_20240324_001746653.thumb.jpg.11f350d47412b3f50fe28fa3bd5386b3.jpg

A MicroMark razor saw was a big help.

PXL_20240324_001736312.thumb.jpg.462cdaa367942d5f2904b8c686327365.jpgPXL_20240324_001956290.thumb.jpg.545a0fdc9cc59413111c020e5e9ab0fc.jpg

The fit is pretty good, but not sure if there will be a step at the bottom of the intake.  Otherwise, the fit seems tight - even with my butcher block cutting and rough sanding.

PXL_20240324_005024038.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.9edfba010e2f2987e11aa327345d9bb9.jpg

PXL_20240324_010018724.thumb.jpg.cd03c18c4e81633e87b44936b0c19ea5.jpg

Hoping to do further clean up tomorrow and try and keep progress going from there.  Stay tuned!!

• Like 9

• CANicoll changed the title to Tamiya F-4E Phantom: Sharks Mouth 388th TFW at Korat, Vietnam 1968/1969: Underway!

Perfect start Chris. 

When fitting the intake, don't worry about the step at the bottom. It's best to make sure the intake matches up to the fuselage as smoothly as possible. Any step at the bottom will be covered by the wing and won't be seen. You can thin the fuselage insides to tweak the fit to the intake but it's well worth doing as you can save a lot of sanding and filling later. 

One last bit of AM you might consider. AMS Resin did replacement vari-ramps. They'll fit the GT intakes (or any other brand's for that matter) and add a bit more detail. Hopefully B&B has the moulds for them if you decide to get some. 

Here's another pic I found from my last F-4 build. Good old mass production lol. 

20170710_101942-L.jpg

Carl

• Like 7

Chris

Great to see your GB build is underway by tackling the seamless intakes first, which have always been the weakest part of the kit. 

Followed your Catalina build from start to finish and I do remember; ...    knows how much I just LOVE grafting resin onto styrene.

:construction:

• Like 2

Carl,  THANK YOU for the advice!  Always welcomed.  Definitely will focus on the top fit and actually did not recognize that the bottom would be covered by the wing.  Whew!!  I'll look up those vari-ramps, too.  Cheers!

• Like 3

Thanks Peter.  My trepidation was actually unwarranted.  The instructions were pretty clear and despite some tight fits and all, the surgery was not that difficult.  I'll be working on it today and ideally will get the intakes attached.  This fuselage is a handful, however.  I am not exactly sure where the final assembly is going to take place - my workbench isn't that wide.

• Like 3

Good start on the intakes.

What i do is already put some paint on the feuselage where te intakes are.

Its hard to get there when intakes are in place.

Mark

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mark31 said:

Good start on the intakes.

What i do is already put some paint on the feuselage where te intakes are.

Its hard to get there when intakes are in place.

Mark

Mark, GREAT idea!  I have not fit them yet so still time to do that.  Thanks for the suggestion - much appreciated.

• Like 2

Brief update:

Fine-tuned the fit of the resin intakes and sawed off the pour block from the inside end of the intake and dry-fitted the fans.  Priming is coming next for these parts, after I pull out the parts for the cockpit.

Using the Quinta cockpit set means having to remove the relief from no fewer than 12 pieces, not counting the canopy pieces.  So that is next, then priming and painting the cockpit colors, along with the intakes (and fuselage).  Nothing exciting to see here!

• Like 4