The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Sky King's Songbird: Update: 3/2/24 - SOD .. BINNED

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Sure wish we could go back to the 50's and the good old days for some tings but not everything. 

Agreed Peter. I remember that show well. Then he transitioned to a Cessna 310.

• Like 2

John

He sure did and back in those days, I thought the 310 was incredible as compared to the T50. I've always been a 310 fan and just a shame the production lines have long been shut down and gone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

He sure did and back in those days, I thought the 310 was incredible as compared to the T50. I've always been a 310 fan and just a shame the production lines have long been shut down and gone. 

I flew in a T50 once as a back seat passenger. Some guy brought his daughter, about 10 or so, along. She got air sick and barfed all over ME. Not a fun thing!!!

• Like 2

John

A piece of history for sure. I've seen a good few T50's back in the day and never flew in one. Seeing what you went though, I would have passed on the ride for sure. And to think, after all these years, you must remember it like yesterday. :nuke:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

A piece of history for sure. I've seen a good few T50's back in the day and never flew in one. Seeing what you went though, I would have passed on the ride for sure. And to think, after all these years, you must remember it like yesterday. :nuke:

LOL Peter. That's something you just don't forget! 😄

• Haha 1

John

I can only image. Only once in all the years I flew, I had a passenger throw up in the right-hand front seat. I had nowhere to go and I needed to fly the plane. When we landed, he had the honors of cleaner out my plane, but the odor lasted a good long time.

• Sad 1

“OUT OF THE CLEAR BLUE WESTERN SKY”

SKY KING’S SONGBIRD

Just a quick update to show that I have been actually working on the Songbird, as progress has been slow as every part needs a lot of cleanup and TLC.

Looking over the injected molded and resin parts, the Squadron (Czech) limited production kit leaves a lot to be desired in the details and the quality of molding. But it’s the only Song Bird and a must build for me.

There just aren’t any photographs of the Songbird's interior I could find online and the Squadron Instructions gives credit to Michael McMurtrey for his research into the interior colors. I’m going with the saddle/tan color combinations offered by Cessna in 1951, as that would seem to fit the western look Sky might chose. I was able to find some B&W exterior photographs of the Songbird and all the rest are either renovations or of Bamboo Bombers. .

The build started with a thorough soaking and cleaning to remove the mold release agent and once back on the bench the front office and passenger cabin was underway. I'm planning on including as many details as I could from the period photographs that have a chance of being seen when completed.  

I started to add details to the throttle quadrant as the kit only included the upper portion, with lightly marked slits for the four of the six standard control levers: throttles and props, of which none were included. The lower portion of the quadrant which contained the additional two mixture control levers was completely absent. After I sorted out the throttle quadrant, I determined where other easily seen details should go and will be added, cowl flap and carb heat controls, trim wheel, flaps and landing gear handles. Additional switches, buttons and knobs will be added after it is painted so that the single IP decal can be added and the gauges glassed. The Song Bird is representative of the era, where the gauges were centered on the IP and both the pilot and copilot shared the same ones.

The engines were naturally aspirated Lycoming R680 Radial of 215 HP. Kits are resin molded, nicely detailed, close but no cigar. The military version is also included and of course, shouldn’t be used.

The rudder pedals required a good hour or so of cleanup and sharpening up the moldings for a better representation.

The included resin front seats are strictly the military style and not used in the Song Bird. The kit molded seats are void of any detail and decal seatbelts are provided, which will not be used and will be replaced.

There were a few side panels (fuse and electrics maybe) added to the cabin walls and that was about it.

Studying the instructions in trying to work out how the floor, rear cabin bulkhead and rear seat go together inside the cabin was an exercise in frustration as the instructions were next to useless.

Last to be done before being ready for priming was fitting and masking the windows - what a frustrating job but at least it’s done.

I soaked the kit parts for hours and can still feel the release agent – so now each part is being wiped down with isopropyl alcohol as I remove the molding flash. Hoping to finally be ready for priming in a day or so, as we’re having the second snow fall of the year. Past Monday was nearly eight inches and so far, today four plus and it’s still snowing. Most snow we have had in over two years, as last year, less then two inches total.

sY1ICm.jpg

Interior cleaned up, glass installed and masked

h5DlPi.jpg

Balance of the parts I'm working on

5PqvmI.jpg

Some of the other parts that need clean up but I haven't gotten to yet. props are going to need a choice made: plastic or resin.

RrDjx0.jpg

• Like 9

• Peterpools changed the title to Sky King's Song Bird; Update 2/17/24

Excellent update Peter. Looks to be a bit of a challenge but will be more than worth it in the end for sure. A unique bird for your display. Looking forward to your next update. 
Jeff

• Like 2

Thanks Jeff

Yup, the Songbird is going to be a challenge for sure as it sure isn't a Tamiya or Edward kit in any category. It's been a long time since I actually had to cut and make my own masks - now there was a wakeup call for sure.

• Like 3

Wow Peter, sounds like quite the challenge ahead of you. Sometimes we just don't have the choice if it's the only game in town. Knowing what you're getting into ahead of the build should help at least with the frame of mind. 

• Like 2

Great start Peter.  What a pain about the mold release agent.  So far in the few number of kits I've built, I haven't run into that problem.  Hope to IPA solves it.   Going to be an epic build when you work your magic on it!

Good luck with the snow.  We were supposed to get 5+ inches down here, but we got like less than 1/4" that melted instantly.

• Like 2

Thanks Mike. rarely do I ever wash a kit before assembly but the Song Bird was pretty bad.

I think we got your snow as we were only supposed to have 1-3 and it snowed all day today and didn't stop until almost 3PM :construction:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I like your spirit with the Sky Kings Songbird, Peter. It´s the only available kit and you want to build one, so there is no way around. Nice work on the parts preparation and I can only imagine, that you feel proud to leave the trotten path with this one.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Thanks Chris ... Sky King was always one of my favorite tv shows when I was growing up. Washing all the parts is a great habit and procedure to follow. Guess I've been lucky over the years as I only wash kits parts if it feels greasy to me but it's way safer to start a build the way you do. :construction:

• Like 2

Thanks Rob and you're so right. This is the only Songbird I know of and whatever it takes, I'll get through it and the build finished. No doubt, The Song Bird will have a special place of honor in my display case. :construction:

• Like 3

Wonder where the real airframe is today?  And the 310. Did they get sold or scrapped? Be really cool to see the original bird. And a quick Google shows it was sold off and in August 1962 was involved in a fatal crash. Sad. The 310 is still out there ‘they’ say ….

• Like 1

Hi Jeff

You started me thinking about the original Songbird (correct spelling) and I spent a good few hours researching its history through FAA Registration site.   

One story I found online goes " ...Grant sold the airplane in 1956 to a rancher friend for $1, as it had dry rot in its main spar and his friend was looking for a restoration project...." Then Kirby Grant bought a Cessna 310B. 

Further research through the FAA Aircraft Registration site had a different information available. 

The Songbird: N67832, 

Serial Number 6117, 1943 Cessna T50 owned by Paul Mantz (yes, the famous Paul Mantz). 

Built by Cessna and sold to the USAAC; UC-78B, 43-32179

Engine was a Lycoming R680 Radial of 215 HP and not a Jacobs radial as earlier research showed for T50's.   

Last registered owner: Ferro Winfred J., Clinton. Mo. 

Last airworthy date: 2000-06-23

Last Action Date: 2019-02-07

Expiration: 2022-02-28

Trying to piece the story together, how did Kirby Grant sell the plane when it was owned by Paul Mantz? Did Kirby Grant buy it from him? When did Ferro Winfred purchase the Songbird? FAA records only showed the last owner of the Songbird but nothing about purchases or the list of past owners.

It seems that Kirby Grant's friend did restore the Songbird and must have sold it. 

FAA records indicate the registration number has been inactive for a number of years but nothing about what actually happened to the Songbird. 

This is the best I could do.

• Like 3

• Peterpools changed the title to Sky King's Songbird: Update 2/19/24: Some History
11 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Hi Jeff

You started me thinking about the original Songbird (correct spelling) and I spent a good few hours researching its history through FAA Registration site.   

One story I found online goes " ...Grant sold the airplane in 1956 to a rancher friend for $1, as it had dry rot in its main spar and his friend was looking for a restoration project...." Then Kirby Grant bought a Cessna 310B. 

Further research through the FAA Aircraft Registration site had a different information available. 

The Songbird: N67832, 

Serial Number 6117, 1943 Cessna T50 owned by Paul Mantz (yes, the famous Paul Mantz). 

Built by Cessna and sold to the USAAC; UC-78B, 43-32179

Engine was a Lycoming R680 Radial of 215 HP and not a Jacobs radial as earlier research showed for T50's.   

Last registered owner: Ferro Winfred J., Clinton. Mo. 

Last airworthy date: 2000-06-23

Last Action Date: 2019-02-07

Expiration: 2022-02-28

Trying to piece the story together, how did Kirby Grant sell the plane when it was owned by Paul Mantz? Did Kirby Grant buy it from him? When did Ferro Winfred purchase the Songbird? FAA records only showed the last owner of the Songbird but nothing about purchases or the list of past owners.

It seems that Kirby Grant's friend did restore the Songbird and must have sold it. 

FAA records indicate the registration number has been inactive for a number of years but nothing about what actually happened to the Songbird. 

This is the best I could do.

That’s really interesting, Peter. Digging up the history is a really fun part of any build. I really like what you are finding. Sometimes I get really side tracked looking up details of a build subject. But that’s the fun of modelling 

• Like 1

Jeff

Absolutely adds to the build and heightens the interest. I'm sure I could find out more but most of what I wanted to know was answered. I'm guessing as the Songbird airworthy certificate expired in 2000, she hadn't been flown for some time prior to that for whatever the reason.  Maybe someone bought her and is restoring the Songbird for a museum ... who knows.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Jeff

Absolutely adds to the build and heightens the interest. I'm sure I could find out more but most of what I wanted to know was answered. I'm guessing as the Songbird airworthy certificate expired in 2000, she hadn't been flown for some time prior to that for whatever the reason.  Maybe someone bought her and is restoring the Songbird for a museum ... who knows.

Very interesting info Peter.

• Like 2