Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

How did we do it all when we were younger?

The wife and I raised 4 great kids.  We had our first when I was almost 28. Wife was 25. Year later, second one showed up.  Next two were 1995 and 1999.  It seemed very easy at the time. 
This week our oldest daughter and her husband took off to Jamaica for 6 days for their 10th anniversary.  Of course super grandma says we can handle this.  No problem.  LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Famous last words.  She might as well have said, “Here, hold my beer. Watch this.” 
Last night she admitted Super Grandma is good for 6 hours, not 6 days.  I managed to squeeze in some mandatory yard work yesterday and a run to the trash dump.  No bench time, no quiet time.  Even the thought of me sitting at the bench is out of the question. That’s my relaxation place. And if she caught me there, well let’s just say it wouldn’t be a happy moment. 
Every cough and sneeze is a germ super soaker.  Why do kids feel the need to look you in the face when they cough and sneeze?  Grandma is up 2-3 times during the night feeding the 10 month old. Of course I’m wide awake as well from all the crying and whining.  And the baby crying too. 
The silver lining to this cloud is now she’s thinking our summer get away will be just us at a resort or on a ship and not a beach condo with these rug rats running around us again. 
Counting down, t-minus 30 hours until their parents pick them up!  

• Haha 7

Oh, I forgot.  We have their dog too.  And Thursday evening our youngest daughter showed up with her husband and dog.  And Sunday our SIL’s mom and step dad showed up for an overnight trip.  So we had 6 adults, 3 kids, 3 dogs in the house and we lost power at 8:30 pm until 12:15 am.   What a poop show it was!  
Edit: Forgot the cat. 🤣

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Oh, I forgot.  We have their dog too.  And Thursday evening our youngest daughter showed up with her husband and dog.  And Sunday our SIL’s mom and step dad showed up for an overnight trip.  So we had 6 adults, 3 kids, 3 dogs in the house and we lost power at 8:30 pm until 12:15 am.   What a poop show it was!  
Edit: Forgot the cat. 🤣

Better you than me! Of course, I would have had the good sense to say no @#$%^&*!!! way in the first place..... 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Closest I can relate is my sister and her husband wanted to go for an evening. My mom offers to babysit their 6-8 month old daughter (I can't remember exactly how old she was). Not half an hour after my sis went out my mom calls me frantically for help. Thankfully I'm a 10 minute walk away so head over. Sure enough, my mom is like, this is more than I can handle. So l stayed over until my sis came back. 

Can't imagine what will happen when/if we get grandkids. As it is, Sue will 63  and I'll be 60 when our youngest finishes high school. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

That's always the way. 

Fortunately, my wife would have refused even faster than I would. She doesn't swear very often, but I'm pretty sure her response would have had at least one F word in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Scott …. That rendition was HILARIOUS. I laughed until I was nearly crying. It was so good I read it to ‘my’ Super Gramma as we are at our son and daughter in laws with 4 kids and two dogs. Day 6 of 10 plus tow days on each end of travel which is 4 airports and 4 different airplanes. I feel your pain buddy😎🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

One of my more memorable parenting outings was a grocery store run.  It was a weekend, wife was working and we needed groceries.  So I loaded all my rugrats up in my minivan and headed to Kroger. In one of the very rare moments of parenthood all the kids behaving and being wonderful, this was it.  The youngest was just big enough to sit up in the shopping cart seat, second youngest was sitting in the actual cart and not jumping around this time.  Oldest two were following behind me being perfect pre-teens.  I was on cloud 9.  
As we walked down an aisle there was a coupe with two kids around the ages of mine.  Dad was doing his best to wrangle his little monsters into behaving.  The kids were obviously winning that day.  The wife had her back to the disaster scene unfolding behind her as she was reading the food packaging.  
As we casually strolled past them, I looked at the Dad and called him a light weight.  That was it.  Just looked at him and said it.  Didn’t slow down, didn’t miss a beat.  
His wife spun around and saw my 4 perfect “angels” and burst out hysterically laughing at her better half looking like it was a scene from the WWF Wrestlemania.  
My kids got treated to lunch on the McDonalds playground that day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, blackbetty said:

i never understood this having kids thing.....

no idea why we had four...

That’s called « being caught by surprise » …

Hubert

• Haha 3