Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

So Cathy says to me a while ago, IF you were to buy a truck and ‘we’ went on the road, what would you get and how would it look? Well, I took that as a bit of a challenge and an opportunity to get another kit ………😈 he, he, he ……so I snagged an AMT Peterbilt 378 ‘Long Hauler’ , which is a re- label of the Italeri Pete 378 of the same name. 
I am straying away from box art colors even though I like red and have some nice reds. The color as picked by Cathy will be a Testors Model Master enamel Ice Blue Metallic. A Boyd (Coddington) color with maybe silver fenders and silver roof yet tbd. This one will be mostly a ‘stock build’ with a few addons……I am changing out the kit engine for a 3d printed one that Doc Rob out me onto , more about that a bit later, also have the CTM Pete 378 photo etch upgrade kit, will be adding resin air fittings, 3d printed accurate brake chambers, a resin air dryer, head ache rack, and air lines with glad hands and electrical line. This will be a highway tractor so may not be as weathered as the Autocar, that is also TBD. I will also be adding bolts where needed for a little detail here and there as well….so in order to keep up with my buddy Ron the Logger I had better get on it. Thanks for looking and any advice or questions, I’m all ears

Jeff

IMG_3947.jpeg

IMG_4315.jpeg

IMG_4316.jpeg

• Like 6

Ok, so as per usual we start with the frame. Or I do anyway, these new ‘AMT’ kits that are re- released Italeri kits are good kits over all and are nothing like the old school AMT kits of the ‘70’s and ‘80’s. They do, however need a little love to fully bring them up to ‘snuff’. The first thing that needs addressing ( from a truck drivers perspective ) is the brake chambers. They are WAY, WAY  too small , out of scale and moat definitely the wring system. The real deal would show at least a Type 30 spring brake chamber on both drive axles as per D.O.T. Regulations , rather than  only ONE axle with a spring brake chamber and one drive axle with just a standard single chamber. Not at all realistic ( or legal) . So a change is required and quite hard come by actually. Next will be a slight frame mod. A small section to be ground out for air lines to be fed. 

• Like 5

I thought I wud add a few bolts to the f/a for the spring carriers , copied from one of Ron’s builds ( no Royalties paid 😎) just a tiny bit of added detail

IMG_3958.jpeg

IMG_3959.jpeg

• Like 5

Brake chambers ….the kit one is that black blob and the replacement Type 30’s are the others. Some mods needed to facilitate the changes and further mods were required a little bit further on . I think the 3d ones are very realistic 

IMG_3975.jpeg

IMG_3972.jpeg

IMG_3976.jpeg

IMG_3977.jpeg

IMG_3978.jpeg

• Like 7

Ok. Now to the F/A. The ‘instructions’ say the front wheels can be made to ‘steer’  (pose) but the suggested way is to ‘heat swage’ the little tiny pins, not an operation I have been very successful at so out came my trusty Waldron punch set and I made some washers to go over the pin and a cap to secure it. Then I added a bolt and a splash of paint. Looks not too shabby.  

IMG_3995.jpeg

IMG_4317.jpeg

• Like 4

Now its on to cleaning the wheels up a bit. The chrome on these kits is ver good albeit a bit bright and in places that I never seen chromed such as the rear drive hubs. So that has to go and be painted flat black , looks better to me. 

IMG_4052.jpeg

IMG_4059.jpeg

• Like 7

So … gonna try something a bit different. The huge Pete air cleaners are very bright chrome . Hhhmmmm. There are lots of chromed ones out there. So I decided to de- chrome them and will paint them cab colors with chrome holding straps. This also gave me an opportunity to sand and smooth the seams. So they will be painted cab color, chrome tape for hold straps and CTM photo etch intake screens

IMG_4044.jpeg

IMG_4053.jpeg

• Like 6

Now the fuel tanks. Big fuel tanks that are chrome. I could strip the chrome and paint them aluminum, but I think my real truck would have some shiny stuff on it. So. Assemble them and the big ugly seam , I sand the seam and make it smooth altho of course the chrome is heavily damaged and I am not an Alclad guy yet ( go figure) so I took my template and cut some chrome automotive tape, put it on and polished it. It is not perfectly chromed, but in reality it wouldn’t be either as it is very exposed to any and all road grime and thrashing from tje front tires, but it looks ok to me as the seam is hardly detectable to the eye in real life here, it’s passable. 

IMG_4099.jpeg

IMG_4100.jpeg

IMG_4101.jpeg

• Like 5

Ok. Here is a tid bit I will toss in for anyone who doesn’t get the spring brake thing. As you know last week Cathy and I went to Ontario (CFB North Bay) to attend our daughter in law’s promotion ceremony. Of course we stayed with them and they have a couple dogs….( I am going somewhere here. Bear with me ) and I went out side to see one of them playing with a ‘frisby’… this ‘frisby’ turned out to be none other than a Type 30 spring brake diaphragm. This is inside the spring brake chamber that traps the air so the spring brakes ( park brakes) can be applied or released. The basic concept is air over spring. The air pushes against this rubber diaphragm which compresses the spring to release the spring brakes. And to apply the brakes for parking when the parking valve on the dash is pulled , releases the air and the spring unloads, pushing on the push rod which turns a shaft that is connected inside the brake drum to an ‘S’ cam where there are rollers on the brake shoes and internal springs which apply the brakes. And to release the ‘park brake’ the driver pushes yellow button on the dash , which applies air to the diaphragm in the spring brake chamber which in turn pushes against the main spring and reverses the former process to release the park brake

IMG_4244.jpeg

IMG_4243.jpeg

IMG_4245.jpeg

• Like 5

Ok. Lets talk about engines. Well not much to say really , the kit comes with a fairly decent Detroit 60 series which was made from 1987 to 2011 put out 300-365 and later models of this engine could crank out 575 horses and a whopping 1,850 fr lbs of torque. Torque is where the money is !

So on a post a while ago Rob (Doc Rob) informed me that he knew of a new yet to be released 3d printed 1/24 scale Detroit 60 Series engine as a direct replacement for this kit engine…… so with Ob’s info in hand I did a little investigating and found it on a pre order from Spot Model which is is Spain. So, I asked Rob a couple questions about Spot Model and he said they were good to deal with. Good enough for me . I took the plunge and ordered one.  HOLEE COW !!!!!!! The detail on this is off the clock ! A LOT of careful snipping and a little touch up here and there but is it ever worth it . Now all I have to do is paint it ( yes , Ronnie old pal, blue not red 🤣🤣🤣) assemble it and and as much extra detail that I can manage. It will be a little diamond under the hood. 

IMG_4282.jpeg

IMG_4284.jpeg

IMG_4283.jpeg

IMG_4288.jpeg

IMG_4287.jpeg

IMG_4286.jpeg

IMG_4290.jpeg

IMG_4291.jpeg

IMG_4292.jpeg

IMG_4298.jpeg

IMG_4300.jpeg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Great start Jeff !

Truck models certainly have a presence to them, and I’m sur this one will be no exception …

Hubert

Thanks , Hubert, I just hope not to make a pig’s ear out of it. As with the last one, I have a vision, it’s just a matter of getting there.  Fingers crossed

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jeff said:

Ok. Lets talk about engines. Well not much to say really , the kit comes with a fairly decent Detroit 60 series which was made from 1987 to 2011 put out 300-365 and later models of this engine could crank out 575 horses and a whopping 1,850 fr lbs of torque. Torque is where the money is !

So on a post a while ago Rob (Doc Rob) informed me that he knew of a new yet to be released 3d printed 1/24 scale Detroit 60 Series engine as a direct replacement for this kit engine…… so with Ob’s info in hand I did a little investigating and found it on a pre order from Spot Model which is is Spain. So, I asked Rob a couple questions about Spot Model and he said they were good to deal with. Good enough for me . I took the plunge and ordered one.  HOLEE COW !!!!!!! The detail on this is off the clock ! A LOT of careful snipping and a little touch up here and there but is it ever worth it . Now all I have to do is paint it ( yes , Ronnie old pal, blue not red 🤣🤣🤣) assemble it and and as much extra detail that I can manage. It will be a little diamond under the hood. 

IMG_4282.jpeg

IMG_4284.jpeg

IMG_4283.jpeg

IMG_4288.jpeg

IMG_4287.jpeg

IMG_4286.jpeg

IMG_4290.jpeg

IMG_4291.jpeg

IMG_4292.jpeg

IMG_4298.jpeg

IMG_4300.jpeg

Storming along Jeff, that engine is going to look amazing, love all the technicalities of trucks. When are you and the wife going on the big adventure…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The itch has started Jeff, you may convince me to start a truck project sooner or later. Fascinating technical creatures they are and the start of your build looks fantastic with the added detail.
You should try Alclad chrome or AK´s Extreme Metal, which is a tad less shiny but not at all bad. Polished aluminum is also an option. It´s not that hard, just strip the chrome, remove the seams, spray it high gloss black (I recommend Tamiya LP-1 and never use the AK black base for Extreme Metals, as it will stay tacky forever) and then on with the chrome in very thin layers, building up the shine, until the blackness of the base barely vanishes. Never flood the stuff.
Glad your engine purchase with SpotModel worked out, it´s my trusty vendor, when it comes to car modeling and the best packaging model shop ever.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

The itch has started Jeff, you may convince me to start a truck project sooner or later. Fascinating technical creatures they are and the start of your build looks fantastic with the added detail.
You should try Alclad chrome or AK´s Extreme Metal, which is a tad less shiny but not at all bad. Polished aluminum is also an option. It´s not that hard, just strip the chrome, remove the seams, spray it high gloss black (I recommend Tamiya LP-1 and never use the AK black base for Extreme Metals, as it will stay tacky forever) and then on with the chrome in very thin layers, building up the shine, until the blackness of the base barely vanishes. Never flood the stuff.
Glad your engine purchase with SpotModel worked out, it´s my trusty vendor, when it comes to car modeling and the best packaging model shop ever.

Cheers Rob

I’m glad there may be an itch for you to try a truck, I love that.

You are right, once again I need to step out of my comfort zone and try the Alclad  and or AK and that may add a more realistic finish…… I think I will put that on my list. I am going to have the chance to go to a real brick and mortar hobby shop in the next week or so and will look for the paints then. 
And Yes Spot model has the BEST packaging ever and great communications too. Thanks for that recommendation, Rob. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Okay, so now your trying to out detail me! Ha ha ha, just messing with you pal. This will be another proper truck from the Master trucker. And you need to post more of your stuff.😎😂🤣

Ron G 

I’m not so sure about that, I have seen your visions and Master Scratch building techniques, well outweigh anything I do. And not only that, I build at a snail’s pace. 

And I will post more IF you do too. 🤭🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣Your stuff is very cool and your scratch builds are even cooler. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So now, with the frame done and rear ends installed it is time to consider air lines. The plan is to go from the engine compressor to the Wabco Air drier, then to the ‘wet’ tank then the ‘dry’ tank, then on to the various valves and splitters to the brake chambers. Then a splash of paint. Had to make a couple brackets for some of the valves

IMG_4166.jpeg

IMG_4168.jpeg

IMG_4173.jpeg

IMG_4174.jpeg

• Like 4

You will note that I have not installed the air bags yet. I have got into the habit , good or bad to set the rear ends make sure that all 4 drivers touch the ground, do my plumbing and then install the bags. Usually an easy process but today those little ba*#+rds are fighting me. But I will WIN

• Like 2